The way vehicles move visually

Currently, in the stable build, you get your car moving and each time you hit the wait button, a button to alter the vehicles heading, or do some action that is not related to driving, you can see every frame of the vehicles movement during the “turn.” in the experimental builds, the vehicle simply jumps to where it should be at the end of the “turn.” the “jump” is a bit jarring and takes away from the sense of how fast you are going, or how hard your hitting something. as car movement is in the experimental, the feel of ramming anything just isnt there. “woops, my car is damaged.” instead of “oh god! im going to crash!” I would like to see the return of the smooth moving of vehicles. if this is something that was temporarily removed for the experimental or maybe something that other people aren’t experiencing, than feel free to ignore this.

edit:
I hope ive described what I mean adequately enough. in my head it seems a bit difficult to put into words what I mean…

AFAIK, driving was always like this.

Sounds like vehicle animation got broken. I assume you’re on windows, because it works on all linux builds.
Are you using the tiles or terminal build?
Also, check your animation speed setting, that might mess it up.

I use the tiles. I can change animation speed? Ill take a look around then.

edit:
ok I downloaded the terminal version and it has the movement I want. so its a problem im having with tiles version then? also, I guess this thread doesn’t belong in the drawing board does it? :confused:

ok, so animation is broken on win/tiles. how about other animations, do you get the scrolling combat text in tiles? how about hitboxes that flash around things when they’re hit? projectiles?

Wait, there’s a bullet animation? (question and answer all in one, I guess).

all that stuff doesn’t seem to work in tiles version. I also tested with smaller window (I usually play with a window sized at 150x48 and use thutzor) and different tile sets. while framerate definitely improves with different tile sets and sizes, the animations just don’t work.

would my computer specs give any pertinent information on the issue?

btw, just want to say, the hitboxes and scrolling text are really nice.

That’s seems to me like there’s something badly impacting performance. I noticed delays in time passing when reading books etc. May be related to vehicles being so annoyingly jumpy. Ver: 3f76ea9, Win SDL, tiles disabled.

Confirming that I have not been noticing animations on windows tiles build with any of the recent experimentals besides rain.

Got some info on this.
I play on multiple computers. Same version, same config (just copy-pasted between).

Two of them are powerful i7’s, and one - old and rusty always overheating AMD-based two core laptop. OS’es are: 2008r2 (i7-home), w7ent x64 (i7-work), and w7ent x64 on the laptop.

Most noticeable issues i see on my home i7. Slow turns, screwed animation, intimidating vehicle movement… It’s got the fastest CPU (3.7GHz!), most RAM, and most powerful GPU of all. But… power mgmt enabled (C-states, TurboBoost, all that shit to save ppl from aircraft turbine like sound a rig can produce), that probably can be blamed for at least some performance impact.

Work’s one exhibits some issues, but much less than above. Well, that’s not surprising for such heavily loaded with VM and java-bullshit-mgmt-applets system, which get’s rebooted maybe twice per year, when java eats all the ram not already eaten by firefox.

But laptop is doing just great! Except for getting hot as hell. No slowness at all. With it’s stone age ATI GPU, 2gb of ram (lol) and Flintstones-tech compatible hard drive.

So question is - WTF causing so crazy behavior? SDL magic? GPU acceleration (i read somewhere cata (or SDL) is using that? Just wtf…

Edit: typos

Could be gfx support being screwey on sdl builds, but not on the terminal build, more likely there’s an issue with the animation loop code on windows, that would affect both builds.

Yes, there is clear difference in performance between terminal and SDL build. Terminal performs clearly much better on the machine i got most horrible performance with SDL builds.

[quote=“qurvax, post:10, topic:6833”]Got some info on this.
I play on multiple computers. Same version, same config (just copy-pasted between).

Two of them are powerful i7’s, and one - old and rusty always overheating AMD-based two core laptop. OS’es are: 2008r2 (i7-home), w7ent x64 (i7-work), and w7ent x64 on the laptop.

Most noticeable issues i see on my home i7. Slow turns, screwed animation, intimidating vehicle movement… It’s got the fastest CPU (3.7GHz!), most RAM, and most powerful GPU of all. But… power mgmt enabled (C-states, TurboBoost, all that shit to save ppl from aircraft turbine like sound a rig can produce), that probably can be blamed for at least some performance impact.

Work’s one exhibits some issues, but much less than above. Well, that’s not surprising for such heavily loaded with VM and java-bullshit-mgmt-applets system, which get’s rebooted maybe twice per year, when java eats all the ram not already eaten by firefox.

But laptop is doing just great! Except for getting hot as hell. No slowness at all. With it’s stone age ATI GPU, 2gb of ram (lol) and Flintstones-tech compatible hard drive.

So question is - WTF causing so crazy behavior? SDL magic? GPU acceleration (i read somewhere cata (or SDL) is using that? Just wtf…

Edit: typos[/quote]

Maybe it has something to do with the number of “cores” (I dont know what they are, but having lots of them is supposed to be good?) Id read that having more than 2 cores in your PC can mess with lots of low tech or old games. or even some newer games. couldn’t get fallout 3 to run at all until I tricked it into thinking it was running on a PC with only two cores with a mod/patch. I dont even know if this is relevant, but it may be a possibility considering how many PCs have quad-cores now.

Cores are actual CPU’s, but maybe bundled into one package (or two - in case of 2 socket motherboard, for example). Some software can be written in such way, that can do some work in parallel using two (or more) “threads” on different cores. AFAIK CDDA is not one of them, and will not benefit of having more CPU’s. I can run this on 20-core server, if someone wants to test that :smiley:

The main game runs in a single thread, which means there will be no difference on single versus multiple cores.
The SDL build will launch some threads through the SDL library, one for audio and possibly one for talking to the video card, but I expect SDL to be well-written enough that it won’t have issues.