New Player Here!

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:20, topic:6952”]Nope. You need a one tile window for it to work flawlessly, or any window in general when facing a huge battalion of zombies.[/quote]Don’t you also need a good enough weapon/enough skill to kill them in the 3-4 free turns it takes them to move through?

A one tile window is a crazy force multiplier, and it’s POSSIBLE to fend off a local horde of zombies from one without skills, but i’d recommend having at least a half decent melee weapon such as a makeshift crowbar first. Also, zombie dogs will wreck your shit if you try to fight them without weapon skills, window or no, but that might not be a problem with classic zombies turned on.

A one tile window is a crazy force multiplier, and it’s POSSIBLE to fend off a local horde of zombies from one without skills, but i’d recommend having at least a half decent melee weapon such as a makeshift crowbar first. Also, zombie dogs will wreck your shit if you try to fight them without weapon skills, window or no, but that might not be a problem with classic zombies turned on.[/quote]

There are still zombie dogs, a Z-9 is a zombie dig with kevlar plating.

It’s a police dog.

Ah, never played with classic zombies, so not sure what does and does not appear.

A quick question: I read somewhere that you could close the blinds to windows.

I’ve just pretty much cleared one house and managed to find a leather backpack and a messenger bag inside of a bedroom. While also finding a toolbelt off of a lone zombie that I ran into as I neared the house. Luckily I found a crowbar, vitamins, cough syrup, a pot, and the fridge was stocked. Along with that I emptied a jug of vinigar and filled it with water from the toilet (first source of water I ran across…).

Any help? I don’t want to be spotted by the numerous zombies I glimpsed on the other side of the house.

You can close the windows by ©losing them. Durr

Just attempt to close them again when they’re closed. If they HAVE curtains (houses generally do, shop windows generally don’t.) it’ll close them.

I’d recommend hanging on to any future vinegar you find. You can use it to make batteries. You can also use acid, but that’s hard to come by in the early game with the recent weather changes.

Reading comprehension, FN. Reading comprehension.

? What do you mean? I’m sure Nik can read that.

I’ts Nikht, mate, my real name isn’t even close to Nik.

Nah I just like shortening peoples names on here. Such as SoluSphere will always be Sol when I’m feeling lazy. Or John Candlebury as John. Or Vanigo as Van. Or KA101 as Ka. Geez.

I just meant that he was asking how to close curtains, not windows.

By the way Nikht, minor tips on the stuff you just picked up:

Cough Syrup is almost entirely useless for preventing coughs, but it makes an excellent non-addictive sleeping aid.
In case you didn’t know, Crowbars can be activated with A to pry stuff open, such as doors, manhole covers and crates.
Vitamins, when taken regularly, reduce the risk of you getting the extraordinarily annoying flu or common cold. I’d recommend making it a routine to take one whenever you sleep, or at some other convenient interval.

…Curtains are on windows.

Close a window on a house window. The curtains will be drawn.

If you install curtains on a car window/door, you can close them but you have to open the car door curtains with (o)pen.

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:32, topic:6952”]…Curtains are on windows.

If you install curtains on a car window/door, you can close them but you have to open the car door curtains with (o)pen.[/quote]

There you go. That’s a better answer :slight_smile:

Oh, I wasn’t trying to be rude and I apologize if I came off that way. It’s just that there have been so many times where someone has called me Nick because of my username. Which isn’t even close to my real name.

[quote=“Solusphere, post:33, topic:6952”][quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:32, topic:6952”]…Curtains are on windows.

If you install curtains on a car window/door, you can close them but you have to open the car door curtains with (o)pen.[/quote]

There you go. That’s a better answer :)[/quote]

Well it’s not like curtains are closed anywhere else, unless you start with closed curtains on shelter. If you were to examine a window, it would say it’s a window. There’s was absolutely no way of gaining the knowledge of closing curtains on windows unless you actually closed them before the starting shelter started with them closed.

Oh, I wasn’t trying to be rude and I apologize if I came off that way. It’s just that there have been so many times where someone has called me Nick because of my username. Which isn’t even close to my real name.[/quote]

I’m sure they were shortening it :stuck_out_tongue:

Welp my character died. Night fell and I went to scout out the building next the second one I explored. Instead of prying open the window, the crowbar broke it.

All right no biggy, I’ve got I little bit of space in my inventory left for some food.

I ran to the fridge and picked up some water and packaged meat. Then I ran to the door. Only to find a child zombie already broke it down…

Well… Alright?

I move to kill it and it dodged.

Almost.
Every.
Damn.
Time.

By the time it died, I already had been completely surrounded.

I feel like I accomplished a whole lot of nothing.

Check your encumbrance with @, if you don’t know this already. Anything above 5+ is bad for hitting small things (zombie dogs/kids…). 4 is iffy.

Try to keep enc below 4.

Yeah, crowbars can’t pry open windows, only doors. To silently open a window from the outside, you need to have a hammer and screwdriver, and disassemble the window with the construction window (which takes a small amount of time.)

Creatures smaller than you, such as child zombies and zombie dogs, have an unreasonably large penalty to hit in melee, which makes them very difficult to kill when unskilled. In fact, you’re often better off picking up random nearby things and throwing them than you are trying to hit them in melee.

Try not to get disheartened. Sometimes you just get unlucky, but every run is a learning experience.

Oh, and by the way, whenever you start a new game, it’s often a good idea to explore any nearby roads away from major map points. They have a good chance of spawning interesting things, such as dead military patrols or crashed helicopters, which can be a big early boost to a game.

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:35, topic:6952”][quote=“Solusphere, post:33, topic:6952”][quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:32, topic:6952”]…Curtains are on windows.

There you go. That’s a better answer :)[/quote]

Well it’s not like curtains are closed anywhere else, unless you start with closed curtains on shelter. If you were to examine a window, it would say it’s a window. There’s was absolutely no way of gaining the knowledge of closing curtains on windows unless you actually closed them before the starting shelter started with them closed.

Oh, I wasn’t trying to be rude and I apologize if I came off that way. It’s just that there have been so many times where someone has called me Nick because of my username. Which isn’t even close to my real name.[/quote]

I’m sure they were shortening it :P[/quote]

That’s the thing. They weren’t.

I have a couple of buddies I play games with all the time, I’ve known them for almost 2 years now. But, after a few months playing with them, they started calling me Nick. Not Nik, mind you, but Nick. At first I thought they were shortening it, but as we send each other messages sometimes I caught the way he spelled it.

So I asked them what they thought my name was. They actually thought my name was Nick.

Of course this was well over a year ago and we know each other’s names now, but they’re not the only ones to think so.

[quote=“Nikht Revan, post:39, topic:6952”]That’s the thing. They weren’t.

I have a couple of buddies I play games with all the time, I’ve known them for almost 2 years now. But, after a few months playing with them, they started calling me Nick. Not Nik, mind you, but Nick. At first I thought they were shortening it, but as we send each other messages sometimes I caught the way he spelled it.

So I asked them what they thought my name was. They actually thought my name was Nick.

Of course this was well over a year ago and we know each other’s names now, but they’re not the only ones to think so.[/quote]

Eh. If you haven’t told your real name to close buddies for two years, no wonder they thought your name was Nick.

You can pry open windows with a crowbar.