Modified "spotting" handling

Right now, it seems sight is simply based on distance+LOS.

I thought we should add a chance of noticing monsters and of monsters noticing characters even within that range, based on the following conditions making them harder to notice:

Creature’s stealth modifier
Further away
On a hazard square (Bush, small tree, rubble, cars, water, pit)
Behind some hazard or obstacle square (the above, plus tables, benches, counters, etc.)
Not moved recently (this could be simple as having a “motion” tracking variable that ranges from 0-10, decrements each turn by 1 and increases by 3 every time you move, so even moving slower is more stealthy)
Near a wall or obstacle (up to three spaces from a wall. A creature in the middle of an empty field is easier to spot than one in an alleyway, since it sticks out more)

In addition to this change, I’d also make the following map change suggestions:
Tall Grass - Very frequent in Field Squares, tall grass obscures sight.

Hmm. Would it be possible to avoid applying this to most Zs? It seems like it would be a bit of a pain for normal Zs to randomly pass a stealth check when they’re just wandering around in the streets.

On the other hand this sounds like an awesome feature for wolves, bears, Orloks, fast Zs and all those weird supernatural portal creatures.

Normal Zs would have no stealth modifier, so unless they were in/behind some concealing terrain, there’d be effectively no chance of not seeing them.

So would clothing factor into stealth? If I wear a ghillie suit and stand against a rock that is colored red I don’t think it would be effective, same if I wear desert camo in the forest. Would things like this work also? Also ways to hide scent? Will I be able to collect wolf pee?

This is purely for visual spotting, not scent or sound, and I think camo would be well be on the sort of initial proposal I’m making here. Perhaps later on camo could give bonuses relative to certain bit of obstructing terrain, though? It would probably be a good improvement.

So robots could have high stealth in scrapheaps and copter wrecks but not in grass, and ghillie-suit-wearers would have high stealth in grass but not in scrapheaps. (although, this isn’t strickly true - a ghillie suit’s primary purpose is to break up your outline, and will actually help you go unnoticed in almost any situation. There are plenty where it won’t help ENOUGH of course, or nearly as much as another alternative, but consider that stealth isn’t so much about going completely unnoticed so much as unidentified as what you are, I think it would still be pretty effective versus zombies).

[quote=“GlyphGryph, post:5, topic:358”]This is purely for visual spotting, not scent or sound, and I think camo would be well be on the sort of initial proposal I’m making here. Perhaps later on camo could give bonuses relative to certain bit of obstructing terrain, though? It would probably be a good improvement.

So robots could have high stealth in scrapheaps and copter wrecks but not in grass, and ghillie-suit-wearers would have high stealth in grass but not in scrapheaps. (although, this isn’t strickly true - a ghillie suit’s primary purpose is to break up your outline, and will actually help you go unnoticed in almost any situation. There are plenty where it won’t help ENOUGH of course, or nearly as much as another alternative, but consider that stealth isn’t so much about going completely unnoticed so much as unidentified as what you are, I think it would still be pretty effective versus zombies).[/quote]
It sounds like a good idea. Zombies wouldn’t be able to see you as easy, so run across the path of a zombie, stop, drop, and stand still lay still. It is like DayZ xD

I would quite like this feature, I always found it abit odd that mobs have a 360 LoS XD

Possibly even traits to go with this e.g :-

Tall = Negative trait = easier to spot
Short = Positive trait = harder to spot

Not sure how hard that would be to implement just throwing a few ideas :slight_smile:

[quote=“Fengferth, post:7, topic:358”]I would quite like this feature, I always found it abit odd that mobs have a 360 LoS XD

Possibly even traits to go with this e.g :-

Tall = Negative trait = easier to spot
Short = Positive trait = harder to spot

Not sure how hard that would be to implement just throwing a few ideas :)[/quote]
Tall=Blend into trees better
Short=shrubs
Short=can’t climb windows as easy
tall= go through windows with ease

Sounds like a stealth/sneaking/move silently skill would fit right in with this. Stealth mode. Moving in a method as to make maximum usage of the existing concealment. This would affect sound and sight. Though it would be next to useless in the middle of the road with nothing around. Sight modifiers would be based on other sight modifiers. Also, you generally need to see something to effectively hide from it, unless you are slowly crawling through the grass or something. Of course this would drastically increase your movement costs.