Mansion Upgrade Project

[quote=“egomassive, post:20, topic:12888”]I’ve added items to all 54 maps. It took 1341 lines of json just to declare my item groups, and my mansion blueprint file is now at 4387 lines. wipes brow with back of hand

To Do List:
[ul][li]add monsters[/li]
[li]figure out some items that aren’t working correctly[/li]
[li]z-level linking and rotation issues dealt with[/li]
[li]test, balance, repeat.[/li][/ul]

I’ll push it to my github branch after I’ve knocked out a few of these points. I’ll be wanting feedback on balance, and you’ll probably be wanting to check it out.[/quote]

Awesome!

I have a dilemma. One of the center maps of my mansions is an indoor basketball court. The problem is pavement, yellow pavement, and the backboards are all outdoor terrain. I could use the waxed floor and create new indoor terrain for the other 2 types I need, or I could replace the gym with something else. On one hand, I hesitate to add anything that will require updating every tileset. On the other hand, I like my gym and its little sauna. Feedback/ideas welcome.

[quote=“egomassive, post:22, topic:12888”]I have a dilemma. One of the center maps of my mansions is an indoor basketball court. The problem is pavement, yellow pavement, and the backboards are all outdoor terrain. I could use the waxed floor and create new indoor terrain for the other 2 types I need, or I could replace the gym with something else. On one hand, I hesitate to add anything that will require updating every tileset. On the other hand, I like my gym and its little sauna. Feedback/ideas welcome.

[/quote]

maybe you could look at what the dojo or gym does, and use that as a flooring instead? pavement indoors is a bit odd, maybe wood flooring would be better? like the ones seen in the dojo ?? i think.

No luck there. The gyms all have regular floors. The boxing gym has a canvas boxing ring and the dojo has tatami mats. I never realized those floor coverings were both considered furniture. (I heard it rains inside the tents at the FEMA camps. If that’s true then fixing it can be as simple as placing dirt floors beneath the canvas floors.) It was worth a look though, good thinking 123nick.
[hr]
Edit: Now that codemime’s Overmap Overhaul (Step 4) has been merged, rotation problems are history. I’m going with new terrain based on waxed floors for the basketball court. Once I get monsters to spawn I think I’ll push it to my github branch for previewing. There will still be z-level linking issues, so it wont be ready to merge for some time. (By “z-level linking” I mean I need to get mapgen to pick a piece of the mansion at random, and have that piece be able to specify it’s z-level neighbors. It’s necessary for stairwells and balconies to match up.)

I’ve created a test pack for this project.

Download CDDAMansionTestPack.zip 33KB

It’s a little different from my ultimate goal. This will only produce 4 variations of the mansion to ensure z-levels are stacked properly. Please try it out and then criticize it without mercy give me helpful feedback here.

Not bad.

Hey! I’ll download and test this later today. Thanks for your work!

So, feedback is trickling in slowly. I haven’t run into any problems in my own testing. I’m likely to throw this up for a pull request soon. It’s not the final form I’m going for, but it’s still better than the old mansions as is. The chief reason is so this will get better exposure and people will make threads like, “mansions are effed up!” which I can read for angry feedback.

In the meantime I’ve been reading through the source, figuring out all the pieces I need to link z-levels. Progress is slow. Also, I’ve been working on the MShock32XottoPlus graphics.

Ah sorry, I’ll definitively test your mansion project for my next game! Or … can I add the mod in my current game and have the new areas generated with your mansions? Yes I believe I can!! But I will hit again the ‘can’t place more than 72 specials’ issue problem that I never really understood in a game with an infinite map…

As for you working on the MShock32XottoPlus graphic pack, that is awesome! Please keep me updated, this the one I’m using and it is simply the best around for me. I’m not much into the Chestholes style graphics (aka big baby heads)

If you add this to your current game you should keep getting the old mansions until you enter a new region. There’s no obvious way to tell if you’re in a new region or not. Your world options also need the Tall Buildings mod enabled. Regions are something like 30 square kilometers, and the 72 special structure limit applies to each region. So, if you’ve started in one region and entered a second, then there will be 144 special structures in your world.

The 72 can be different you mean?

[quote=“Nibelung44, post:31, topic:12888”]The 72 can be different you mean?[/quote]The structures you get in a region can be different. Each region can have another 72 structures.

Probably quite late but I’ve pretty thoroughly explored one of these new mansions and just wanted to give you my 2 cents.

First off: It’s awesome I would love these to be the new mansions. Especially if we had some way to randomize the tiles to a point so seeing the first few rooms won’t eventually give you a full mental map of the rest of the mansion.

Second: A bug/inconvenience you may not be able to do anything about. On the 2nd floors some of these balconies can’t really be determined when you don’t know they are there. I actually accidentally dropped down a floor above the central basketball court because the ascii for a floor in the dark is identical to the tile for open space in the dark. After coming back there the railing makes it obvious in hindsight, but it might throw off some new folks.

And third, more of a suggestion: So far I’ve only located one mansion out in the woods, but if you haven’t placed some in others already, a garage might be a good addition to some mansions. They are supposedly the toys of the rich by the time of the cataclysm after all.

Awesome work mate :smiley:

Thanks for the input Greiger.

Randomized mansions are the goal, but I’ve got to figure out how to get the matching upstairs on a randomly chosen ground floor. The relevant parts of the hard code are a difficult read.

I’ve no idea what could be done about open air and un-lit flooring appearing the same in ASCII. I play with tiles so it’s good to hear about these sorts of issues.

I’ve considered making a garage piece. Because of the way mansions connect to roads, it would need to be a front-center piece of a near-to-town mansion. I never had a clear image of how to make that look appropriate for a rich estate, so I’m not going to worry about that until I get everything else working correctly.

Are your mansions supersede or additional to the vanilla ones? Because this can lead to ‘too many mansions’

Supersede, but only if you use the Tall Buildings mod. With out Tall Buildings you should still get the old hard-coded mansions. The probability of getting a mansion is preserved either way.

For the uninitiated, you can try out the upgraded mansions by downloading a zip file from the OP. Instructions are included.

Thanks!

There are so many things that can be done for buildings, like more diverse survivor basements etc.

[quote=“Nibelung44, post:37, topic:12888”]Thanks!

There are so many things that can be done for buildings, like more diverse survivor basements etc.[/quote]

Agreed, lots of buildings could use some variety if they were easier to code. Turning mansions into modular JSON files sounds like a good start to do that. Modular FEMA camps and the like would be a peace of cake compared to your Z level Mansion project.

I want to mainline these awesome overmaps - https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/22072