Power Armor Degradation/Repair

Dear lord power armor. Power. Armor.

This at a glance seems like a nonchalant way of making a character invincible. I understand it is top of the ribbon material. But I mean come on nothing damages it. You can legitimately stand by a c-4 explosion and walk away like " Eh good explosion." The armor doesn’t even take a scratch… The immediate downside to the armor is the lack of carry weight really, but that is completely mitigated by carrying a shopping cart around with you. Which you can, and kill zombies mindlessly at the same time. It just makes zombies an " Annoyance" Rather than a threat. The only thing I have found power armor unable to do is stand in any type of hot surface ( at least the set I have Heavy Power Armor + Power Armor Helmet.) I’d really not say anything about it, but even if it was ultra rare, the ability it gives you to just roam around and do as you please is astounding. Once a set is acquired it just takes the game from " Man better not go in town today… " To " Lets read a book while several zombies beat me then just murder them once I get tired of reading. At this point " Filler damage chat" applies to what you see on your screen in terms of damage.

But maybe I’m just the " minority " here amoung us cataclysmers. But I just feel like maybe taking 500 hits = 1 damage or something… something that makes it a worthwhile item, while at the same time kind of hidden in the closet until shit hits the fan type deal.

I think you have valid points, it’s precisely supposed to be “use when usual levels of badass are insufficient”, but its limitations arent effective at making that happen.

What is supposed to happen is either:
It’s powered and you’re a total badass, but it’s using power quickly.
It’s not powered and you can barely move, your inability to move makes you vulnerable to even weak enemies.

Is the problem you’re seeing that it’s too easy to keep it powered all the time, you can use it without power, or both?

Personally, I only found power armor once (power helmets I found three times, but they don’t work without the body so they were just the world’s most expensive cereal bowls to those characters), I always got the impression that a power armor was a tank suit so the protection value seemed justified to me, but I kinda agree that the penalty for wearing it unpowered seems pretty null, considering how heavy it is I would think that maybe there should be a stamina penalty for moving in it in that state or some such.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:2, topic:14199”]I think you have valid points, it’s precisely supposed to be “use when usual levels of badass are insufficient”, but its limitations arent effective at making that happen.

What is supposed to happen is either:
It’s powered and you’re a total badass, but it’s using power quickly.
It’s not powered and you can barely move, your inability to move makes you vulnerable to even weak enemies.

Is the problem you’re seeing that it’s too easy to keep it powered all the time, you can use it without power, or both?[/quote]

Just having the armor equipped allows you to take insane abuse, and my char has 11 strength and I’m able to use non-powered armor with the little bar just going to / and then back to full every turn, it’s full essentially. Which allows me to still beat down things without much care, and it doesn’t really matter if it is not powered you can eat and just walk to a vehicle and roll away if you get tired of filler chat. I am using the very latest with a tile-set if that affects anything. Using a zweihander I got out of a museum my character laughs at all but brutes, which for some reason their throw causes a bit of damage internally to your character but doesn’t affect armor. My issue is that it just seems super op, but I use a cart to haul things back and forth to my vehicle, disassemble cart when done ravaging and then roll away in a RV in the suit. My real suggestion is just this. Make it over time degrade from abuse, persay 1 c4 explosion = from :::: to :::confused: or something of the similar to essentially the armor A. Has to be repaired or B. Thrown to the dogs if you get it as early as I have… since my skills to repair it would be devastatingly low. OR have it just not allow you to move when non-powered, or take a really steep speed penalty where wearing normal clothes would be better so per say from 100( base speed) to 10-20 with a suit that isn’t powered.

But hey I’m just a man playing this fucking awesome game and enjoying the fuck out of it, power armor or no power armor this game is fun.

That’s what I thought, this used to be crippling, but it’s shifted over time to not be so bad.

It’s good that’s working at least, that attack was specifically designed to bypass power armor.

This is what it’s supposed to do, it just got broken over time.