New interface looks gross can i restore old one

I appreciate the work put into the updates and such, but specifically the (e)xamine/pickup menu being on the left is actually driving me nuts, after years of having it on the right side, if it’s not too much work, perhaps a way to toggle what side it appears on in the options would be very nice.

1 Like

i had the same problem i seem to become used to it though. i have a small screen so moving my eyes from right to left isnt that much effort. someone with a big screen tho think itd be horrible

I wasn’t blindsided by the interface changes. But I also look at the changelog for the last builds before downloading one.

http://gorgon.narc.ro:8080/job/Cataclysm-Matrix/changes

Great resource. If you download something without checking whats in it, don’t be surprised when you find new ‘features’. I switched back to classic right away, but that was more familiarity than anything else speaking to the decision.

1 Like

I didn’t know about that page!
I always wondered why so many versions were released so quickly.
Now I know

I do in fact play on a 1080p monitor, so I have to rapidly switch from right to left any time I want to skim over some loot quickly, it’s unfortunate, unnecessary tedium for something that worked flawlessly before.

4 Likes

The game operates on a constant deployment system. Whenever a group of changes is merged into the main branch, if the game can be compiled successfully and passes whatever automated tests exist, it will be bundled up and marked as a new experimental release automatically.

Its quite nice, but it does mean you need to put some forward effort into reviewing exactly what your going to get less you get blindsided.

I do in fact play on a 1080p monitor, so I have to rapidly switch from right to left any time I want to skim over some loot quickly

Still taking me a bit of time to adjust to this, but its not that bad really. Just different. Your Mileage May Vary, but its about adaptation. God knows it took me long enough to adapt to the new food systems.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s “that bad” but a change that makes players have to frequently shift their focus back-and-forth across the screen to accomplish simple tasks is an annoying change that serves no purpose, and probably violates a lot of guidelines on style and ui design out there.

2 Likes

Since we can swap the position of the sidebar in the options, it couldn’t be that hard to implement a toggle for what side (e)xamine shows on?

This is one of the more annoying bits for me as well. I play at 1080p on a big screen tv. Turning my view from right to left is only a slight move of my head, but it certainly adds up over playing for 4-ish hours at a time.

I am sure that at some point (e)xamine windows will be an option. The whole point of the UI fix is to add more options for how to set up your UI.

Currently Korg is working on more critical stuff. I’m sure someone else could step in and add the configuration options…

1 Like

Idle curiosity. Has the examine menu been given any option to stay on the right side like it was?