Make it so that walking into locked doors will attempt to lockpick/pry them open

Title says it all. Just a minor quality of live improvement.

Trying to open a locked door like you would an unlocked door, should just make you lockpick or pry it.

Despite having a halligan bar and a locksmith kit, i’m still breaking windows just because i’m too lazy to spam them on the door myself.

Good idea.

Or a “Pry? y/n” prompt when you walk into or maybe interact with a locked door or window. Seems like it’d be handier for tools clipped to your belt.

Could be under ‘o’ (underused button), but not walking into, since prying and picking have side effects (noise/damage or lots of time wasted).

It could work like, for example, the vehicle controls popup if you have both of the tools, but if you have only one of the two it could just be a Y/N menu

Keying it to the "o"pen key seems like the best of both worlds. Shortens clicks and it makes sense that if you have to open a door you would attempt to unlock it first.

Is there any difference in using the ‘o’ key versus running into doors and windows?

[quote=“TheKobold, post:6, topic:11844”]Keying it to the "o"pen key seems like the best of both worlds. Shortens clicks and it makes sense that if you have to open a door you would attempt to unlock it first.

Is there any difference in using the ‘o’ key versus running into doors and windows?[/quote]

Seen none, but for some reason, i prefer to 'o’pen windows, but open doors by walking into them… some kind of habit i guess…

Just a side suggestion but maybe the open key could have you open them silently. Tired of seeing zombies pop up in my yard when the only noise I make is closing my doors. I have light step and putt-putt my cars into the driveway.

Definitely something that needs to be cleaned up.

I like the idea of walking into a crate/door/whatever should prompt to open. Crates are obvious, since they should just use the crowbar … with doors, I guess it makes sense to prompt, especially when all i have in an improvided lock pick and a mechanics of zero, and then I would want to use my crowbar before I waste time with lockpicks.

i dont like it.

if running from horde or pressed for time,spending even 6 seconds trying to lockpick a door is dangerous

[quote=“pisskop, post:10, topic:11844”]i dont like it.

if running from horde or pressed for time,spending even 6 seconds trying to lockpick a door is dangerous[/quote]

Likewise, like accidentally trying to pry open a window and you end up breaking the window by accident… could be dangerous.