Non-simplified Nutrition Messages

Do we get them?

I have almost constant low health, which is very odd, as I historically have usually done very well with my health. I am wondering if I am eating too much of a single vitamin or mineral, but I don’t have any status effects. I am downing two multivitamins a day… but I might be overdoing it, but I don’t know for sure.

If I overdose on, say, calcium (or underdose, for that matter), do I get a status effect telling me what I should, or should not, eat?

If you don’t eat enough food that contains a certain vitamin, you’ll receive a log message saying you’ve started getting affected by your bad eating routine. For example, if you don’t eat enough meat or food that contains calcium, you’ll get Hypocalcemia, which will be shown as a status effect under your general status tab in the (@)ttibute menu. If you continue undereating the deficiency will get progressively worse, “upgrading” into Weak Bones and later into Frail Bones, all which worsen your natural healing rate or halt it completely.

Other vitamin deficiencies, like B12 Deficiency or Scurvy, have similar effects. Waking up after a night’s sleep helps you understand what your health’s like - if you have a hard time waking up (“You wake up but all you want to do is go back to bed”) the message log will let you know about your health level getting low so you can act accordingly. Alternatively, if you manage to eat healthy and have a balanced diet you’ll get positive log messages (like “Waking up is surprisingly easy today”) meaning everything with your health is fine so far.

I don’t know if there’s an ‘overeating’ variant for each deficiency. I mean, Hypercalcemia is a thing, but I don’t know if it’s in the game. You might only get debuffed for not having enough of one vitamin in your diet but not penalized for having too much of it. Never got to find out as so far I’ve only been screwed over by eating too much junk food and not enough healthy food. It’s possible to have multiple vitamin deficiencies simultaneously.

Thanks.

I am getting the generic ‘low-health’ warnings, but since my diet has been almost entirely meat, offal, and cooked wild vegetables, I was concerned I was gaining some major nutritional imbalance. I still don’t know why my health is so low, but I will just grin and bear it for now…

Check your (@)ttribute display. If there are no negative status effects affecting your health there’s probably no need to worry about it. If a deficiency does show up you’ll be able to see what vitamin you need to have more of in your diet exactly. You can see which vitamins a comestible contains by checking its item description.

Well you can get the message saying your metabolism becomes unstable if you have to many vitamins… i had this happen to me last night and i was only taking them when i woke up each day