Now out on Steam!

I haven’t seen any examples until now.

Mindustry does it, and a few other open source game and apprently there’s no issues

drive away some people from contributing in the future

If someone disagree with the licence allowing commercial distribution they should not contribute. Contributing to the project means you’re agreeing to the licence and giving your work to be freely available for anyone, if one diseagrees with that they absolutly should not contribute to this project. If the steam release makes some people realise that they misunderstood the licence it’s fine, it’s a bit sad that they didn’t understand what they were doing in the first place, but better late than never.

3 Likes

If someone disagree with the licence allowing commercial distribution they should not contribute. Contributing to the project means you’re agreeing to the licence and giving your work to be freely available for anyone

I agree with you. The problem is emotional for me, and from what I’ve read there are others who feel the same way. A Steam release could actually be useful for attracting future contributors, I hope it goes well!

1 Like

Now the only thing that I fear is the salty Reddit users :smiley:

1 Like

Achievements will be available upon the release on Friday.

7 Likes

I have been playing this game since Brin, nearly a decade! Most definitely I have gotten more value out of C:DDA than any AAA games I’ve paid up to $100 for. Better believe I will drop that 20 bux without a second thought

3 Likes

I also have an idea: Add some “basic, well-rounded” character templates for absolute beginners to get into the game quickly

I think the lack of experimental is the biggest offputting thing to me, is that even a possibility down the road? I don’t think I’ve EVER played stable.

It’s a possibility, but not the daily rolling experimental. Version control gets to be a huge hassle very quickly, and overwhelms steam’s biggest potential advantage - workshop. I’m not sure if Korg might consider specific experimental snapshots later: i suggested for example that he might pick a snapshot of experimental during each major freeze (project freeze, feature freeze, content freeze, string freeze) so that steam users can help bugtest for stable at those points. That will be entirely up to him though and I don’t think even Korg knows yet how realistic that will be.

1 Like

Yeah that’s reasonable, I figured it has to have been talked out amongst yourselves at some point.

Maybe we can have some sort of Rolling Release type (new experimental changes, which don’t severely affect player’s experiences, are backported consistently)

I’m still wondering about this: If we add ‘Meta Progression’ to every single scenarios in game, but Evacuee, if I’m a Steam Player, will I suddenly be unable to play my favorite scenarios?

There’s an override for it.