Sneaking

Oftentimes when sneaking through a city at night or attempting to loot a heavily populated area, I find myself wishing that I could sacrifice speed and melee combat for stealth. The main problem I have is that everything I do is so noisy. My suggestion is a mode that the player can enter in which they have a huge movement cost (perhaps half normal speed) that allows them to move without alerting nearby monsters by sound and suffering only a small movement cost. Of course, they would still have to disable the mode to enter melee combat.
My thought is that this could be modified by a skill, starting at zero (no noise suppression during sneaking mode) and eventually getting up to a high enough level that there is nearly no sound made by the player while sneaking. Also, could be modified by noise from armor by type of material and volume of carried objects.
The inspiration behind this is my frustration with there being no difference between walking around at night with full reinforced plated leather armor with a duffel bag full of metal crossbow bolts and having on only soft clothing and fur moccasins wearing an empty messenger bag.
Realistically, all of these things make a difference for the noise that moving around makes, and people can progress in skill and become more stealthy even in real life.
Such an implementation would be helpful for players sneaking around and working in heavily infested areas.

Like, it seems like it should be easy to implement – a skill that reduces movement noise (which itself becomes affected by items tagged [NOISY] or [MUFFLED]), and gives a chance for hostiles who could otherwise detect you via sight or sound to over look you – but I think it was an option on the Kickstarter that we simply did not raise enough money to reach.

Which is really unfortunate coz it should be an extremely important aspect of any zombie simulator that strives for realism. Who wouldn’t try to hide in such a circumstance. And sometimes it’s plain silly when my character takes one step out from behind the corner of a building and a zombie over 3 blocks away immediately notices her and makes a b-line in her direction.

Making noise is not a really big issue, Unless you are in a house smashing everything you can usually get away with getting in and getting out without being caught.

The problem with sneaking is, monsters have a 360 degree vision, so unless you are obscured from their site, they can spot you anyway.

Personally I would prefer it if zombies got a big decrease in their viewing range, and were much more sensitive to sound/scent.
That way we could spice up the game quite a bit with “sneaking” and perhaps some kind of scent blocking mechanic (like the bionic, but less effective and cheaper).

It would also make guns quite a bit more balanced, rather than a town clearing machine.

I would really like like as well, I hate looking around a corner or out a window and instantly attracting a mob of zombies. Maybe make it so monsters have a reduced Field of view when you are in sneak mode? Plus slower movement speed and less sound while sneaking.

[quote=“wad67, post:3, topic:4772”]Making noise is not a really big issue, Unless you are in a house smashing everything you can usually get away with getting in and getting out without being caught.

The problem with sneaking is, monsters have a 360 degree vision, so unless you are obscured from their site, they can spot you anyway.[/quote]

Some sort of line-of-sight system would be key here, but IDK whether or not that type of thing is feasible.

Line of sight is a much too hard concept, along with working Z levels and functioning NPCs. :smiley: