My worst fears have been realized

Wait, what do you mean by “treat you like a baseball?” Has knockback been increased?

If so, awesomeness. I love knockback effects.

Just upgraded too. I ran into my first grim howler a day after my first spawn, and I have to say, they’re a lot worse than shriekers. And a much bigger threat on their own.

I just go a>B and let my dogs take care of the rest. Tamed dog and dog whistle FTW

[quote=“Nighthawk, post:21, topic:7515”]Wait, what do you mean by “treat you like a baseball?” Has knockback been increased?

If so, awesomeness. I love knockback effects.[/quote]

I got punched almost all the way across a street by a hulk I ran into during a night raid. That’s a pretty baseball effect to me.

Note: That character did not, sadly, survive the experience. I was too busy going WAT (and laughing) to take a screenshot.

The knockback is quite hardcore. You seriously need armor now, at least if you can’t dodge or kill the hulk before it strikes (for example by knocking it back every time it comes close).
You still can beat up hulks with bare hands by early midgame, you just have to be careful to always strike it first, crit and knock it back and not get knocked into hard stuff (walls).

Sorry for all the noobish questions, but:
How do they calculate how much damage you take from getting knocked into hard stuff? And DOGS ARE TRAINABLE NOW?

WHAT YES

I’m reading the code that handles getting slammed into stuff.
Getting slammed into monsters and walls uses the same rules. When you blast through a monster or an obstacle, your velocity gets halved. When you fail to blast through, it is zeroed. You then get damaged depending on how much your speed changed. Since that damage respects armor, you want to get stopped by multiple weak obstacles rather than one hard. Obstacle hardness is binary - if you slam through, you get the weaker effect whether it was solid rock or a paper wall you slammed through.

Then you land and get some damage for that. If you land on (swimmable) water, 0 damage. Otherwise you get roughly half the damage you’d get from being slammed into (but not through) a wall or about equal to what you’d get from getting slammed through a wall. This damage is then reduced by your parkour skill (halved if you have it) and then your dex (damage = damage * 8 / dex) with dex getting a lower cap of 4.

Exact damage is rng(velocity, velocity * 2) / 3 (or /6 when landing). Velocity only changes when you slam into stuff. Monsters you slam into get rng(vel, vel*2) damage (no /3 here). Obstacles other than monsters are bashed with force equal to current velocity. Getting slammed through walls doesn’t seem to affect the range you fly, as long as your velocity is high enough to breach all of them. Range is starting velocity/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC_97F2Zn9k#t=128

Just got knocked back by a Hulk. Through a window and a couple of superstore shelves. I LOVE THIS GAME!!! And I just figured out how to tame dogs. Can other critters be tamed? Like pigs and cattle for livestock.