Newbie Questions (weapons)

Alright so I’m actually doing pretty well, but I just want to clarify some things.

Crowbar, bash 16 cut 3, +2 bonus, 99 moves per attack, prys open stuff.

Telescoping baton, smaller overall weight and volume, 12 bash, 0 cut, +2 bonus and 77 moves.

So, the baton attacks faster? also, how do some cutting weapons get stuck in and pulled out? is yanking it free determined on strength, or?

As near as I can tell, not having examined the code, every “turn” you get a number of action points. I think the default is 100, modified by things like the quick trait that is part of everyone’s build, or by effects like pain or stimulants. The attack speed is the number of those points that it takes up to attack. I am REASONABLY sure that leftover action points spill over to the next turn, so if you have a faster weapon, you will more frequently get a second attack on an enemy before they can do anything.

Related to this, moving over slow terrain like counters or broken windows takes more action points than a standard move. You can see this when a zombie stalls for a few turns and gives you some free hits. This is because they only get about 80-100 points per turn, and they just spent 300 of them climbing after you. (Those numbers are wild ass guesses)

Since this thread exists might as well ask this.
So i found like 3 CMB: fusion blaster arms.
But in the description of it it says i will no longer be able to use 2h weapons. My character is a ninja and he uses a katana. The description for it doesn’t say whether it is 2h. Is it? I don’t really know the power sucking power of the arms but if its low and the dmg output is fair ill try to install it.

Ah, and one more question actually-- Freaking sandworms. Any advice? Are they attracted to sounds, so the good old radio trick will work?

Yes. In fact if you stop moving and throw anything, they’ll go to the source of the sound. If you can consistently lure them away, then you can slowly make your way to solid ground (or use a radio, in which case you may be able to escape without problems.)

Damn, I need more radios. I built a shelter in the outskirts of a town-- next day, Dirt mounds-- dirt mounds everywhere. Luckily there’s plenty of roads, but that means no breaking in through the back windows :X

I had a question, I have this broadsword which does 8 bash and 35 cut damage. Is that damage combined? Or how do these values interact?

I think that’s dependent on how your character strikes with the weapon. If he slaps the enemy with the blunt end, then only the blunt damage bonus will be applied. If he slices with the edge, then only the cut damage will be applied. I only assume this based on the attack description and how your experience points are distributed based on that.

It does get a little annoying, though, when you’re trying to level up one of those three skills and your character does something stupid like bash with a steel spear.

I’m curious about stuck-ins as well. I have 10 strength, 2 melee skill and 4 cutting weapon skill. How can I reduce the chance of stuck-ins, because at the moment I’m wondering whether specializing in cutting weapons is a viable strategy at all.

piercing weapons can get stuck in too, but I think they have a higher chance of crits or something-- and most spears can block slightly.

Strength is the number one factor, as well as the cutting resistance of the enemy. It’s much easier to get your weapon stuck in an enemy made of metal or a skeleton than it is to get it stuck in something like a boomer. I’m not sure if the weapon’s skill factors into that, but I would venture to say no, since in my current file, my weapons skills are in the double digits, yet the katana still gets caught in stuff.

I would suggest focusing on bashing weapons at first. Hammers, wrenches, pipes, crowbars, maces and morningstars are all very good choices, and they’re common enough it shouldn’t be hard to find at least one of them. Even a rock or heavy stick will do in a pinch.

You can select what skills are allowed to level up by pressing the spacebar when selecting them in the @-menu.

Strength is the number one factor, as well as the cutting resistance of the enemy. It’s much easier to get your weapon stuck in an enemy made of metal or a skeleton than it is to get it stuck in something like a boomer. I’m not sure if the weapon’s skill factors into that, but I would venture to say no, since in my current file, my weapons skills are in the double digits, yet the katana still gets caught in stuff.

I would suggest focusing on bashing weapons at first. Hammers, wrenches, pipes, crowbars, maces and morningstars are all very good choices, and they’re common enough it shouldn’t be hard to find at least one of them. Even a rock or heavy stick will do in a pinch.[/quote]

So… are blunt weapons always the better choice, or do cutting weapons get better at some point?

to be honest, the amount of zombie brains I’ve bashed in with my trusty crowbar is second to none.
First time I use a katana, gets stuck in a normal zombie and pulled out of my grip.

So I’d start with bashing weapons-- then when I’ve got some spare exp and kiting only a few zeds I’d change to a cutting weapon and try levelling that up. Something witha to-hit bonus, as well until melee skill is up.

hey, i’ve been lurking here since the start of my addiction and just wanted to say THANK YOU for this.

yeah, it is a pretty nice tip-- thanks man.

Also for some reason my piercing skill can’t be trained. It’s stuck at 0 - 20% even though I’ve been stabbing stuff with spears with about 200~ exp-- and my exp drops too. Maybe it’s all going into the melee skill instead? but even then with bashing weapons you get exp in both melee and bashing, same with firearms…

Edit: Also how important would a silencer be on a .22 rifle? Because so far my Marlin doesn’t seem to make much noise at all anyway. Already taken down a good few brutes and necros with it and I’ve still got about 100 shots left. Also how to make .22 ammunition? usually with anything else I go around picking up casings, so do I just have to hope there are some .22 cases in a gunstore or?

(yeah, without a silencer it might draw some zeds but usually those would already be drawn anyway by something like zeds smashing stuff.)

Also this character is doing pretty well, it’s day three already. I burned down a spider nest and used it to cook the crunchy critters that seem to suicidally attack me, but the uncooked meat is piling up again so I best go find some more spiders.
Found some binocs and woah-- this city is much larger than it first appeared, doesn’t look like I’m going to be able to find a vehicle anytime soon.