Please no random aboveground flaming eyes

[quote=“Ferodaktyl, post:4, topic:5070”]hmm, remove flaming eyes because they killed you. anything else killed you ?
You might not be aware, but there are people pushing for more monsters than can present some kind of danger to chars.[/quote]

That’s a pretty snarky attitude. If we’re allowing for deaths caused despite the player taking numerous precautions and through no fault of their own, why not add a 1-in-10,000 chance every step that you’re struck by lightning, a portal opens under your feet, or you succumb to undiagnosed cancer.

A gnome with a wand of death is a funny story to tell, but unless it’s a one in a million chance, if it starts happening with any sort of frequency, it’s a good way to have some very frustrated players and prevent any growth of the community.

So THAAATS how they got into my evac shelter basement!

That was a weird start, I had holes in my basement so I walked through, and ended up wandering around the subway, day 1.[/quote]

That’s actually really awesome! I’ve never encountered a situation like that, but it sounds very cool.

[quote=“juliawang87, post:21, topic:5070”]That’s a pretty snarky attitude. If we’re allowing for deaths caused despite the player taking numerous precautions and through no fault of their own, why not add a 1-in-10,000 chance every step that you’re struck by lightning, a portal opens under your feet, or you succumb to undiagnosed cancer.

A gnome with a wand of death is a funny story to tell, but unless it’s a one in a million chance, if it starts happening with any sort of frequency, it’s a good way to have some very frustrated players and prevent any growth of the community.[/quote]

This is techincally a one in a 1000 chance, first off, portals are rare random encounters; second, teleglow only has a an 8% of giving you the fungal parasite, which is completely fine, as you don’t really meet them that often, so its just the OP getting unlucky.

Should we also remove Jabberwocks because I have met them outside the evac shelter?

I agree, flaming eyes are fine. However if you didn’t wake up from fungal infection, now that would be a problem/bug.

Actually from my perspective the chance isn’t that low. In that playthrough I encountered a portal elsewhere(though luckily it didn’t spawn anything). And just before playing, I watched das’ LP, who also encountered a flaming eye close to the evac shelter, who also got hit by fungal infection, and who spent 2 episodes of the LP wondering about the weird, inexplicable symptoms.

So either there’s a lot of random chance involved here, or something added recently in experimental buffed the chance of encountering portals above ground quite a bit.

I noticed some strange ground once. (Think fungal related) that also spawned flaming eyes. OF course I didn’t have any problems with them. Nor did I get any teleglow (didn’t look like it at least).

If you already have a car then I find it hard to believe that it’s impossible to find fungicide or royal jelly before you die. Labs are very common and usually have large amounts of both. Unless the disease progresses a lot faster than when I last got it (also from an eye, incidentally)

By contrast I think a jabberwock outside the evac shelter is legitimately bad for the game and should be prevented if possible

[quote=“CIB, post:25, topic:5070”]Actually from my perspective the chance isn’t that low. In that playthrough I encountered a portal elsewhere(though luckily it didn’t spawn anything). And just before playing, I watched das’ LP, who also encountered a flaming eye close to the evac shelter, who also got hit by fungal infection, and who spent 2 episodes of the LP wondering about the weird, inexplicable symptoms.

So either there’s a lot of random chance involved here, or something added recently in experimental buffed the chance of encountering portals above ground quite a bit.[/quote]

Well they do say a one in a million chance happens 9 times out of 10 :stuck_out_tongue: Perhaps it would be worth seeing if flaming eye mechanics are worth changing, the wiki mentions that each stare gives you the disease for 800 turns and that they stack indefinitely, so if the eye stares at you 13 times you have much higher chance of getting it (possibly something nearing 50-75%)

Pfft, like if I knew how complex conditional probability works.

Why? You dont actually lose anything, worst case scenario you’ll have to repeat chargen if you didnt use a templante but you’ll still get a nice laugh out of the whole thing.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:16, topic:5070”]They didn’t. Eyes are one of those things that didn’t show up until the portals fluxed and the labs collapsed.

As for avoiding a flaming eye’s gaze, you can’t, even underground. The game literally draws a line from them to you and destroys anything it can’t see through that’s in the road. As for their effects, I’m not too worried about them. They will only spawn above ground when there is a portal nearby (or you have an artifact calling them) so you can avoid them if you aren’t ready, and the chance of actually suffering from fungal infection is minuscule, and even then fungal infection gives plenty of warning in time to fix it.[/quote]

Uh, are you sure?

mapgen.cpp at 3880 specifies that they can be spawned in the containment (and that’s where I met my first one, IIRC). The Stare’s in monattack.cpp at 1236, and it only inflicts teleglow if it didn’t destroy terrain.

:-/

You can hide but you can’t run.

