Nanodisassemblers

With the current problem of lag from clutter, I’ve been trying to pare down my base. I cheated in a steel recycler (pretending that I broke one down and moved it to my base), but even after burning what could be burnt I was left with thousands of items I just can’t get rid of, short of loading it into a vehicle and driving it a few cells away to dump. For example, I’ve got a whole table filled with nothing but engines from lawn mowers, circular saws, and the like. They can’t be disassembled, they can’t be burnt, they can’t be cut up, and they’re a royal pain in the ass to move anywhere.

My suggestion is containers of nanodisassemblers. To prevent a “grey goo” disaster, they’re hard-coded to self-destruct after a few seconds, so how much you could destroy would be limited to whatever happens to be in the single square you use it on – but it would reduce everything there to component materials in whatever quantity was the original weight of the item, less perhaps 20% for inefficiency and contaminants. So a 50 pound engine would get transformed into 40 pounds of scrap metal. It would also add some exciting new loot to labs. To prevent it from being (ab)used to disassemble Jabberwocks, just say that there’s a built-in failsafe to prevent it from disassembling organic matter. (Though robots are enother story. I like the idea of transforming chicken walkers into a massive heap of useful scrap. Or stripping a soldier zed naked.)

Or,you can wait just a little whle for us to get the last few bugs sorted out, and there should be no performance hit from having extraneous items around.

No criticism intended. Quite aside as a solution for lag, I think it’s a cool idea.

I thought about making a vehicle recycler/trash compactor that would work like the steel recycler, but with an additional ability to simply destroy all its contents (regardless of material).
Would that work?

For now, you can met your pedantic needs by dropping all the trash on one pile and then repeatedly driving over it. Vehicle wheels damage stuff they move over, eventually destroying it.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:4, topic:8438”]I thought about making a vehicle recycler/trash compactor that would work like the steel recycler, but with an additional ability to simply destroy all its contents (regardless of material).
Would that work?[/quote]

Sure, but why not just make the steel recycler either craftable or movable and have it crush everything put in it? That way you don’t need to make a duplicate item with essentially the same function.

Because even if it was movable, steel recycler is a piece of furniture you couldn’t expect anyone to haul around the city nor to haul trash back to it. And if it was to be constructible, it would need to have a very low cost and time to be usable as trash remover. Otherwise it would lose to car wheels when it comes to cleaning up.

If steel compactor became mobile, it would gain only 1 new real use: making lots of steel lumps quickly and without much work. You could haul it near a smashed wreck and compress the entire pile of metal into neat lumps.

However a truly mobile version (vehicle or handheld, though the later would be downright silly) could also be used to remove trash faster than with wheels and recycle metal items where recycling is actually useful (far from abundant sources like car wrecks).

Well, a handheld trash remover is exactly what I was proposing with nanodisassemblers, with the added benefit that it encourages more exploration of labs and adds some extra loot.

Once a time I suggested something like that:

Deconstructive nanobots CBM: Yet another stupid idea.

It’s basically just an overpowered version of acetylene torch.
It works only on metal-containing things (steel, iron, superalloy, composite, heavy duty).

You touch some metal thing with your hand, a branch of nanobots sets on the surface, you give them energy and they start to work, constructing themselves out of this metal thing. After they are done - they self-destruct themselves, creating LOTS of metal you can gather. The radius is somewhat 2-3 tiles, because they run out of energy you gave them.

Can be used on: terrain with metal (metal bars, metal doors, consoles), mobs (robots), and VEHICLES (allows you to deconstruct them extremely fast, though you get nothing but scrap metal and chunk of steel)).

As far as ‘quick fixes’ go, I’ve noticed stuff in vehicle containers seem to not get as laggy

Either that or I’m not hoarding nearly as much as I think I am.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:4, topic:8438”]I thought about making a vehicle recycler/trash compactor that would work like the steel recycler, but with an additional ability to simply destroy all its contents (regardless of material).
Would that work?

For now, you can met your pedantic needs by dropping all the trash on one pile and then repeatedly driving over it. Vehicle wheels damage stuff they move over, eventually destroying it.[/quote]

For now, you can met your pedantic needs by dropping all the trash on one pile and then repeatedly driving over it. Vehicle wheels damage stuff they move over, eventually destroying it.

Oh. Awesome. Time to complete “2000 radiation” challenge.