Medieval and Other Content [Merged]

Huh, that’s odd. Copper tubes should be dismantlable. O.o

Just checked again - they are not. Neither from the inventory nor from butchering

Ah mierda, you’re right. That might have to be added in a PR. I could presumably tweak the recipe to allow copper tubing for now. @_@

Shields- thou art beautiful…

Shields? I can’t download right now but could I ask how are they used? An idea would be to be like a wearable item with very low encumberance, but that would cover the whole body with a high percentage change of taking the hit. Is it that? O:

Curious thought, does ‘block chance’ use up stamina? So much DS so little time.

You know, if it does not, that’d be incredibly awesome. And it would make shields not op at all, and realistic.

Spiked shields could be a neat addon as they function similarly to the spines mutation of doing moderate counter damage from a ‘block chance.’

I don’t know how that would be implemented, but yes!

And in highly belated response, shields function like armor. While you could wield them and give it the block technique, that’d preclude using a weapon. So far they mostly rely on the simple functions of using coverage to represent block chance, protection values for how much damage they absorb, and encumbrance as…well, how encumbering they are.

Even then, since they used the strapped layer, their encumbrance is tweaked with the assumption that most survivors still want a backpack.

And also, most of them only cover the hands, arms, and torso, which longer shields also covering the legs. I probably should make them protect the head though. Covering the eyes or mouth would be rather wonky though.

A way to balance shields also is to have a specific enemy grab attack on the shield leaving your character vulnerable to other attacks from other zombies besides the one who’s grabbing your shield.

Do note that this stuff predates my getting into Github. Hell, I still need to give the spear weapons the REACH_ATTACK flag. Expanding on shield properties would be nice, but when I made these I had to do it the stupid way. And even then, not sure how feasible it’d be to code, for me at least.

this + this = fun

Can we craft shields?

The wood shield is easily craftable, the other variants are craftable but more advanced. Need to double-check if any of them besides the wooden shield are autloearned. >.>

I think they are in the same book as the other medieval stuff. I already had the book when installing this mod, so I am not sure.

Random, small problem ;3

Shields aren’t just armor. They are just as much a weapon as a sword might be xD It was normal that people shieldbash you, especially with smaller shields like bucklers, and damn, do they hurt. Sadly, I assume this isn’t possible to implement without a second hand though xD
man, I want the second hand slot…like, now. dual wielding swords all the way :3 or axes, for the berserker-feel, huehue

Exactly why I went with them being armor, we don’t have duel wielding or any other way to use them in a more effective manner. ;_;

Maybe we could make two-handed paired weapons: gladius and scutum, rapier and main gauche, etc. Then stat them out as the pair of weapons together. Them sticking in foes and technicians pulling them make it a little wonky but it should mostly work.

That would be extra wonky, really. Plus, even when you block an attack with a shield, it can still inflict blunt trauma to the offending arm or get through the shield depending on the nature of the attack.

As it stands, making it armor seems a little better than having it randomly outright negate attacks. The catch is, in addition to being unable to use it offensively, the “you can still be hurt through the shield” mechanic only represents the targeted body part getting hit, there’s no mechanic for getting your arm broken from blocking a blow that was supposed to bash your head in. XP