Mosques?

Any plan to add on mosques or other religious buildings, besides Cathedrals and such?

I usually play an Imam and I would like to find a mosque and try to convert the zombies to Islam.

Churches are generic? I could see mods adding specific structures and I could also see people designing them and them beng added to the random pool of the main game.

Do you know what you’d expect to see walking into a random new england mosque? How would if differ from the generic churches we have now?

A typical Islamic Center/Mosque could be limited to just the praying area, which would not have any chairs except maybe in a corner for those who can only pray while sitting. It would have a place where the Imam leads the prayer. It would have an area with bathrooms and a separate area next to it for ablution (like a little faucet on the wall in front of a small stool). It would have like a “locker” section for people to put belongings and shoes. A book shelf in the prayer area that would have copies of the Qur’an and other Islamic texts.

I think the deal was-if you add one religious building, you have to add them all. Just like when religious items were added, they had to add most of the major faiths, hence why you see different books from most major religions.

This, in a nutshell. While the regular churches look relatively generic, they don’t quite have a layout that could be plausibly perceived as fitting any given religious building.

Plus given their very plain fixed layouts, when nearly every other type of building by now has a variant, it would add some variation to the game. o3o

Not true at all, if someone wants to provide a layout for a mosque, they should feel free.
The primary bakance for that should just be ratios, as in if there are 10x as many christian churches as mosques in new england, we should emulate that ratio. Likewise there are only a handful of e.g. scientology centers in new england.

The distinction we made with religious texts was that we didn’t pick and choose which ones had special effects.

There are five mosques in the entire state of Maine. 1:10, although a good ratio for a rare flavor of generic building, is a huge overestimate. A specific Mosque building with a realistic ratio to non-mosque churches would be rare to the point of functional nonexistence.

A mosque-shaped generic church, on the other hand…

For real?? Roughly 1% of the US population is Muslim, so that seems a tiny number of mosques for a state with well over 1M population.

Possibly my expectations are colored by living in London - there are well over 400 mosques in one city.

Doing a quick google around, it looks like ~20% of New Englander’s say they attend churches regularly, and 1.4% of the population is Muslim. So I’d have expected the mosque:church ratio to be something like 1:10 to 1:20

1:50 is likely a better number

There might also be something happening like churches tending to be small and mosques tending to be large, in which case the population / building ratio will get skewed.

Anyway, if someone wants to make a mosque layout, know that it would be accepted, but spawn at a rate between 1/10 and 1/50 compared to churches.

For real?? Roughly 1% of the US population is Muslim, so that seems a tiny number of mosques for a state with well over 1M population.

Possibly my expectations are colored by living in London - there are well over 400 mosques in one city.

Doing a quick google around, it looks like ~20% of New Englander’s say they attend churches regularly, and 1.4% of the population is Muslim. So I’d have expected the mosque:church ratio to be something like 1:10 to 1:20[/quote]

Your forgetting historical churches, even with low ‘MODERN’ attendance in the US the number of standing churches to mosques is… laughably low. I had a family of Muslim neighbors living right next door in my southern suburb but had 5 churches within walking distance (one Methodist, one Korean, one Black Baptist, one White baptist, one Presbyterian.) No idea where their mosque was, but it seemed like a bit of a drive.

London to me seems a really bizarre case as it’s basically in a state of reverse colonization (center of a former empire experiencing a cultural backwash due to internal power vacuum effect. Native cultures from all the former colonies begin to flow inward along lines of contact previously established.) New York City would be a better comparison, but almost nobody I know considers New York City representative of ‘America’.

Then again…

First, just adding some varieties at a given weight is not going to (always) give us a perfect match for the demographics. Even if we get the weight correct, you will get oddball cities that have no churches, or have like a dozen mosques or synagogues, and maybe the occasional town that has a dozen gun stores for every 1 grocery store. If we get the ratios exactly right, chances are the only way players will NOTICE that is when they go JSON-diving after encountering a dozen towns with no mosques, then a couple with 2 or more. XP

And second, if a realistically low ratio results in unusable results due to a minuscule weight…whether we stick with gameplay excuse, or make a lore excuse (like say, why are there rattlesnakes in New England), is up to our discretion.

And third, did we need to go through the same discussion for why generic churches can have Pastafarian or SubGenius books in them? >w>

There are some areas that have mosques but no churches. East Utica, NY for example, was where many Muslim refugees from Bosnia relocated to.

Other religions, too. Clearwater, FL has an insane amount of Scientology centers. The Wausau, WI school district has many more Animists than than it does Christians.

So basically, we not only have an excuse for inevitable RNG oddities, but also a way to rationalize them? I can see this being entertaining. owo

Just look up the ratio of churches to mosques in NE and use that. Youre in a ‘random’ area in NE and also NY doesnt count as NE :stuck_out_tongue:

Just to avoid any confusion, the takeaway here is that if you want to do a mapgen layout for a mosque, feel free, but be aware it will be a rare spawn.