Gasmasks/crafting

hey guys first of all this is my first post on forum.i was watching the zemalfs lets play of this game and he got a gasmask but he didnt have to have filters to use it.So maybe in an update of the game we could have filters that can be miltary grade and last say 20 mins a filter or craftable ones that last 10 mins.So whats your guys thoughts on this topic.

Craftable filters don’t seem that different than just crafting another mask; non-craftable filters seem like a good way to have RNG screwage.

That’s a problem with roguelikes, and with games in general: finding a balance between realism & playability. Counting precise amounts of turns one’s had the filters on (does it matter the conditions–Toxic gas v. Thick Radioactive? Fungaloids? etc) would be a little much for me, at least.

i see what your saying. yea it would be good to have them noncraftable and i think if they did add it you would like a watch in your hud that told you how many turns you have left for the filter.then they could have a real late game craft that you could take your mask and some materials and make like a rebreather mask like the divers have?

Gasmask filters have a finite lifetime, yes…but the lifetime is not measured in minutes or seconds unless you’re in really deep shit. This is not Metro LL where you have to change military-grade filters every 5 minutes.

Having several quality tiers regarding some item classes might be something that could benefit the game…like a difference in usefullness between a homemade gasmask consisting of a ski mask and plastic bottles and military-grade “hardware”.

But I’m not sure if Cataclysm would benefit from having to change the filters on gasmasks every 50 turns, not the way the game works right now. With Item limits of 64(?)/tile and the RNG controlled Lootspawns, that would be major pain in the ass.

I don’t know a lot about gas masks, but there are certainly some really terrible situations around that would clog up a gas mask filter quickly, sounds like we’ll need the filter to have its own health value.

The item limit is 75, but practically it’s 74 if you want to be able to pick up things you already have stacks of, like medicine/drugs.

Yes there are most certainly horrible circumstances like these, I am no scientist, but im pretty sure that being in those environments might just kill you from exposure alone, gasmask wouldnt matter. Especially considering a lot of players in cataclysm run around in baggy (military or cargo) pants and trenchcoats.

Fact is there arent a lot of these; poisonous caves and smokers (correct me if i’m forgetting something where you absolutely have to have a gasmask if you want to live) are areas where gasmasks are a definite plus, but before you make the gasmask filters have a durability it might be practical to first design the game in a way that supports that.
I.E.:
-Hazardous hotspots or even gasclouds that move around
-Different tiers of equipment whereas higher tier means more effectiveness/durability (homemade, consumer-grade, industrial-grade, military-grade)
-craftable (homemade) filters
-retcon the current “lore” to match up with metro, because thats where this is coming from

Otherwise changing filters every 5 minutes while running through perfectly fine suburbs would make utterly no sense at all, instead it would be a nuisance. Modern GM filters last from 20 minutes to several hours depending on hazardous agent, composition, density, air humidity and of course GM quality.

I prefer it the way it is. I’d rather keep micromanagement down. However if masks were going to be subject to wear and tear from exposure to harmful agents, I would rather the masks themselves simply take damage until they break and need replacement.

My masks usually break over time anyway due to the fact that in most of the situations in which I’m wearing them, I’m also being hit in the face by things.

+1. Every consumable you “need” is a way that the RNG can screw up the game and discourage new players.

[quote=“halberdsturgeon, post:7, topic:1482”]However if masks were going to be subject to wear and tear from exposure to harmful agents, I would rather the masks themselves simply take damage until they break and need replacement.

My masks usually break over time anyway due to the fact that in most of the situations in which I’m wearing them, I’m also being hit in the face by things.[/quote]

However, a ripped/torn/dented/whatever gas mask might conceivably not work at all because it’s no longer airtight. I’d suggest that being able to repair them is kinda necessary before encouraging wear/tear on masks. Shade & I were talking about that the other day and he suggested that plastic items ought to be repairable with duct tape.

I agree, If you can “create” an item because of a specific skill, you kind of should be able to repair/maintain it.
Being a good enough tailor right now you can repair cotton stuff with sewing kit/bone needle and threads + rags, leather items with sewing kit/bone needle and threads + leather patches, maybe having a hot glue gun (industrial grade or a homemade[crafted] one) that for example uses plastic bottles/bags/stuff as “ammo” to repair plastic items if doing it with just duct tape or a sewing kit would be considered as too easy or too unrealistic.

Hmm actually…the more I think about it the more i Like the glue gun thing. maybe as a crude alternative you can use a soldering iron and a plastic bottle taking additional time because you have to clean the soldering iron afterwards.

Silicon has its uses, also. It’s not abused by super glue’s abrasive substance, or is it?