Mutation and Zombie questions

I think we do age, it’s just a year can take a long time.

You can think you do using phantasy but i doubt that its coded in.

You don t see your age nor can you chose it. thus its irrelevant.

Yup.

One day someone will add a system for aging as a mod and someones survivor is going to be hardcore enough to die of old age

My main argument into trans humanism is that it involves you selling your own body to whatever bio-medical corporation designed your implants. It becomes even worse if you consider bio-engineering, because then parts of genome is owned by someone else and that carries the implication that your descendants will also have to pay for the original genome that you received, in a sort of similar way of what happens with the bio-engineered crops business.

And if you ask me I rather be imperfect and have the final word on what happens with my body than be the apex of humanity and be owned by Microsoft.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:25, topic:8049”]My main argument into trans humanism is that it involves you selling your own body to whatever bio-medical corporation designed your implants. It becomes even worse if you consider bio-engineering, because then parts of genome is owned by someone else and that carries the implication that your descendants will also have to pay for the original genome that you received, in a sort of similar way of what happens with the bio-engineered crops business.

And if you ask me I rather be imperfect and have the final word on what happens with my body than be the apex of humanity and be owned by Microsoft.[/quote]

I’d rather get owned by Microsoft than Ubisoft.

I don’t want them to turn me into a radio tower.

I cannot imagine that bionics have a wireless receiver interface, which is what would be necessary to “hack” any device implanted into the human body. If they do, I would probably have to question why ANYONE would have one installed (in the pre-Cataclysm world), because none of the devices require such an interface, so literally the only reason such an interface would need to exist would specifically be to enable access to the device.

Unless CBMs require software updates–in which case I question the sanity if IMPLANTING THEM INTO YOUR BODY in a permanent fashion–I do not think they would ever need to be remotely accessed, and if they WERE necessary to access presumably they could be manually accessed by a trained engineer or medical staff.

And considering that it is entirely possible to build your own CBMs, presumably this is a feature you could recognize and remove, since you, as commented before, would be an expert on the operation of the device and would know very well that such an interface is unnecessary.

All that said… I admit I entirely recognize and validate the “pure human” outlook, I completely understand it. Being controlled by your tools is a common fear amongst certain facets of society, and there are some arguments to be made that it is entirely possible that life is better–from a certain point of view–when it is simpler.

Personally I feel that humans make tools and as long as those tools are safe I will use them.

God help me if I start chugging crap that mutates me RANDOMLY though. Eff that. Last thing I need is to find out my heart just turned into a chipmunk or my skeleton has a sudden desire to get out of me or something.

Mutation - shit tier
Bionic - medium tier
Pure human - uber god father of cthullu tier

No, seriously. Out of chracter: Mutations and bionics just make it too easy for me. Fiddling around with it is fun but not for long. With the new update I will if course try everything out but my “main” chars will always be human. As my mains are always a representation of myself ingame, I never do drugs or drink alcohol and surely, will never drink/inject mutagen. Same goes for bionics. So this is kinda the in Character argument itself. I don’t mind others mutating and mechanising around me but I will laugh when the mutant can’t eat meat anymore or burns its skin as it steps into thr sunlight and laugh at the cyborg when (if this ever becomes to be a thing) one of his bionics is damaged and fries his brain.

It’s interesting how peoples’ play styles influence their views on transhumanism. And I don’t get the whole ‘mutations and cybernetics make the game too easy’ thing. Sure, they can make it easier, but I’ve lost plenty of horrifying mutant cyborgs to my own hubris.

It’s my opinion that people against human augmentation are reactionaries, scared of fire, electricity is the devil, that sort of folk, just a different generation of tech. An integrated toolset is just a screwdriver/other tool you keep in a convenient place. It makes as much sense to be against the concept of pockets or toolbelts.

I mean, are you afraid of never being able to remove your technology? I have to wear glasses or I can’t see, and I wear my watch every time I step out of my house. Those things might as well be melded with my flesh, and I’d in fact like them to be, in better forms of course. There’s always the risk of hacking, of faults, but that’s true for every tech that’s come before to one extent or another (poke my eyes out, take away my glasses, hack my retinal implants). Shouldn’t you also be against the concept of modern medicine (unnatural means of extending/enhancing life), especially pacemakers and implanted defibrillators? After all, those are the bionics we currently have, where is the line drawn? And the risk of government oversight? That’s happening anyways, and I’d rather have the benefits of a terrible cyberpunk dystopia, not just the oppression, thank you very much.

The risk of a corporation owning you would be a little concerning, if not for the fact that this technology would more likely than not extend your life, if not make it effectively endless. I’d take 100 years of indentured servitude for even 30 free years of being as augmented as my little mechaheart desires.

It’s a bit optimistic, I guess people might say, but their ‘realism’ is stagnation, which has never been a thing that’s lasted more than a generation. Progress happens.

