Getting NPC's to wear/replace clothes?

Ok, so I’ve been trying to assemple a team of NPC’s. I’ve managed to get them to switch weapons by the combat commands (don’t use grenades, don’t use guns, use only silent weapons, only attack what I attack first) and using the trade menu to give them something like a Knife spear, or steel spear. at the next sign of combat trouble they will switch to the best weapon they’re carring. I also noticed if you give them/they pickup bandages or firstaid kits, they will use them when wounded. They will also loot some gear from the ground, and guessing here, as long as they have inventory space. If they no longer loot anything, you can trade with them to free up some inventory space and they will proceed to start looting more gear untill they have no more inventory room.

What I have not figured out is how to get them to sleep ( so they can heal) or how to get them to re-evaluate clothing options. They don’t seem to re-evaluate what they’re wearing vs. what they’re carrying and wear what is an upgrade. at least if there’s a way to trigger the NPC to wear different clothes, I couldn’t figure it out. I tried giveing them clothers and they don’t put it on.

I even have an NPC who got soo beat up he was at red “:” health (in V screen) and had most of his clothes destroyed, all he has left is a torn fur hat, some sneakers and a ripped backpack. No torso or pants at all left. When he arrived at the shelter I can even get him to pick up clothes and even give him some clothes, and nope he never puts any of it on. At one point I thought they wouldn’t wear anything even if it was better cause the clothing slot/layer is occupied, bet even my naked guy with only hat/backpack/sneakers won’t wear anything either.

Is there maybe a console command to make/force them wear something? Even a dialogue command once the NPC joins you would be helpful. i) “let me help you with your equipment choices” something like that.

Also what other things can I get them to do if they have the right equipment? (will they repair armor if they have soldering iron/sewing kit?)

As far as I know, no. NPCs seem to be absolutely and totally temporary. In fact, the only effective method I’ve found to keep them alive is to ditch them in some open field and don’t come back until you need them again…

Seems pretty metagamey, but hey, it’s WIP.

[quote=“Closet Pankin, post:2, topic:8777”]As far as I know, no. NPCs seem to be absolutely and totally temporary. In fact, the only effective method I’ve found to keep them alive is to ditch them in some open field and don’t come back until you need them again…

Seems pretty metagamey, but hey, it’s WIP.[/quote]

Hey Closet Pankin, I know NPC’s are a work in progress, are they actively being worked on? Is there a doc that would list of what is in and what still needs to be worked on? I have so any ideas about what I’d like to be able to do with the NPC’s, I’d like to run my ideas by whoever is working on the NPC code. If no one is actively working on them I guess I could take a look at the code myself,… It’s just that I haven’t done any coding in YEARS, so I’d be very rusty. But given enough time I bet I could figure it out and add more functionality to the NPC’s.

Btw, What programming language does C:DDA use?

[quote=“FrAvatar, post:3, topic:8777”][quote=“Closet Pankin, post:2, topic:8777”]As far as I know, no. NPCs seem to be absolutely and totally temporary. In fact, the only effective method I’ve found to keep them alive is to ditch them in some open field and don’t come back until you need them again…

Hey Closet Pankin, I know NPC’s are a work in progress, are they actively being worked on? Is there a doc that would list of what is in and what still needs to be worked on? I have so any ideas about what I’d like to be able to do with the NPC’s, I’d like to run my ideas by whoever is working on the NPC code. If no one is actively working on them I guess I could take a look at the code myself,… It’s just that I haven’t done any coding in YEARS, so I’d be very rusty. But given enough time I bet I could figure it out and add more functionality to the NPC’s.

Btw, What programming language does C:DDA use?[/quote]

I’m not a dev, but the game is totally open source. As long as you get any updates you make peer-reviewed, then they can get added to the game. I’d say give it a shot!

[quote=“Closet Pankin, post:4, topic:8777”][quote=“FrAvatar, post:3, topic:8777”][quote=“Closet Pankin, post:2, topic:8777”]As far as I know, no. NPCs seem to be absolutely and totally temporary. In fact, the only effective method I’ve found to keep them alive is to ditch them in some open field and don’t come back until you need them again…

Btw, What programming language does C:DDA use?[/quote]

I’m not a dev, but the game is totally open source. As long as you get any updates you make peer-reviewed, then they can get added to the game. I’d say give it a shot![/quote]

Well I didn’t want to give it a go if there is already someone working on it. I don’t want to step on any toes. It would probably be counter productive for me to try a go at the NPC’s if someone is indeed already working on them. It’s also been about 20 years since I’ve programmed anything. So I’d definitely need to take a lot of time just to get up to speed with the existing code, then eventually to see if there is anything that I can do to improve the NPC’s.

Make a thread about it on drawing board. If anyone is doing anything similar, they should reply in at most a few (3 or so) days.

Last big NPC update was quite a bit of time ago, so I wouldn’t expect any collisions.

If this gets added I might actually get NPC followers, so I can dress them in clown costumes and bondage suits.