By contrast I think a jabberwock outside the evac shelter is legitimately bad for the game and should be prevented if possible

A minimum distance for some monsters is a good idea.

As for flaming eyes, I say they should be toned down a bit - or their attacks made more clear (KA101 & iamroy2, your posts show that no one’s clear on how they work).

Perhaps just let the teleglow thing only work one in (distance to player/2) times?

So it is guaranteed in close combat, But rapidly drops while distant.

(The /2 is just a rand choice here, should probably be higher).

Looking at the stare function:

if (g->sees_u(z->posx(), z->posy(), j)) {
  g->add_msg(_("The %s stares at you, and you shudder."), z->name().c_str());
  g->u.add_disease("teleglow", 800);
 }

The teleglow disease is additive, so every time this activates you get 800 more turns of teleglow.

The timer on the stare attack is 12. No idea if that is in moves, or in turns (100 moves). It gets reduced every time monster::move is called. So it probably depends on the monsters speed.

My suggestion to make teleglow a % chance depending on range still stands.

[quote=“CIB, post:25, topic:5070”]Actually from my perspective the chance isn’t that low. In that playthrough I encountered a portal elsewhere(though luckily it didn’t spawn anything). And just before playing, I watched das’ LP, who also encountered a flaming eye close to the evac shelter, who also got hit by fungal infection, and who spent 2 episodes of the LP wondering about the weird, inexplicable symptoms.

So either there’s a lot of random chance involved here, or something added recently in experimental buffed the chance of encountering portals above ground quite a bit.[/quote]

Yeah. With the version I’m playing (downloaded last night I think, I referenced the number in my bug report attempt), both games had multiple nether portals within easy walking distance of my spawn area, and neither area had fungicide anywhere around. The second one I said f-this and wished some antifungals. Two games back to back of this was just rage inducing. I’ve encountered Flaming eyes before from range, and never had the Teleglow take effect. I only saw it look at me once these last two times, but 100% teleglow effect. Something is fishy, IMO.

Teleglow has a variety of effects all with fairly low chances of happening. It’s fairly likely that you just didn’t experience any serious symptoms from the earlier times.

As for portal amounts, it seems like somebody forgot to take into account the effect on other random field spawns when they removed some from the list (Since it’s a “pick one of these” type things), thus basically doubling the chance of a portal spawning. It should hopefully be fixed very soon in the experimental.

Now THAT makes sense! lol. I still don’t like that the Flaming Eyes can effect you with Teleglow when they aren’t even on the sightmap (or the portal for that matter), but at least there is a reason they were showing up like mad for a bit! =)

The terrain-destroying effect could also stand to be tuned down a little, so it doesn’t destroy half the world chasing you across the map. As it stands it’s completely impossible for the scientists to have held them captive for any length of time.

[quote=“Soyweiser, post:33, topic:5070”]Looking at the stare function:

if (g->sees_u(z->posx(), z->posy(), j)) {
  g->add_msg(_("The %s stares at you, and you shudder."), z->name().c_str());
  g->u.add_disease("teleglow", 800);
 }

The teleglow disease is additive, so every time this activates you get 800 more turns of teleglow.

The timer on the stare attack is 12. No idea if that is in moves, or in turns (100 moves). It gets reduced every time monster::move is called. So it probably depends on the monsters speed.

My suggestion to make teleglow a % chance depending on range still stands.[/quote]

I’ve melee’d an eye to death before. Got blinding and hallucination much later. I’d hit it enough that I think special-recharge is in turns, not in moves.

Yeah it is in turns. Not moves, as it is decreased every time the monster move fucntion is called.

I was just gonna post here that I just encountered a patch of 8 or somesuch marloss berry bushes guarded by 3 flaming eyes. I didn’t know about flaming eyes. I killed all 3 of them with a pneumatic rifle. That took about 60 bearings and quite some time being stared at. Had to retreat twice for being blinded, but that was okay, as the eyes were too busy dancing with 2 grackens to even bother going after me.
So now they were dead. Then I started hallucinating and getting the shakes, so I decided to read up on the eyes and found this thread. If what I understand is true, 800 turns of teleglow per stare, I likely have least 80k turns of teleglow on me. Slightly worried about teleporting out of my car I decided to risk a short drive to my frozen lab base. Took some antifungals to be sure (haven’t found blood analysis CBM yet) and started snorting coke and reading books to pass time. I mean 80k turns is a lot, but not infinite. Hallucinations past eventually, I did some short teleportations, a blank body spawned from a portal and provided some tasty human flesh, my stats dropped a ton, despite using antifungals.

So I was gonna ask why my stats dropped and I still had the shakes despite using antifungals. But then the game crashed while I was writing this because it does that sometimes when alt-tabbed out. So I guess I’m back the save before I encountered the eyes. I hope I can still find them again in that same spot. I really wanted to find out if one can survive being stared at x100.