Permanent Base Locations

Yeah, 02Feb got lucky and had a Lab with small dorm and two chem-rooms on the top floor. Excellent base.

One place that I tried but never finished (this was back in May or so) was a Lava rift. It put out a fair amount of light and heat, and was a few map squares fro the shelter, so I thought it might be worth making a cabin near it to stay warm over the winter.

In practice? Lots and lots of trees needed for a fairly small shelter. That and managing the heat wasn’t trivial. But I think it could have been worthwhile, had I not updated to the June version.

In 0.8 I found an LMOE shelter out in the woods. Perfect base if you don’t mind living away from the cities. It was neat since I wanted to prepare in peace for my excursions to science labs, triffid groves and the like. I even built an aboveground garage for my vehicle, with a built-in kitchen and welding rig (custom-built it into an alcove, with the solar panel part exposed to the sun).

I also made a secondary base under the starting shelter, connecting it to the local subway with a new tunnel and making a few new rooms, including a fireplace. I even considered building a vehicle for quick underground transport.

It lasted over the course of several characters living and dying.

Then my life became busy and I never got back to the game until v0.9 came out.

Now I’m going to build a Dwarf Fortress style base by expanding a house basement and connecting it to all local points of interest via existing subway/sewage tunnels. There’s even a lava flow nearby, although I can’t think of any uses to it except as garbage dump.

I’m currently living out of a house with a survivalist basement. Had a frankly ridiculous amount of guns, plus beds for my insomniac hobo. Cleared out the surrounding area with a combination of automagnum and fists, and now it’s actually fairly liveable. Zombears are incredibly annoying, if only because they sometimes break vehicle parts that I want to keep while trying to force their way inside. Luckily, the flammenschwert I made a little while ago clears them out pretty well. Might try migrating to a lab, or try to find a LMOE shelter, I don’t know, but survivalist basements make a nice place to pile the vast amounts of permafood and other crap you find while looting a town. Only complaint is lack of permanent water, so I’ll either move for the winter or just stockpile ridiculous amounts of water in tank arrays.

Generally I like to find somewhere nice and then inexorably scour the surroundings of anything of worth, such that the ‘base’ becomes little more than a sinkhole of loot with a bed attached. Problems occur when I run out of places to loot within comfortable walking distance, and I’m loathe to leave my hoard behind to seek a new base. Driving is ok, but I’m not overly fond of it.

LAVA MOAT! Not sure if possible but it’s a cool possibility to think about.

I like the increased basement spawn rate, makes it easy to find grow labs in which to farm my strawberries, blueberries, wheat, and weed. When the world runs out of tinned beans and MREs, I will still have bread and jam :slight_smile:

Its a shame that zombie apocalypses are almost always boring after like, the 3rd year. Once the ruins of the old world are picked clean, it stops being a zombie thing and becomes more of a “frontier” thing, where you are worrying about crop blight and raiders, just with some cosmetic differences like perhaps having a computer in the town library, or some working tractors on the farm.

Make sure when you take a mansion for a base for example to board all the entrances else critters will spawn inside.

I just had a go at a regional school, and I have some advice. The best way of clearing it is with traps. Play it smart.

Put down wood and set it on fire, etc. I tried brute forcing it, and there were about 5 zombie kids left, sounds easy, but they got me. Got my highest ever kill count though, 95.

It would have been a great base as well, heaps of storage, food, rooms… :frowning:

I have been living out of a good sized house on the edge of a large city thats about 5 map tiles away from a forest. A few days after clearing the zombies out wildlife moved in so using my awesome Krav Magna skills and my new sling I have a near infinite amount of perishible food and since im in a city I just have to go into a new street, clear out the zombies and then loot the place for non-perishables. 8 levels in both unarmed and melee are very VERY useful you know. :stuck_out_tongue:
Built a bunch of spike pits and traps outside the backyard and i`m using everything outside the bedroom as an invasion buffer, and have been getting water from the local toilets and boiling it and cooking my bear meat at a nearby fire pit. I even have a bunch a camping supplies incase I get overrun or need to go elsewhere for supplies.

