Plastic bottles vs canteens & waterskins

There’s no point to having canteens & waterskins- they take up the same space but have a weight.
Plastic bottles don’t.
3 bottles>military canteen>leather waterskin

They’re also so epidemic they’re disposable, while the other two take luck or skill to acquire.
Stats ought to be tweaked.

I tend to use gallon jugs for my traveling water, for convenience - ten units of water is easy to purify in one go and it lasts a long time.

Eventually we might see waterskins and canteens function as wearable containers, so that would make them very useful.

True, but in the meantime they’re pointless for anyone who’d rather deal with a slight inconvenience than pay a weight toll. Tweaking the values a bit would make them sought-after items, to match their scarcity.

I collect up plastic bottles/canteens to cut them into plastic chunks, I use plastic jerrycans for all my liquids.
Starting off I use whatever I can find, usually gallon jugs, but eventually you can turn the jugs into jerrycans, which make it a lot more convenient to collect up water and gasoline.

Also a good place to store your liquor, I’ve got 3 jerrycans full of liquor now, working on the 4th, 5th, and 6th, I keep whiskey, rum, and vodka. The rest of it is supporting my significant molotov stockpiles.

Though having wearable containers would be most excellent.

I find myself running into the 75 item limit when I try to hoard water bottles so I find the canteens very useful.

When they’re on your person, the plastic bottles stack. They only count as one ‘item’ because they only take up one character.

[quote=“Weyrling, post:4, topic:3292”][/quote]
For long-term storage, yeah the jerrycan is fine. But if you’re carrying one around with you for water, that’s 3.5 lbs you wouldn’t have if you carried 40 plastic bottles instead.

Actually it’s only ~2.35 lbs. Plastic jerrycans weigh 1587 grams (3.5 lbs) but plastic bottles weigh 13 grams each, meaning 40 of them comes out to 520 g (1.15 lbs).

Actually it’s only ~2.35 lbs. Plastic jerrycans weigh 1587 grams (3.5 lbs) but plastic bottles weigh 13 grams each, meaning 40 of them comes out to 520 g (1.15 lbs).[/quote]

Hrm, 10 of them don’t show up as having .1 weight…
Kinda confusing that stacked weight/volume is kept track of for other things (like arrows) but not bottles. Or comestibles it seems. blargh, I’m off to bed.

[quote=“GrizzlyAdamz, post:8, topic:3292”]Hrm, 10 of them don’t show up as having .1 weight…
Kinda confusing that stacked weight/volume is kept track of for other things (like arrows) but not bottles. Or comestibles it seems. blargh, I’m off to bed.[/quote]
I think the big difference here is between things that track by charges (such as ammo or most comestibles) as opposed to things that don’t (like rocks or containers). Things that track by ammo will change their value as you get more, because they are actually tracked as a single item (that increases in weight/volume as it gains more charges). Other things like bottles won’t show an increase when examined, because you are still only examining a single bottle out of a stack. Your overall weight should still go up though.

(Yeah it’s a stupid system at times, but that’s just the way it is at the moment. We’re working to make it better, and the longer the game keeps going the better that system is going to get. :smiley: )

At the moment I think the 3.5l glass jar is the best thing to carry water in.

You get a ton of drinks for the weight/volume. Unless my math is wonky, that’s the conclusion I came to immediately after crafting a waterskin and realizing “this is useless”.

Also the quivers. Might be nice if I never found a backpack but otherwise not worth the .5 encumberance for the tiny storage.

Large quivers or small quivers? Small ones don’t cover anything, so they only affect your weight total.

Ha, well it’s certainly best for volume. Still on the heavy side, but I did not know that. Heeey, isn’t fluid non-compressible?

Ah, I was crafting the large quiver.

I just like the thought of wandering around with a quiver full of arrows on my back alongside my ruck.

Ya still can- wear two of them and you can imagine one on your hip as well.

-the small ones that is.

I was hoping that eventually waterskins could have a variable volume depending on how much water they contained. If they are not rigid (and they shouldn’t be totally rigid), then they should take up less space as you drink water.

Right now I am playing with a strong-ish character. I prefer a waterskin/canteen over bottles because I am constantly faced with the 75 item limit AND the inventory bug that makes my bottles jump letters all the time (and duplicate letters). GRRR… so frustrating. It’s inevitable that I end up drinking bleach. I never carry bleach/ammonia because of this. Plastic bottles take 3 inventory letters: 1 for empty bottles, 1 for partially drunk bottles, and 1 for full bottles. If you don’t leave enough room, then you get letter collisions when you take a drink.

Now I’m curious, can you ‘bind’ an item to a character, so it always reserves it? This feature was present in Dungeon Crawl, and saved my tail on many occasions in that universe

You can assign new letters to items in your inventory using =

It doesn’t reserve them though, and occaisionally some lingering bugs in the inventory system cause those characters to get jumbled or duplicated.