More up to date Tsu's tileset?

I was wondering if there is a more complete and up to date version of Tsu’s tileset, and where I can find it.

…?

if im correct there only 1 tsu i think you need to wait until is updated

[quote=“yonsisac, post:3, topic:6257”]if im correct there only 1 tsu i think you need to wait until is updated[/quote]As far as I can tell the one that comes with each experimental hasn’t been updated for months. Is Tsu even working on it anymore?

i dont now sorry

Generally the github tile sets are only updated around the release time. This is to avoid making github annoyed because we are using them to distribute large binary (picture) files that aren’t very easily compressed on the github servers, thus taking up lots more space.

It was discontinued months ago I’m afraid. I posted in the other thread discussing tilesets as well, and am hoping I can get an update from people currently working on Tileset dev/gamedev about the situation as it stands.

Me and Hrose both kinda dropped off due to the mass of work that was dedicated to admin and maintenance, rather than actual work on tiles and the games aesthetic; if that has changed I could come back to this.

It would be greatly appreciated, yours is my favorite tileset, but it’s just so incomplete that I’m forced to use another. :frowning:

Yeah, the irony being that a lot of things are actually tiled, they just haven’t been assigned to the specific ID’s for the new additions: Like books, ammunition and other lootable item drops.

I’ll make a post in the lab and ask if any of the people currently working on it can give me a status update of what it’s like now, and then we’ll see.

[quote=“Tsu, post:7, topic:6257”]It was discontinued months ago I’m afraid. I posted in the other thread discussing tilesets as well, and am hoping I can get an update from people currently working on Tileset dev/gamedev about the situation as it stands.

Me and Hrose both kinda dropped off due to the mass of work that was dedicated to admin and maintenance, rather than actual work on tiles and the games aesthetic; if that has changed I could come back to this.[/quote]

Bummer! Can you link to the thread where you guys discussed this?

The other thread I mention is in this same subforum. That was a thread discussing peoples favourite tilesets.

Not sure if you meant that though; if you meant the troubles we had surrounding maintaining the tilesets, those discussions are scattered in the old threads in the Lab. - I kinda disappeared months ago in 2013, so it’s a while back.

Can you summarize? :slight_smile:

Well, developing a tileset at the time meant you more or less had to start working with the .json list someone else was using - I started with hoders and expanded that as I maintained it, and I think some current tilesets continued on with mine.

Either way, that was just to have a starting point, a loooong list which took up 2-4 lines of code for each item including separation brackets on either side. At the point where I last updated that list had 12,000 lines.

Now, the way it worked was that a item exists in the game; say a book on cooking titled “Cooking yo.” and that had to be declared to the book tile. Then another book called “Cooking You. Yes, you.” had to be declared to the book tile as well.
Basically there’s a whole lot of bloody books in this game, same deal applies to ammunition, electronics and certain food items.

Then there are of course additions, each experimental brings something new on a daily basis, and when all this is released to the stable release, there are likely a tonne of untiled things running about. And that counts for items, bushes, berries, creatures etc. etc. etc.
You had to look for these in the github repository, search up their ID, add that manually to your Json and then tile the thing. Rinse and repeat many many times.

There was basically just too much labour involved in the process. Almost nothing was automated and sometimes the ID’s for things you had tiled would change because it was more in line with the coding standards. - Which by itself is fine, but the disconnect between tileset-makers and coders working on the game meant you often only found out about that after someone reported the bug to you.

Thanks! I was curious what the challenges involved were. It sounds like your lives would be so much easier if it were possible to apply tiles to a “class” of items that doesn’t currently exist the way the game is implemented right now.

Yeah. It’s basically just a really major quality of life improvement needed.
In code speak I suppose it’s like having to write a new object every time, rather than just applying it to all instances.