Overpowered Stuff in CDDA, from a New Player's Perspective

There is no fixed “base”, it’s 1 tile per 3 points of perception.

Or you can just start with one of the professions that has in-build full-strength night-vision bionics. Which is arguably even more effective than using trait points for night vision.

Base for an average character.

Ability to start a game with full night vision doesn’t make nightvision trait not overpowered, it makes that option even more overpowered.

Sounds like you’re just being a contrarian on this issue, the only point I made was that seeing in total darkness is too easy both in game terms, for my taste, and compared to reality. You can disagree if you want but I haven’t seen any relevant objections yet.

The only thing I’m saying is that the trait itself is really nothing special. It’s pretty good, but the only thing it actually does is it adds one tile to the darkness sight radius. Very useful on many builds, but hardly unique or overpowered.
Also it does lose it’s usefulness pretty quickly in mid/late game.

For you but not all, you want to be blind at night and get attacked by shadies and still not able to see them that’s fun right

Yeah, I really have troubles with some of the arguments about overpowered/not overpowered. Choosing to start as a functional cyborg is already choosing to start in easy mode. If you don’t like starting that way, don’t pick that character class.

The problem with bionics to me is not that they’re powerful, but that they offer no negatives.

I suggested in another thread bionics adding to the character’s carry weight or perhaps encumbrance as there’s no reason a bionic that isn’t using power to increase mobility shouldn’t have some kind of weight on the player.

Making them add weight will make strength (already the best stat) even better.
Just saying.

Also, bionic soldeir, for example:
(installed) CBM:Targeting System
(installed) CBM:Air Filtration System
(installed) CBM:Subdermal Carbon Filament
(installed) CBM:Integrated Dosimeter
(installed) CBM:Adrenaline Pump
(installed) CBM:Implanted Night Vision
(installed) CBM:Metabolic Interchange
(installed) CBM:Power Storage Mk. II

So where exactly would the encumbrance be…?

Oddly enough I actually see really well at night so you could say that I have night vision IRL. Of course no one can see in total darkness but outdoors is rarely totally dark. I agree that if you go underground or into a cave tho you shouldn’t be able to see anything. I would agree that it allows you to safly loot at night before they added shades. With them I actually find it harder to do so. Some of what you put here is based very much so on what build your using. If you find it too easy make some adjustments to the build or settings, thats what I have done to make the game harder :slight_smile:

Batteries are heavy, they’re inside your torso, if it doesn’t encumber because it’s inside, it still weighs something, it’s still something your spine must support.

Carbon nanotubes is still armour underneath your skin, no matter how fancy it is, you’ll at least feel that slightly when moving.

The air filtration system provides more for air to go through before it hits your bloodstream, at least 1 mouth encumbrance. where obviously a dust or gas mask would still give far more encumbrance, so it’s still beneficial, make sense?

Let’s say the cranial flashlight, that’s going to be something that can be smashed and should slightly lower head hp.

Think about how much space the CBM item takes up and how much it weighs, you’ve got your answer :stuck_out_tongue:

It should be a question, do I want to become more than human?
This is part of the humanity you sacrifice when becoming that.
Small downsides, where the positives still outweigh the negatives, after all, they are bionic enhancements, but they do still exist, much like mutations.

Obviously the military grade, fancier, less encumbering, higher tech stuff has less downsides, but again, they’re still adding mass to your body regardless of high tech they are.

When bionics are not powered, they are still inert hunks of plastic, metal, silicone no mater how much fancy ‘superalloys’ you use.

Careful about saying people disgust you. There are pretty clear rules about being civil on this forum.

That said, there’s merit to both systems.
Bionics having weight means that strength directly affects how many bionics a person can practically have which, I think, is a good thing. A larger person with more muscle mass does have more actual volume within which to store bionics. You could still have a similar system for a point limit, that more strength gives you more points, as could mutations like large and huge, or having a tail or extra body parts.

There’s also something to be said for the fact that we don’t know how much space a bionic might take up, and there’s room for some infrastructure to be common, e.g targeting system bionic, telescopic eyes, and infrared vision. Those all involve replacing or enhancing the eye with cameras, so they could all share a great deal of actual space. Whether we actually want to have things like that for game balance reasons is another matter, but I think using a system with no hard caps, only soft limits, would be a good idea.

Perhaps both, you get a certain number of “free” installation points, beyond that anything new added to an area has weight and encumbrance penalties.

You know as well as I do that adding even MORE benefits to having high strength is the last thing we need in the current meta.

And adding weight to bionics will do just that.

P.S. I can see the argument behind balancing bionics to have more limitations/drawbacks, but strength is already more than useful enough of a stat to give it even more benefits.

It’s a step in the right direction. Adding SOME sort of limit to bionics is going to be necessary before too long, putting it on strength would be a necessary evil. There’s still a lot to do in terms of making the other stats more important. That said, it wouldn’t actually be a direct boost to strength. It just makes carrying weight somewhat more important.

Perhaps you could have different penalties depending on where the bionic is installed, e.g the penalties for eye bionics could be negated with perception, neural bionics like enhanced memory and utility bionics like the integrated toolset could be negated with intelligence, etc.

Maybe the stats are treated as limits, I.E if you have 8 intelligence you can only have 8 intelligence based bionics.
Maybe each stat negates part of the penalties. Intelligence sets a hard limit, or negates an increasing installation success rate malus, strength reduces the weight of installed bionics, dexterity reduces encumbrance penalties, perception… does something. Maybe improves the efficiency of certain bionics?

Perception is the hardest stat to balance by far.

Current stat meta in a nutshell. :rofl:

Yeah. Perception is the ugly duckling right now, by far.

In the past few years here was some people with that kind of attitude. I saw them repeatedly banned and finally ignored by the community. Others just marked their posts and moved on.

Many users on this forum are arguing in a friendly manner, it is not that hard to act like one.

It is simple solution and in a past there was a similar design in the game. It was not enforced, you saw the free space per limbs but still the game allowed to install infinite CBMs, like now. I don’t know why it was discarded, maybe there was no solid agreement about the number of CBMs per limbs? I would like to see something like that again in the game.

The intended limit to bionics are indeed the slots, which will be implemented god-knows-when. Honestly as long as they do have this limit, I find a downside to them unnecessary as much as game balance is concerned. Progression is part of any game, and not everything needs to come with an attached downgrade.

Yeah, limiting bionics to slots would be the main downside. It’s not an overall downside, because there doesn’t have to be a negative to having bionics overall anymore than there has to be a negative to using weapons… But it provides a check and balance to make you think about what bionics you want instead of indiscriminately adding all of them.

Some of the really clunky ones should also add encumbrance. In particular I think the integrated toolset should encumber one hand and arm. Not a ton, but like 10-20 (maybe it’s actually semi random based on the installer skills). Enough to make you have to choose between, say, an integrated toolset or a survivors utility belt without one being the auto pick.

Survivors utility belt will be the auto pick.
Why have irremovable encumbrance if you can have removable encumbrance?

Because Integrated toolset does far more than a survivor toolbelt, draws from the internal power supply, and doesn’t occupy weight or inventory volume. Also it encumbers one arm rather than the torso, which has value for different builds… If it is my shield arm, I don’t mind at all