No bullets, driving, sleeping and waiting animations on Windows

I’ve just noticed on Linux driving looks much better, there is actually animation tile by tile, while on Windows it kind of freezes a little bit and then jumps to final location. In the same manner bullet animation is missing too, and also there is no “fast forward” in time when sleeping and waiting, but just a freeze until it’s time to wake up. Is it just me, something wrong with my Windows?

hm, it’s always been like this (with freezes) for me on Win, never knew it’s different on *nix

Then you have to try it on Linux, it’s way better, especially for driving. On Windows when you drive faster it seem like it takes more real time to travel some destination than if you go slower and that’s annoying, plus it looks terrible. But on Linux even if it also takes more real time between the turns with faster speed you actually get to see the whole animation how your car gets there, step by step, so it’s better, much better. Bullet animation is a bit too fast, but it’s nice enough compared to not having it at all, so although not terribly important these animations are sufficient for me to not play it on Windows any more. First I’ll try to fix it though. I also recommend using square fonts like 8x8 and 16x16 rather than default 8x16 as that looks terribly distorted, especially for driving.

i will definitely try it, but i’m usually too lazy to load another OS just to play one game :slight_smile: i have Ubuntu installed, two actually - one as standalone OS and one under VirtualBox, but… nah :slight_smile:

Soo laaazyy… like a cat. Well, I fixed it, and compiled it with few more changes and one more bug fix I mentioned in another thread on this forum (flashlight). There is also save file called “try out”, it’s at night and a car is spawned right next to you so to best see all the changes at once.

Enjoy visual wonders of animated ASCII art and actual scrolling instead of freezes and jumps. Besides there is a bug on Linux, keyboard buffer is not cleared properly and if you hold down a key for a while and release, computer will continue to play by itself for quite some time after as if the key was still pressed. So, with animations working properly I’m back on Windows.

Download Windows binary:

CHANGES:

• instead of grey “#” character darkness is completely black
  • vehicle headlights have increased range

BUG FIXES:

• flashlight to draw “gradual fade off” properly all around instead if only on one side
  • driving and bullets animation, sleeping and waiting animated “fast forward”, as seen on Linux

NEW FEATURE:

• automatic “distance view” when driving, shifts view forward in front of the vehicle (depending on current speed and bearing), so you can see more road in the direction the car is facing

Is this a branch of the main DDA release, or is this going to be incorporated into the next windows mainline release? I saw a video which showed off some of the ‘animations’ of driving in linux, and they looked quite nice, seemed a little more clear about what was happening as you were driving rather than just skipping forward a handful of steps.

Being able to see what’s going on when the game is normally locked up is rather cool, but I’m noticing that there’s some issues with the status pane updating on the right side. Might have to do with me having a larger-than-default viewport?

Basically, looks like everything on the status pane is being overwritten without clearing out the old data. That’s including the old directional contact markers.

Also, the blinking ASCII is gone from quest markers and such.

Might not be related to this change, but rather something to do with other files being worked on.

[quote=“geldonyetich, post:7, topic:372”]Basically, looks like everything on the status pane is being overwritten without clearing out the old data. That’s including the old directional contact markers.

Also, the blinking ASCII is gone from quest markers and such.

Might not be related to this change, but rather something to do with other files being worked on.[/quote]

Thanks. I think I fixed all that since, except blinking ASCII.

This version has rounded lights. I also have another update ready for later today, added music and sound effects.

Great work! A few minor things:

[ul][li]Good thing I backed up my save game. Something about the way the file loaded caused my character to immediately die! it seems the darkness was red @ for some reason, but this went away with a new character.[/li]
[li]It seems that all characters are no longer aware of their exact hitpoint counts; the “HP Ignorant” negative perk is no longer optional. It’s more realistic, I’ll give it that, but some people might prefer it remains an optional negative perk.[/li]
[li]I see the character screen has been redone, with skills showing up in full on the bottom left. It doesn’t look bad, but it’s a little garish with all the previous text data behind it.[/li]
[li]When viewing the large map, it fills the whole screen (which it is supposed to do), but this means that leftover large map data appears below the status bar and to the right of the viewport when the viewport has been set to larger than a greater size. That ASCII is not being cleaned out anymore.[/li][/ul]

Aside from that, things seem to work fine. All the fixes are definitely an improvement. I’ll be my favorite Cataclysm revision once my current character meets his fate.

That sounds pretty cool, but be sure to make it an option because I know a lot of people like to have their own music playing or may prefer to imagine their own sound effects.