Yes I am long winded at times. :smiley:

I use an LMOE shelter and jackhammer out new rooms as I need them.

My current base is a Public Works, at which I had used a very lucky truck to clear out its former electro-zombie inhabitants. I’m now modifying it to serve as a temporary 3+ day shelter until I can find enough supplies and materials to move to find another town (which, with the settings I had put it at, are very small and often lack shops).

I may turn that truck into a sort of mobile base for a life on the road as the towns are not large enough to warrant being a worthy place to settle down.

Past (attempts at) bases have included:

• Mansions
  • Farms
  • LMOE bunkers
  • Churches
  • Cabins
  • Vehicles
  • Travel by foot, AKA backpacking.
    But so far I have not played a game long enough for any of them to have had any actual effect.

I like using garages as a base. They’re usually in town so they’re good jump points when you need supplies, and they have a ton of open indoor space. Get bored? No problem, build a mobile base inside in near perfect safety and head out.

The road is my home.

Garages are too small for building an MFB… Build it in a school (or an apartment complex hallway, or office building… etc), knock down a wall to get it out.

Same here, I used to holed up in office towers or some random house in the outskirt, I never bother to make my own base and my temporary base got littered up pretty fast so I just left and find a new place.

Now, most of the time I spent is on the road, carrying with me pan/pot to boil water, plastic bottles, medicine/drug, some canned food, crowbar and weapons (1 melee, 1 ranged, 1 backup/throwing). Guess I’m more suited for a nomadic life.

I personally prefer staying at an LMOE shelter then have an RV like truck where I can go on week long excursions without fear of running out of food and water. it has worked well for me. I end up surviving quite awhile.

Garages are too small for building an MFB… Build it in a school (or an apartment complex hallway, or office building… etc), knock down a wall to get it out.[/quote]

That’s because you just slap wheels on a house and call it an MFB. Most of us don’t need a 2 acre vehicle. Slightly bigger than an RV is plenty of space. My next mobile base will most likely be a tour bus.

My current “mobile base” is a heavily armored 3x4 micro-ATV. Very nimble, can slip between some obstacles and crash through others without taking too much damage. I didn’t install a kitchen unit because it tends to break by a sneeze.

Garages are too small for building an MFB… Build it in a school (or an apartment complex hallway, or office building… etc), knock down a wall to get it out.[/quote]

That’s because you just slap wheels on a house and call it an MFB. Most of us don’t need a 2 acre vehicle. Slightly bigger than an RV is plenty of space. My next mobile base will most likely be a tour bus.[/quote]

I’ll admit I used to live out of an RV that I stuck an extended cabin in the back (For weapons) but it got to small to hold all my shit regularly, couldn’t even hold a full batch worth of supplies to make a few gallons of Mutigen, so… I upgraded to the MFB’s first incarnation, played with that for awhile then upgraded to the Bread Sled (it was two tiles wider but just as long, fast, armored, etc) upgraded to the RMCC when the vehicle size limit was removed, downgraded to the MFB when I found out about the lag, and now I’m upgrading the MFB’s design… It’s an odd circle, I just can’t stand staying still long. Cities run out of crap fast and hunting bores the shit out of me.

Besides that, the MFB is mine, not some poor bastard’s home or a school, church, whatever where I’ve got to deal with the fact that god only knows what had happened there before I moved in. Less bad mojo in a house on wheels built from the ashes of a city… IF MAGMA CAN CURE THE SINS OF DWARVES, FIRE IS AS CLOSE AS I CAN GET IN CDDA AND STILL HAVE SOMETHING USEABLE IN THE END. XD

Now that we have quarterpanels along with boards, it’s shanty time. If I was just itsy-bitsy more interested - it would be Transformers time.

:wink:

Ekarus…

I think we’re going to need to have a talk, mister.

You know how previous versions didn’t have as many cars?

That’s because your gigantic ass vehicles are going back in time and taking them from previous versions. Eventually you’re going to catch up to current.

That’s right. You are retroactively removing cars from history by building vehicles that big!