As I already said: I am not against genetic modification/human augmentations in itself. It’s exciting and a good thing that it has the ability to help BUT
I for myself find them way too unnatural and even scary to be honest. I would avoid them as long my life wouldn’t depend on it. There are people who cough three times or feel a little headache and instantly drop pills and/or go see a doctor. I almost never do that unless it’s serious. And mutations and cbms are treated similarly (by me). I won’t dare to tell someone to not drop 10 cans of pills when he feels a little ill I just wouldn’t do so.

I see what you mean, I have a kinda similar attitude? Like, I have a friend who’s way into it, to the point where if it becomes viable, she’d have her limbs amputated and replaced. I’m… ok with her doing it, but for me? We’ll wait until my arm is crushed or something. But I’ll have my heart replaced with a mechanical one ASAP, so, weird. Didn’t mean to attack you, or anything.

Ugh, sorry if I sounded offended. I wasn’t, I just wanted to elaborate on my opinion.

Bionics are just another tool to be used, no losing your humanity involved, sure you may end up with very little squishy bits left but your mind is pretty much untouched.

Mutation on the other hand is where the whole “no longer human” stuff come in as is suggested by the threshold, before thresh your mostly still human, possibly with some extra limbs, Post-thresh you more whatever than human apart from maybe 1 or 2 categories.

[quote=“Shadowchaser, post:27, topic:8049”]I cannot imagine that bionics have a wireless receiver interface, which is what would be necessary to “hack” any device implanted into the human body. If they do, I would probably have to question why ANYONE would have one installed (in the pre-Cataclysm world), because none of the devices require such an interface, so literally the only reason such an interface would need to exist would specifically be to enable access to the device.

Unless CBMs require software updates–in which case I question the sanity if IMPLANTING THEM INTO YOUR BODY in a permanent fashion–I do not think they would ever need to be remotely accessed, and if they WERE necessary to access presumably they could be manually accessed by a trained engineer or medical staff.

And considering that it is entirely possible to build your own CBMs, presumably this is a feature you could recognize and remove, since you, as commented before, would be an expert on the operation of the device and would know very well that such an interface is unnecessary.[/quote]

Perhaps they have a wireless functionality to allow various different CBMs to connect to and communicate with each other, though I don’t know why they’d need to do this, or to the human brain, that provides a weak point in the system that, gameplay wise, can be exploited by, or against, the player? It would still be considered safe enough to use bionics since this ‘probably’ wouldn’t cause physical harm, but thats a balance issue, I imagine having a good understanding of bionics you understand that devices capable of interacting with them negatively are rare, or maybe are a new ‘black market’ kind of CBM designed for electronic warfare?
All I’d imagine it to be is a device that when activated would scramble, delay or rewrite the signals being sent between different CBMs or the signals being sent to and from the brain to them, causing them to either temporarily fail to activate, or just do some weird shit. This is a little off topic though so I think I’ll add it to the suggestion board at some point and see if it can be made into a good enough, lore friendly, idea.

I saw on GameTheory that it is already possible to hack into pacemakers. Modern pacemakerd allow to read their collected data via bluetooth or so and they have atm NO security settings or similar stuff. So a hacker could sit next to you with his notebook and stop your heart.

Pacemakers need to be implemented into the game, all survivors should be forced to have one, all copbots have the ability to hack into them and disable them, causing your survivor to instantly die without warning.
10/10 idea

I’m a bionics man myself. My playstyle involves building a huge-ass vehicle to live out of, which would be impossible without Metabolic Interchange and Integrated Toolset. I use bionics frequently. Some of my favorites besides the ones already mentioned are Dielectric Capacitance, Internal UPS, and Quantum Tunneling.

You don t need bionics at all to build a huge vehicle.
And you do not need them to survive.
They make the game easier.

This is what i’m worried, and see as a possibility in the Cata future: that not all bionic makers cared enough with security, or left one or two exploitable flaws, doesn’t need to be wi-fi, but something that the common bionic user don’t know. After all, not everybody is going to read the small text, right?

About bionic vulnerabilities, does EMP works against them? Since various kinds of bionics need a power source, i presume EMP would at least lock them down for some time. Other thing i think is a little weird, is how resistant bionics are: you get smashed, shocked, corroded, punched, punctured, slimed and the only thing so far that can crash bionics is a faulty bionic installation. .-.

And yes, Dieletric is my favorite. FEAR SHOCKER ZOMBIE NO MORE!

If you happen to get caught in the blast of an EMP grenade it drains your bionic batteries. As for the ‘hacking’ concept, it’s a neat idea, but for the most part all that’d be limited to is unexpectedly turning a bionic on or off. At worst, it’d be annoying, but for the most part it’d just be irritating. As far as damaging bionics by combat is concerned, again, neat idea, but is it possible to implement? A lot of the bionics are guesswork on their location, I suppose a “If a part becomes broken, ‘damage’ a bionic at random” would be possible but then you encounter a separate problem: Replacing a lost Cranial Flashlight isn’t too big an issue, they’re PAINFULLY common. But losing a stat-upgrade bionic, quantum tunneling, the teleporter, or other extremely rare bionics that can only be obtained via lab ends or getting REALLY lucky with a bio-operator chopping because you drew the short stick would be rage inducing.