Npcs don't sleep when I do

Forgive any typos and the like; I’m on my phone. I will be brief. In the latest experimental with the npc sleep code, my followers seem to want to sleep in the middle of the day, whereas I am on a standard schedule. I suggest that an option be created such that npcs can be asked to sleep when player sleeps. I can’t bring them on runs because they’re constantly whining during the day. Maybe just disable npc sleep for now?

Also I should mention that my npcs rarely equip good weapons and default to unarmed or crossbows or the like when I’ve given them much better choices with which they would be quite skilled according to their character sheets.

Npcs have come a long way but still need just a bit of work to be decent. Still, best RL of all time and easily one of the best games of all time, full stop.

Oh and curing infections w antibiotics and stopping the flow of blood with bandages aren’t implemented for npcs, but those are known issues.

I’d rather tone down NPC whining than disabling sleep. I set the values a bit too high. Sleep is the only way to heal them without resources.
Or maybe make it so that a whining NPC will go to sleep instead of waking the player up with whining if it notices that the player is asleep.
NPCs aren’t sleeping when the player sleeps for two reasons: one is so that they can guard you, the other is that tiredness limits their ability to fall asleep.

NPCs equip melee weapons which deal the most damage in shortest time (for melee).
For ranged weapons, the NPCs count all the ammo in the weapon and in own inventory, calculate a rough estimate of weapon’s murder capabilities and modify it by ammo availability. If the weapon has good melee capabilities too, some of that will be used to calculate gun value. If a ranged weapon is also a good melee weapon, it will also be treated as such.

You can check how “valuable” the weapons are by turning on the debug mode (check keybindings) and then trying to hand NPC a new weapon.

If the NPCs keep rejecting weapons, it may be because the calculations aren’t too fine-tuned, but it may as well be because unfortunately many of the weapons in game are crap. Fists are actually quite good.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:3, topic:10737”]I’d rather tone down NPC whining than disabling sleep. I set the values a bit too high. Sleep is the only way to heal them without resources.
Or maybe make it so that a whining NPC will go to sleep instead of waking the player up with whining if it notices that the player is asleep.
NPCs aren’t sleeping when the player sleeps for two reasons: one is so that they can guard you, the other is that tiredness limits their ability to fall asleep.

NPCs equip melee weapons which deal the most damage in shortest time (for melee).
For ranged weapons, the NPCs count all the ammo in the weapon and in own inventory, calculate a rough estimate of weapon’s murder capabilities and modify it by ammo availability. If the weapon has good melee capabilities too, some of that will be used to calculate gun value. If a ranged weapon is also a good melee weapon, it will also be treated as such.

You can check how “valuable” the weapons are by turning on the debug mode (check keybindings) and then trying to hand NPC a new weapon.

If the NPCs keep rejecting weapons, it may be because the calculations aren’t too fine-tuned, but it may as well be because unfortunately many of the weapons in game are crap. Fists are actually quite good.[/quote]

That’s curious, but why is it that when I use the Debug Menu to strip an NPC completely ass-naked and remove all their weapons, they still refuse to wear Power Armor? I’ve got three sets of light power armor sitting in my Armory, all unused because the little shits refuse to put it on. I’d love to keep them safer, but it seems they’re still too dumb to live.

Thanks, guys! And Cool, thanks for all you’re doing for this game and community.

It’s good to know what you’ve just told me. My only concern regarding sleep is that, if the sleep schedules (player and NPC) are diametrically opposed, it’s hard to take NPCs on runs with you. Perhaps you could introduce a command to make a given NPC try to sleep when the player sleeps. Proper consumption of NyQuil et al. by NPCs given such a command would help. And then a given NPC’s diurnal schedule could be adjusted.

I’m sort of a newbie, but I also think that the inability to cure infections and staunch the flow of blood are the two remaining major hiccups for NPCs. Thanks so much! Introducing hunger and thirst will help for realism and balance, but I think that once the other issues mentioned here are resolved NPCs will be great assets with minimal headaches, whereas they are presently great assets with great headaches and occasionally (and quite fairly) headshot machines to end my life.

Weapon functions are done quite well, but armoring ones are barely scratched.
NPC won’t wear any armor above x point of encumbrance, which light power armor happens to go above. I think the values are ~30 for most body parts.
They also won’t pick own armor and depend on the player to tell them what to wear.

[quote=“Love, post:5, topic:10737”]Proper consumption of NyQuil et al. by NPCs given such a command would help. And then a given NPC’s diurnal schedule could be adjusted.

I’m sort of a newbie, but I also think that the inability to cure infections and staunch the flow of blood are the two remaining major hiccups for NPCs. Thanks so much! Introducing hunger and thirst will help for realism and balance[/quote]

Yeah, having NPCs consume stuff player gives them is one of the things I wanted to add. The problem is, most of the usable items are hardcoded with player in mind, meaning I can’t just “flip a switch” to enable NPCs to use them.
For example, first aid kit displays a menu, which means that NPCs can’t use it as easily as the player.
It may be easier for drugs (including antibiotics, alcohol, nyquil and ambien), because those can be used in only one way.

Hunger and thirst are disabled for the same reason sleep was disabled, except more so. With sleep, you can just tell them to stop whining and go to sleep. With food, you’d have to give them said food, possibly feeding them every single peanut by hand.
Additionally there is the issue of reality bubble. NPCs “don’t exist” when not loaded into game. This means they wouldn’t go hungry while player was far away. This has to be solved before hunger and thirst for NPCs start making sense.

Gret! My npcs should still sleep when I am far though, correct? Since I’ve already discovered them and hired them.

That’s not really implemented. If NPCs are supposed to be able to guard you while sleeping, they need the wit to wake you up when they can’t handle the enemies by themselves.