Monster nightvision

With a simple json change, monsters can be given nightvision now. If desired, they can be made to see further in the night than in the day.

Currently no monster have any nightvision. This is mostly due to balance concerns (I wanted to give it to shriekers because it just fits a lot).

What other monsters should have nightvision? How far? Which monsters could see better in the night than in the day?

For comparison, player daylight vision is 60 tiles and full nightvision is 12 tiles.

Decayed pouncers and decayed howlers should have nightvision (as their living counterparts have), and zombear should see better in the night than in the day (because bear).

Robots.

Don’t get me wrong. I love shooting tankbots inside labs to death from two squares away without resistance, but it’s kinda silly.

Robots & Turrets

Giant spiders and insects should, since they see more than the visible spectrum.

Not so sure about the turrets. It would work just fine in the open, but could be deadly in labs. Even though most turrets betray themselves by shining on the walls, some rooms have them a bit further inside.

I think that at least every military grade robot/turret should have night vision, they are made for military purposes so such a big drawback as no vision at night would be simply illogical as any enemy could sneak up on them and emp them without bigger problems.

Turrets in labs should have nightvision only after lab mapgen is reworked. As it is now they would be deathtraps and this is bad for balance.

Turrets in labs should have nightvision only after lab mapgen is reworked. As it is now they would be deathtraps and this is bad for balance.

Labs should be deathtraps for unprepared characters.

On opening a door, if you have a moderately powerfull ranged weapon, you can one-shot them before they even have the chance to shoot once. Even if they manage to shoot for whatever reasson, I play the game with frail characters and with some standard armor (Kevlar & reinforced pants… Nothing fancy like survivor armor or heavier) a full barrage of a 9mm turret can’t kill me before I shoot back.

ATM… Cheesing out everything by going nighttime it’s a much more disruptive balance factor, imho.

If you open a door and there’s a turret there you always have enough time to shut the door before it shoots, which should give you enough time to do whatever you need to do to kill it (like pulling the pin on an EMP grenade for example).

I agree about bots and milspec turrets getting NV, just not the SMG turrets because m-muh lab starts.
Though bots should also get luminance 1 to compensate (no getting nuked from the darkness).

Semi-offtopic: has anyone tried playing with Zombie NV and Fast Zombies mods? Makes nights SPOOKY.

If you open a door and there's a turret there you always have enough time to shut the door before it shoots, which should give you enough time to do whatever you need to do to kill it (like pulling the pin on an EMP grenade for example).

Something about that might have been fixed recently, but for m current game, that’s… simply not true.

If you are unlucky, the turret will shoot you instantly or while trying to close the door.

Door actions take time, yeah. It’s possible to get unlucky but that should be pretty rare at this point.

Nuking folks from the darkness is pretty much the ideal for a milbot: they’re not designed to invite return fire. The current setup is deliberately unrealistic for playability purposes, but Coolthuhlu felt the need to mess with it. Making all the bots have sufficient amounts of glowing lights to grant luminance 1 (and thereby give away their exact position) strikes me as the Unrealistic Valley: uses a realistic NV system to prevent lighting up the area and giving away its position…but then uses an unrealistic light system to still give away its position yet not provide any area-denial.

Something about that might have been fixed recently, but for m current game, that's... simply not true.

On a Lab it’s extremely easy to accumulate some levels of Pain… Which reduce your total action points (Also having a character with the Quick trait helps here).

Lab turrets don’t need NV, since obviously, the lights were never meant to go off inside a lab.

I mean seriously, would YOU turn off the lights in a lab filled with hulks and migos?

Exactly.

[quote=“Muaddib, post:15, topic:8608”]Lab turrets don’t need NV, since obviously, the lights were never meant to go off inside a lab.

I mean seriously, would YOU turn off the lights in a lab filled with hulks and migos?

Exactly.[/quote]
Also don’t forget all those fun chemicals and dissectors.

I think the lab turrets are fine as they are now, only the military hardware bothers me.

(Looks up design document part about labs)
“Labs are due for a mapgen rework, but didn’t pay much attention to isolation and safety protocols–get the information out and exploitable faster!”

Can it, by chance, result in lab security systems being victims to budget cuts and therefore equiped with cheaper standard optical sensors rather than NV ones?