Makeshift Command Center - Zombies appeared inside a secured building?

I found an excellent building that identifies itself as a “Makeshift Command Center” on the map.

After using it for a while I returned to find a pair of zombies lurking in a sealed room where I was growing some plants.

As far as I can tell there is no way they could have gotten in. The building has thick metal walls and metal doors along with a wall gate type door on the exterior that only opens/closes when a device is operated.

I checked the entire base and there wasn’t any obvious holes punched in the walls or anything.

Is this normal and what can I do to protect myself (and the poorly armed NPCs I’ve been rescuing) from these unexpected zombie guests?

My only thought is perhaps the patches of garden/dirt count as outside the building so they spawned on them?

do you have hordes on? if so then it doesn’t matter how much wall you have, zombies will spawn .

Thank you for the information that would indeed be the cause of the problem as I do have the zombie horde spawns in the city enabled.

Additional Question:
Does this only effect buildings inside the city or are ones in the countryside also going to have uninvited guests pop up inside of them?

I don’t really want to turn off the horde mode but having them randomly kill the NPCs while I’m away isn’t very appealing.

This building is from a mod called “Cataclysm ++” and no zombies should spawns inside. If it is true that hordes are at fault then nothing can be done. Also, the dirt terrain might be an issue, stand on it and see if you can hear a rain if you use a soundpack while it’s raining. If so then that might be the issue too and a roof would be needed…

P.S: Do the NPCs inside the building start running when you encounter them?

The issues with hordes and where they spawn is actually a significantly difficult problem.

Right now, when they are flashing Zs on the overmap, they travel without regard for terrain. Adding some kind of speed modifier for the type of terrain wouldn’t be too hard (I would assume), but actually determining where they can get to (which would also implicate where they can BASH into, which has further implications…) is not a trivial problem.

I think the best solution would be to allow one “base” area per world that gets its own secondary reality bubble, but that is also a non-trivial amount of work, so hordes will have this problem for the foreseeable future.

The short-term solution is to have your NPCs in the basement (or upper floor) - hordes only move on the main level.

[quote=“deoxy, post:5, topic:13973”]The issues with hordes and where they spawn is actually a significantly difficult problem.

Right now, when they are flashing Zs on the overmap, they travel without regard for terrain. Adding some kind of speed modifier for the type of terrain wouldn’t be too hard (I would assume), but actually determining where they can get to (which would also implicate where they can BASH into, which has further implications…) is not a trivial problem.

I think the best solution would be to allow one “base” area per world that gets its own secondary reality bubble, but that is also a non-trivial amount of work, so hordes will have this problem for the foreseeable future.

The short-term solution is to have your NPCs in the basement (or upper floor) - hordes only move on the main level.[/quote]

being able to force your base to stay within a reality bubble while you’re away would be a pretty nice feature all on it’s own too at least, have to make sure you let the funnels and solar panels do their thing for a day or two as is.

That’s been dealt with - don’t remember if it started in 0.C or sometime early in this development phase, but solar panels do their thing (that’s why electric cars with non-destroyed batteries are always found full later), and IIRC, funnels do to.

The benefits of keeping your base in memory would be NPC and horde related more than anything else.

The NPCs you can trade with on the refugee center and ranch/outpost also changes their inventory every once in a while even if they’re away from your player’s reality bubble. It also keeps track of how many hours NPC companions spend on the jobs you can assign to them in those areas, paying accordingly.

That’s been dealt with - don’t remember if it started in 0.C or sometime early in this development phase, but solar panels do their thing (that’s why electric cars with non-destroyed batteries are always found full later), and IIRC, funnels do to.

The benefits of keeping your base in memory would be NPC and horde related more than anything else.[/quote]

strange, i’m fairly certain that definitely does not happen, that’s actually why i intentionally spend a day or two nearby the evac shelter before initially leaving.

Solar panel calculations definitely occur outside the reality bubble (or are calculated for time outside the bubble when the entity enters the bubble). Im willing to bet funnels do too.

I concur on the solar panels thing - that’s an absolute definite that I’ve put directly to the test on more than one occasion.

I’ve been told by the coders that funnels do, too, but I’ve never checked it quite as thoroughly. Sure seems to.

Would be nice if turrets treated neutral NPCs as hostiles. Problem solved in that case.

Or if there was some way of “claiming” a vehicle such that taking things out of it marked them as hostile so you don’t take the morale hit for taking your stuff back.

I just brought this up in the Noob Questions thread. I’d reckon the easiest way to handle this would be for the Track Vehicle Location command in the Controls menu to mark all tiles on that vehicle forbidden for NPC pickup.

I just brought this up in the Noob Questions thread. I’d reckon the easiest way to handle this would be for the Track Vehicle Location command in the Controls menu to mark all tiles on that vehicle forbidden for NPC pickup.[/quote]

That only helps with NPCs in your group. NPCs that aren’t following you would still be free to take your stuff, then stick you with a morale penalty if you killed them to get it back (since there’s no way to “rob” them like they can do to you).

Oh, so the “No NPC Pickup” zone only applies to allied followers? Well… shit. scurries off to board up all his windows

NPCs inside the base did not run away when I approached they just maintained their position.

The recruited NPCs were assigned to guard their position and only attack enemies that are within reach.

The zombies that were inside the base were not in the same room as the NPCs so perhaps they hadn’t been disturbed by their presence yet.

(Sorry about the late reply.)

I wasn’t aware you could assign jobs to NPCs. Could you please tell me how to do this?

Its a conversation option you can have with certain npc’s in special locations (the refugee shelter and ranch, possibly the necropolis), something along the longs of “I heard you need help with something” where it prompts you with a list (one) job and its pay.

Solar Panels, Funnels, NPCs listed as Traders, NPC Construction Projects and farms all happen outside the reality bubble as of about 2 years ago.