Mutation Changes mod

one thing i would love for this mod. a changes wiki so i knew what i was getting thats the only thing keeping me from this mod. i have no idea what it changes and adds and thus no way to plan

2 Likes

A complete changelog for this mod would be pretty big, so Iā€™ll only tell you the most important changes. If you want a perfect changelog you will have to compare the modfiles with vanilla game files.

Most armor from mutations has been increased, most notably the roomy shell in the base game gives you armor roughly equal to that from a survivor suit while with this mod it becomes almost as good as light power armor.

Most non-humanoid post-threshold mutants (i.e. everything except medical, alpha and elf-a) gain a change to their anatomy which gives them bonus stats.

Some terrible mutations gain benefits so that it is no longer the end of the world when you get them, for example Huge gives a strength boost to compensate for its massive negatives.

Some mutation groups get a nerf. The only one I can recall currently is spider mutants losing the ability to wear ANBC suits/power armor.

Adds a new mutation group tortoise. It is most notable for mutations that make you slow and increase your durability.

No mutation changes for mouse. Mice werenā€™t a thing when this mod was made.

The OG mod by Peeved_Penguin also made mutagen easier to learn (booklearned at level 3 cooking, autolearned at level 5 cooking + 1 first aid) and craft (lowered the amount of ingredients required to make mutagen). Mutagen books were changed to train skills 3 through 5 instead of 8 through 9 to make it easier to learn how to make them.

The updated mod removed the easier mutagen recipes but left the books the way they were. So it actually became a bit harder to read your way to high level cooking for serums. There is also the bug with lab starts as mentioned by Nalkor. Both of these issues can be fixed with some JSON editing if you are up to the task.

2 Likes

ah ok thanks. that helps a bit.

For me, a post-thresh Spider losing ANBC/Power armor is painful, but thatā€™s only when taking stuff like nastier turrets, robots/drones, and the Fungoid monsters into consideration.

Hey, the original mod maker here. Itā€™s been so long that I forgot my old account information and had to make a new one. Anyway, Iā€™ve gotten back into playing CDDA after not playing it for around 4 years because of that I have now gone and done the work to update my mod to the standards set by the current experimental. I didnā€™t really find any bugs in my testing, but feel free to report any you might find as well as just general thoughts and opinions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/79ps2mj7dye68li/Mutation%20changes.zip?dl=0

Also I noticed that some effort has went into maintaining my mod by other members of the community. Good work! But, I will say that my current update doesnā€™t really incorporate any of the changes that was made by the maintainers (whatever those might be) as I worked on updating the original mod from when I stopped maintaining it from before.

4 Likes

hey Penguin, so Iā€™ve been creating a mod in order to practice coding, and I ended up using a couple traits from your mod here. I was wondering if you had a good way to reference others and/or make them combatable, even if I may not end up releasing the mod.

I know I can make the mod dependent on yours and work from there, I was just wondering if you had a way to make them combatable without a second mod, as mine is a mutation focused mod and would require a combatability mod to have both working properly.

Thank you for your original mod and for this update! :slight_smile:

THE mod is fine on its own, however collides with Medieval mod reborn. MMR is also fine on its own.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s still even getting updates, after all the post before yours happened 11 months ago, almost an entire year.

Updated this mod for 0.F. It may not be fully functional, but it loads without errors. I fixed the tortoise mutagen and serum, which were also borked in 0.E. Made a couple of changes, and also cleaned up readability of the mutations.json file. Added a changelog and version numbering.https://www.patreon.com/posts/53522832

I donā€™t use github, but anyone who does is welcome to repost this there. Feel free to make any further fixes necessary, just be sure to document your changes.

As usual, the post is accessible to anyone, you donā€™t need to be a patron or even a follower, but Iā€™d certainly appreciate a follow.

err, not quite functional yet. getting a repeating crash caused by ā€œinvalid body part ā€œhandsā€ā€

Hah - sounds like money and wisdomā€¦ Realism! :smiley:
Nice contribution, thanks and well done. Iā€™ll check it out.

Hold off until I figure out whatā€™s causing the crash. Seems to be glove-relatedā€¦

Ok, think itā€™s fixed. Link should be the same.

1 Like

Another update, for the latest experimental versions, which have some changes to syntax that broke the previous version.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/53655874

Stuff Iā€™m working on:

• Tortoise has some major downsides, and little benefit. The new container system has borked it even more. Iā€™m trying to beef it up, make it essentially slow-moving but very tanky.

• Tortoise is also way too easy to get, too many traits are just tortoise category, so Iā€™m trying to balance it out with other categories.

• Iā€™ve added 2 new mutation categories, saurian and dragonborn.

• Dragonborn is even more tanky, OP strong, intelligent, and beautiful, but very sleepy, possibly narcoleptic, + mood swings, will probably have a few more negatives to balance out the positives.

• Saurian is based on a short story I wrote (ā€œHostileā€, available on my Patreon). Fast, agile, strong, stealthy, tough (the character is ex-Special Forces, medically discharged after being wounded in action), but very addiction prone (the character in the story is an opiate addict) and nomadic (heā€™s also homeless). Probably more humanoid than Raptor (no tail, facial deformation is not extreme), but with a decidedly alien-looking physiology (distributed neural net, nutrient transport via osmosis, distributed circulatory system is mainly for thermoregulation, blood is mainly ethylene glycol), the Saurian strongly resembles a Predator, apart from its thick subcutaneous armour plates, and its frill (which I havenā€™t yet found a way to implement) that acts as a natural cloak with storage pockets as well as thermoregulation.

Hereā€™s the latest versions:
v4.0.1 (for 0.F stable): https://www.patreon.com/posts/54321436
v4.1.1 (for experimental): https://www.patreon.com/posts/54321612

1 Like

I feel like it would make a lot of sense for a downside to Dragonborn be needing to eat more food. If youā€™re making use of that extra strength and powerful muscles, seems likely youā€™d also need more calories since they will be used up so fast.

True, especially considering their size, although they conserve a lot of that energy by sleeping most of the time. If I can find a way to make it so they need a lot more food to get full, rather than getting hungry more often, thatā€™s a great idea.

Stuff currently in the works:
Some fixes (dragon serum required chimera mutagen, dragon body required chimera muzzle, a few others like that)
New mutation category: Hippopotamus: Currently not really much different from Tortoise, except for being bigger and warm-blooded, no shell but a thick armoured hide (better bash protection, less piercing, about the same cut), more adapted to water, fast-moving but low stamina. Has a powerful charging attack with the mouth, that does strong bashing and piercing damage. Will eventually have more differences.
New mutation category: Tardigrade: basically very tiny but nearly indestructible, can eat almost anything
Added dragon wings: Can be activated for a big speed increase at the cost of a big increase in torso encumbrance. Trying to add a knockdown or knockback aoe attack, but not sure if itā€™s possible.

Maybe you could look up the code for expanded digestive system cbm for the takes more food part.

I donā€™t really want to get into coding C++, as I really donā€™t have the energy for it (and also, while I have some knowledge of C++, itā€™s probably not really sufficient for that), otherwise a lot of what I want to do would be easy, relatively speaking. So the difficulty is in figuring out how much I can do with just json.

For now, Iā€™ve increased the stomach size for dragons and hippos. The increase is spread over 2 mutations, and Iā€™ll need to test to see how they stack (if itā€™s multiplicative, I think dragons will end up with a 32x (8x4) increase currently, but that might be too much). Thereā€™s probably some more I can do, but I need to work out how some attributes work.