More intelligent dogs, please?

i loved the way a pack of dogs followed my char across the woods, one of them biting at him from tie to time. looked so natural.

and i utterly hated the behavior of a “domesticated” dog: it got itself killed in no time at all. at night it lost my char in the darkness, unable to follow by scent or sound. it ran off to attack anything, even things obviously larger and stronger than itself, instead of just barking at it — unrealistic.

is there a way to make domesticated dogs more realistic? maybe char could make a whistle to attract his dog?

You can use a dog whistle and the dog will stop attacking whatsoever.
There’s no middle ground, sadly.

I just wish you’d be able to distract carnivores by chucking appropriate food their way. That’s what they’re after, right?

Enemies being able to interact with items would be cool.

Actually IIRC most predators will have some attitude changes if they happen to walk across meat that’s lying on the ground. The problem is that the aggression/attitude is a really rough system, so reductions of thing like 10 anger don’t really matter when most animals are either pushing around aggression levels of -100 or 100. It’s definitely a system I’d like to eventually redo.

It could be cool to have them bark, waking you up when you sleep and stuff.

Wolves definitely get agressive when they smell meat, much to my dismay.

As far as animal behaviour goes, I mostly notice cougars take potshots at me the moment I’m overencumbered. Problem being I don’t want to drop things because I’m looting it home, and if I drop stuff to engage the cougar, it immediately loses interest in me and hops around too much to chase after!

Dogs I just… do not befriend. They’re safer as meat, with the game where it is currently. Future interactivity with such critters seems more likely to come as priorities shift from bigger tasks.

by the way yes, this was something i forgot to mention. in short: domesticated dogs could be good for something, eh? =) morale, preventing sudden attacks at night etc? currently they are a nuisance (hope i spelled that right, hehe).

by the way yes, this was something i forgot to mention. in short: domesticated dogs could be good for something, eh? =) morale, preventing sudden attacks at night etc? currently they are a nuisance (hope i spelled that right, hehe).[/quote]

Known and intended, but dev time is limited. Sorry.

by the way yes, this was something i forgot to mention. in short: domesticated dogs could be good for something, eh? =) morale, preventing sudden attacks at night etc? currently they are a nuisance (hope i spelled that right, hehe).[/quote]

Known and intended, but dev time is limited. Sorry.[/quote]
it’s ok we all know we’re not in a supermarket, but sometimes one jut can’t keep back a suggestion :wink: