Oxidizer powder and things

My experience with the cooking skill is that, since cooking (usually meat and water) is more or less essential for survival, and something you’ll do more or less everyday, it’s almost guaranteed to be your highest skill. I usually wind up with a double-digit cooking skill and nothing much to do with it, save for the relatively rare occasions when some chemistry needs to be done. If you’re going to split off chemistry into its own skill, that’s not entirely unreasonable… but you shouldn’t do that before you add something else to make high levels of cooking worthwhile, given that there aren’t many hard recipes out there. Maybe hold off on the split until the tool/crafting quality system is in place, so high levels of cooking (and better cooking tools) actually get you better-tasting food?

Honestly, I just cook chunks of meat and boil water. I almost never bother with any of the other cooking recipes except to stockpile flour in case I don’t feel like blasting the wildlife. I don’t see much of a use for cooking as a whole past that point, except for mutagen and purifier, though I do support chemistry getting its own skill. You could move battery making to chemistry, and just about anything involving acid or tear gas, and probably complicated explosives and gunpowder too.

For higher level cooking to really be useful, the food that you can cook at 0 skill shouldn’t be so good. Chunks of meat have a literally infinite supply, you get multiple for every wild animal you butcher, and provide 40 nutrition, enough to require about 3-4 a day, or one wolf butchered at decent skill. Maybe adding quality in would shake things up a bit. Level 0 cooking chunk of meat creates “questionably cooked chunk of meat” that lowers morale has a chance to give food poisoning, while at lvl 10, you get “expertly minced deer tenderloin with fresh blueberries” that gives a long lasting boost to morale, and possibly a stat boost as well.

[quote=“Miloch, post:15, topic:3468”]Exactly, Rivet.
KA101, don’t immediately assume the worst about a suggestion. Geeze. Try to think about it a bit before you immediately disagree with it. The devs here have more then shown that they can implement things in an intelligent manner.[/quote]

I did. Quite a bit, actually, so I’ll thank you for backing off, and I’ve disagreed with the devs often enough that I’ll also disagree with your faith in them.

I’m just gonna say that I’ve been burned a LOT more often than I’ve been supported here.

Go take a look at the martial arts threads, if you want a current example. (I wrote that wiki page on trying to help people get a handle on the existing system. Haven’t seen any respect for that at all. Gets aggravating.)

Well I disagree that you thought it through well enough. But we’ll have to agree to disagree as I do not want a flame war. Any issues you have with the devs are your issues. Beyond that I think the Devs have stated plainly that if they did something like I suggested they would re-balance the chemistry skill to make more sense and the cooking skill would also probalby get a general re-balance. You can’t pull apart something like the current cooking skill without doing a re-balance to account for the “missing recipes” that are now not included in that group.