Mighty Weapons

[quote=“DG123, post:39, topic:4837”]6 gauge shotgun?! I had no idea that existed.

Can I interest you in a 2 bore rifle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_bore[/quote]

Vera says hello- Directed at ever Jabberwock Ever

Also pretty sure the Davy Crokett is a portable 120 mm cannon, you have to place it in the ground though, so its reallistic (somewhat)

I thought the DC launched nukes.

Yep but the nuke is shot from a 120mm recoilless rifle

Sticking with the semi-realistic, how about the caber? Throwing weapon made from logs, can kill several enemies at once.

We need more X-chucks.
Sword-Chucks!
Staff-Chucks!
Chainsaw-Chucks!
Mininuke-Chucks!

[spoiler]Don’t have a picture for that…[/url]

Mostly, I envision the bulk of mighty melee weapons something a big, dumb mutant could cobble together with little skill or effort. Manhole shields, bumper swords, engine flails etc.

Mighty firearms on the other hand seem like they’d be almost exclusively manufactured for use with powered armor.

A [color=yellow]P[/color]owered [color=yellow]A[/color]rmor [color=yellow]W[/color]eapon [color=yellow]S[/color]ystem if you will.

Some could would draw off an active ups ((And be energy gluttons at that))
Ex. High-yield energy cannons, fusion artillery, cone-lasers

Others would use more mundane munitions and likewise be an easy way to empty your ammo stockpile.
Ex. Gatling-type machine guns, belt fed grenade launchers, high-capacity automatic shotguns, etc.

So with all that said I have to think, besides weight what keeps joe-average from firing these outside of powered armor?

Recoil.

I’ve been thinking about recoil and an addition to how it’s implemented. As it stands ((Correct me if I’m wrong)) the recoil effect simply reduces accuracy as it increments. I’d suggest something more.

In addition to the effect recoil already has, the ‘kick’ of each shot ((I.E. how much it raises your recoil per shot)) is factored against your strength. This check is skipped should you be wearing active power armor.

Depending on how poorly your strength measures up along side the kick several things could happen when you pull the trigger. Such as:
*Dropping the weapon
*Smacking yourself with the weapon
*Being knocked prone
*Additional recoil penalties
*Reduced to-hit

Essentially this simulates how both a sawn-off shotgun and automatic weapon would be difficult to keep trained on a target when fired, but for different reasons. Most firearms would be easy enough for average characters to handle, but it would keep an exceptionally weak character from firing a desert eagle all willy-nilly and leave “mightier” guns for the properly equipped or heavily augmented/mutated.

All that said I do have some DIY mighty firearm ideas.

Samaritan - A revolver that converts empty 40mm grenade canisters to really big bullets
Colossal Bow - A massive bow that fires arrows made from wooden spears
Street Sweeper - Several 9mm submachine guns Jerry-rigged together. Though they fire in tandem each gun must be fed a new magazine individually.

[quote=“Logrin, post:46, topic:4837”]Samaritan - A revolver that converts empty 40mm grenade canisters to really big bullets
Colossal Bow - A massive bow that fires arrows made from wooden spears
Street Sweeper - Several 9mm submachine guns Jerry-rigged together. Though they fire in tandem each gun must be fed a new magazine individually.[/quote]

Oh baby, large firearms? There’s a few I can think of, the obvious ones mostly being weapons ripped from a military vehicle, the M2 or the MK19 automatic grenade launcher.
Otherwise one could take the Vulcan off a jet and use that (The GAU-8 might be just a bit too strong for even the hulk). Hell, one could probably convert a high caliber autocannon into a bolt action rifle, give the giants something a touch bigger than a Barrett to use.

As for craftable weapons, the aforementioned 2 bore or 6 gauge shotguns could be used, maybe the ability to cut down a bolt action rifle into something similar to the Obrez, for the purposes of a BIG handgun.

The colossal bow you recommended sounds a lot like the Greatbows in Dark Souls, though those fire slightly smaller metal spears.

Well, on the topic of military guns, how about an anti-material rifle? When you aren’t absurdly mutated, you have to "a"ctivate it like a trap and set it up, then you can use it to fire at zombies and atomize them. However, when you are insanely strong, you can wield it like a regular rifle. Another activatable type of firearm could be mortars, which (again) you could use as a regular RPG. Speaking of mortars, how about an IRA style propane mortar? Cut the top off of a barrel, stick a load of explosives in it, then put a fuse on it.

If you mean something like a .40 BMG rifle, it seems a little overkill to require a setup. There are .50 BMG pistols, not to mention the .600 Nitro Express. So a .50 BMG rifle isn’t THAT hard to fire…

Just make the firing time long and the recoil completely insane.

The 20mm Anzio might be more suitable for a “set up before firing” weapon considering it’s ridiculously huge.

Look at this guy slowing being shoved backwards off camera more and more with each shot.

We need…

Guardian Angel a 10mm, 1 man carried minigun pistol with six barrels. Each barrel has 7 bullets leading to a whopping 42 bullets fired on a single reload! Each bullet is fired by a small electrical pulse and the shells are ejected out the front of the gun as the next bullet flies through.

Break-Open reload, but worth it for a portable mini-minigun.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:50, topic:4837”]We need…

Guardian Angel a 10mm, 1 man carried minigun pistol with six barrels. Each barrel has 7 bullets leading to a whopping 42 bullets fired on a single reload! Each bullet is fired by a small electrical pulse and the shells are ejected out the front of the gun as the next bullet flies through.

Break-Open reload, but worth it for a portable mini-minigun.[/quote]

Sounds more like a Metal Storm pistol than a gatling.

I would suggest implementing a weapon like this in the game but making it a Metal Storm weapon or equivalent. i.e. No moving parts, constructed from electronic bits, works underwater, ridiculously fast fire rate but you have to replace the barrels to replace the bullets so the reload is slow.

But as for minigun pistols…

I just realised this is the perfect use for the otherwise useless electric drill item.

Make a crafting recipe using the drill, bits of pipe and various other stuff. Result being a minigun pistol. Might as well make it a proper one that has a large capacity though.

I’ve had this idea for a mod for the last while, the ability to create your own weapons similar to how you can create your own cars.

You find items, arrange them on a screen very similar to the car screen, using stuff like duct tape and whatever, and depending on where the “handle” is(this would be like the controls, except needed to build the weapon) would determine the items final stats.

So you could tape a shotgun to a chainsaw, create the weapon, the game would go through a number of calculations to determine the stat values. And then you have a chainsaw you can shoot(but it would be harder to wield).

I remember that thread. Was a good idea, too.

[quote=“DG123, post:49, topic:4837”]If you mean something like a .40 BMG rifle, it seems a little overkill to require a setup. There are .50 BMG pistols, not to mention the .600 Nitro Express. So a .50 BMG rifle isn’t THAT hard to fire…

Just make the firing time long and the recoil completely insane.[/quote]

There’s .50 pistol ammunition, and then there’s .50 RIFLE ammunition, the rifle’s got about three times as much length as the pistol round (Meaning a lot more powder behind the shot), there’s a really big difference between those two.

Onto actual designs, how about the legendary, lovely, Lahti.

That thing’s 20mm of FURY, and comes with its own skids, for brutes to drag around like a shopping cart.

Has anyone suggested the ‘Fire Hydrant on a stick’ yet? Like the behemoths in Fallout 3 wield? That’d be a pretty good high strength weapon.

I’ve been trying to think of a high-strength piercing weapon for awhile and it just keeps coming back to combat jackhammer.

Maybe a decent sized Auger? Those things are pretty nasty.

You’re referring to .50AE and similar vs .50BMG.

Yes, usually you’d be right. But I was talking about this.

.50 BMG pistol, exactly the same bullet as the anti-materiel rifle.

Not to mention this

.600 Nitro Express

[quote=“Logrin, post:46, topic:4837”]So with all that said I have to think, besides weight what keeps joe-average from firing these outside of powered armor?

Recoil. [/quote]

I’ve had mental-images of the Power Armor having to “set up” to fire anything really large. For simplicity’s sake … imagine the Siege Tank from Starcraft … how it has to slap down the “feet” and make itself immobile to fire artillery.

Power Armor with a RBG (Really Big Gun) would mean you’d need to lock yourself to the ground and brace yourself to fire it, because otherwise you’d blow yourself backwards off your feet (and potentially to death) from the sheer force of it. You’re literally a mobile artillery platform … it’d be designed to get the big guns into locations you can’t drag a tow’d artillery piece. Paradrop a squad with PA and a big crate of RBGs into the jungle or mountains somewhere and let them do their thing, etc. PA was, I assume, designed in DDA’s universe for squad-based military setups … you’re supposed to have a team of people protecting you, using it all alone should be dangerous.

Therefore, random-joe-guy can’t fire PA attachments without the PA … and PA attachments of mass destruction can’t just be run-and-gunned without any negative affects. You need to tactically set yourself up.

Just my random imaginary ramblings.

Edit … and I’ll tack this on just to agree with it. You can have Sci-Fi + “Realism” and it works beautifully, or you can go too far.

I just mental-imaged Han Solo with a Moose-On-A-Stick sword, or a rifle with a flaming-rebar-chainsaw-bayonette and threw up alil in my mouth :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“DG123, post:57, topic:4837”]You’re referring to .50AE and similar vs .50BMG.
.50 BMG pistol, exactly the same bullet as the anti-materiel rifle.
Not to mention this

.600 Nitro Express[/quote]

I actually had to check to see if I was right, and the Thunder or one of it’s relatives came up when I was googling it and I just thought “That’s a bit much, even for me.” Although the Pfeifer Zeliska would be a pretty good sidearm for someone who’s hulked out.

Also, about the Sci-fi/realism thing, I always figured that Cataclysm sort of took after Fallout, Post Apocalyptia with a fair bit of gleefully ludicrous content in.

CBM: Panzerhaubitze

“A fully functional tank howitzer mounted onto your back. While this bionic is installed, you can’t wear anything on your torso and you suffer a permanent torso encumberance of 6. To fire, you have to kneel on all fours.
Also fuck recoil.”