Floating/Air Vehicles

This is just an idea, but once multi-z levels are implemented, why not have helicopters, harriers, and hoverboards as controllable vehicles? Maybe you could find these in military bases and such, along with military vehicles, and there could even be map locations that are specifically for air vehicles, like airstrips and helipads, obviously with mostly inoperable vehicles and ridiculously high security, making it a distant goal for players. Maybe to implement them as reasonable in the world, the player could fly them along just like driving a car, and see a faint (grayed) level below them, landing would collide with whatever was on the ground, and flying them into buildings would obviously destroy them and probably kill the player.
Obviously they would consume a ton of fuel and be extremely difficult to fly, but it would be worth it to try because it would streamline exploration like nothing else. The player could run out of fuel quickly and crash, with a chance to survive with a great deal of damage.
Still, I can’t help but think how cool it would be to run a harrier into an apartment tower and bust out guns blazing at the inhabitant zombies.

I like this idea A LOT!

how about when flying you’re on a “flying screen” which would be much like the world map screen, and then to land use the appropriate hotkey to reduce power. this takes you back down into the main screen where you have a very limited number of turns to either:

A: select a spot to land
B: abort the landing and return to the “flying screen”

and after the mounted weapons shooting your own vehicle issue has been fixed, add flying monsters that you can engage in dogfights.

I’ll like my airship base. Perhaps even fish from it if I anchor it over a lake.

BRING ME MY TOOLSET

WE’RE GONNA MAKE THE RMCC FLY MOTHERFUCKERS.

[size=1pt](Okay, not the RMCC but rather someone’s drawing of the carrier from Robotech, but you get the idea.)[/size]

IT HAS AN EFFICIENCY OF 1500 GALLONS PER INCH!

Considering running a jet engine to keep something in the air takes an ungodly amount of fuel it might call for something else… …LIKE PROPELLERS. ALL THE PROPELLERS.

Or a blimp, that runs on batteries. Or the dialogue of NPCs.

Or a hand-crank, single-seat “helicopter” that runs like a bicycle.

Considering running a jet engine to keep something in the air takes an ungodly amount of fuel it might call for something else… …LIKE PROPELLERS. ALL THE PROPELLERS.[/quote]

STEAM PUNK, HO!

That would be pretty cool

The legitimacy of this idea should probably not be the subject of agreement, only the feasibility of implementation. It would really work better with proper z-levels, but we all know how that turned out.

1. You’re negative all the darn time, Inadequate. Lighten up.

2. How will we know what we’re landing on?

View shifting, but With Z levels!

Or alternatively make your pkane though enough to withstand anything, whatever was obstructing your landing strip there wont be there after you land. I look forward to the first flying steamroller.

I look forward to seeing the RMCC fly.

My idea is that you see a faded view of the ground below you, sort of in the distance or what not, possibly grayed text as if it was hazy. Then you would know where you were in the world and not just be flying around in empty space and checking your map every three seconds to see where you were, because let’s face it, that would be both tedious and boring. You’d need to see the ground level, at least during the day, for flight to be reasonable at all.

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:11, topic:4867”]1. You’re negative all the darn time, Inadequate. Lighten up.

2. How will we know what we’re landing on?[/quote][quote=“gtaguy, post:12, topic:4867”]View shifting, but With Z levels![/quote][quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:3, topic:4867”]how about when flying you’re on a “flying screen” which would be much like the world map screen, and then to land use the appropriate hotkey to reduce power. this takes you back down into the main screen where you have a very limited number of turns to either:

A: select a spot to land
B: abort the landing and return to the “flying screen”

and after the mounted weapons shooting your own vehicle issue has been fixed, add flying monsters that you can engage in dogfights.[/quote]i mean seriously does no one even read my fucking posts?

This. So much this. Exactly this. This. Please. This.

Also, i think we should have an special fuel for aircrafts… i mean, it is the future, we can run on gas all time.
Also, should helicopters have a different system than planes, for example? This is something to think about.

This. So much this. Exactly this. This. Please. This.

Also, i think we should have an special fuel for aircrafts… i mean, it is the future, we can run on gas all time.
Also, should helicopters have a different system than planes, for example? This is something to think about.[/quote]helicopters would obviously be relatively easy to do, not sure how planes would work other than hovering planes like Harriers. you’d need a way to allow for landing gear kicking in and then rolling to a stop. i think for now the devs should just focus on getting the z-levels and a hovering aircraft implemented.

I don’t think artificially limiting resources like that makes much sense realistically. Being limited to regular gas would probably be enough, considering it’s already a limited resource.

[quote=“Inadequate, post:19, topic:4867”]I don’t think artificially limiting resources like that makes much sense realistically. Being limited to regular gas would probably be enough, considering it’s already a limited resource.[/quote]until we’re able to craft it :wink: