Melee makes noise?

So I had thought, seeing as how making noise is discouraged and/or results in !!FUN!!, that using melee attacks would be much quieter than firearms. I’m a little bit surprised to note it only took me about 40 hours of real time play to notice that stabbing a zombie with a knife makes more noise than walking, or firing a silenced .22, and only slightly less noise than firing a silenced 9mm.

The only logical explanation I can come up with is the character grunts like a tennis player whenever they make an attack. What purpose does this serve (aside from making static spawn that much more !!FUN!!)?

With a silencer, there isn’t much noise from the weapon, and with a firearm, there isn’t much noise from the impact itself with such weapon.
So of course dealing with a Z with a knife will do more “noise” in term of gameplay, because there isn’t actually any way to “sneack”, “backstab” or stuff like this.

Well I guess we could always make the first X attacks depending on certain weapon characteristics (mass and volume probably), so lets say a knife could get 2 silent attacks while a bat would get none.

Maybe there’s a big splortch sound when you pull the knife out, or the zombie is yelping at being stabbed… also, why would walking make more noise? do you regularly go stomping down the street in tap dancing shoes?

Surprisingly enough the majority of people make a fair bit of noise while walking, enough that you can hear them within a few meters of where they are standing.

Squeak squeak squeak squak. Clown shoes in the apocalypse.

. Ninja shoes in the apocalypse.

You called?

Normal walking makes 6 noise, light step makes 2. Melee, with anything that isn’t running on a motor (chainsaw, jacqueshammer, etc) makes 8.

[quote=“Oragepoilu, post:2, topic:5085”]With a silencer, there isn’t much noise from the weapon, and with a firearm, there isn’t much noise from the impact itself with such weapon.
So of course dealing with a Z with a knife will do more “noise” in term of gameplay, because there isn’t actually any way to “sneack”, “backstab” or stuff like this.[/quote]

That’s what I’m getting at. A slienced 9mm weapon makes 9 sound, a silenced .22 makes 6.

I’m still of the opinion that all survivors are channeling the spirits of professional tennis players whenever they attack.

That’s… Odd.

Guns still make large amounts of noise when silenced IRL, but still, Melee shouldn’t make roughly the same amount of noise, unless it’s something like hitting a robot with a pipe.

[quote=“TheWumpus, post:9, topic:5085”]That’s what I’m getting at. A slienced 9mm weapon makes 9 sound, a silenced .22 makes 6.

I’m still of the opinion that all survivors are channeling the spirits of professional tennis players whenever they attack.[/quote]
Good Point.
Thought i think only stab,pierce weapons should make less noise, to bash weapons i just imagine a baseball bat hitting a thick skull and making a sound like a homerun batter

1. Not everything Ka’lol attacks, whether via fist, Long Talon, shin, machete, rapier, No.9, or flammenschwert, is gonna quietly take it. Part of melee noise is the Opposition* reacting, and yes, part of it may well be your character grunting too. Melee combat between reasonably matched adversaries is at least as grueling as a tennis match. If you ever got into a fight–depressingly common in USian schools, and I’ve been in a few–were you perfectly quiet during it? I know I wasn’t!

*A zombie might not make noise when chopped with a machete. I suspect a moose or bear might. Dunno about triffids.

1. Problem with quiet stuff is that it’s not audible very far away. I’m not 100% certain, but I think noise 8 isn’t audible on the far side of a house. So if a scuffle gets any quieter, it’ll be tough to have folks hear it and respond.

IIRC the noise to distance ratio is 1 to 1, meaning an 8 noise sound will be able to be heard from any tile within 8 spaces of the source.

There’s really no reason for zeds ‘not’ to make noise when injured or surprised, they are still technically ‘alive’, just incredibly brain damaged and mutated.

suppressed(not silenced, there is no such thing with firearms) should require a new ammo type, Subsonic, in order to get the 6 noise for the .22 and 9 noise for the 9mm. otherwise the report is still pretty loud, the suppressor simply decreases it slightly, with most guns only enough to not damage your hearing from prolonged target practice.

Pretty confident the CB and ratshot rounds already are subsonic. :wink: 9mm might be able to take it, though.

You know, I’m pretty darn sure that slamming a body with a baseball bat hard enough to damage bones or slicing through flesh with a machete probably makes noise.

Mostly this. Slamming a slab of meat with a 2x4 is still going to make alot more noise than taking a normal step as well as being more noisy than the few silenced .22s ive heard.

Subsonics make sense from a realism perspective, but tbh I look at them as being more of a hassle to have as a new type of ammo from a game sense. Its also a bit of a bugger for a non gun person to work out if they have no idea what subsonics are.

Just adding a sound modifier variable to ammo and guns could work. As a fix for the weapons. Just give the subsonic rounds a negative modifier.