Magazines/clips dont work like that

I second this notion, though, from my limited knowledge of real-world firearms, I suppose it would only actually work on bigger box-magazines like those found on SMGs and assault rifles. Your average 9mm pistol’s magazine wouldn’t really accommodate such a thing, since they generally sit flush with the gun grip itself. An extended magazine would be a different story, but that’s getting into slightly complicated territory, I would think.

Otherwise, this is a sound idea which should be implemented.

Definitely in favor of magazines and clips being separate from the gun itself. I’d love to be able to salvage the magazines from other weapons so that I can reload my guns more quickly. Yeah it’s a little more inventory management but I think it could be handled relatively slickly using a sort of context-sensitive reload function:

Gun is EMPTY
is there a loaded magazine available?
If YES, reload with magazine containing highest ammunition count.
If NO, then reload magazine (one bullet at a time)

Gun is FULL
Reload will load ammunition into any spare magazines for the weapon.

Also, since we’re on the subject of guns and recoil and stuff, I’d like to see melee combat have an effect on firearms usage. Especially with larger guns, it is extremely difficult to shoot someone in melee range. Obviously zombies aren’t terribly clever and don’t know to avoid the muzzle, but regardless, if you have a rifle and are getting gnawed on, you are going to have a hard time shooting the gnawer. So my suggestion is to impose recoil on the player every time they are struck in melee combat. The severity of the recoil adjustment would be based on the kind of weapon. Handguns would be very minor, while hunting rifles would be quite severe.

I just want to see some old-fashioned WW2-era rifles like the Mosin-Nagant, especially because that gun in particular is quite popular. This is partly due to the fact that over 37 million were produced and also because one can be easily bought for ~$150. And they come with a bayonet.

[quote=“Hyena Grin, post:42, topic:1959”]Yeah it’s a little more inventory management but I think it could be handled relatively slickly using a sort of context-sensitive reload function:

Gun is EMPTY
is there a loaded magazine available?
If YES, reload with magazine containing highest ammunition count.
If NO, then reload magazine (one bullet at a time)

Gun is FULL
Reload will load ammunition into any spare magazines for the weapon.[/quote]

That’s a good point, this is basically what it does now, just with the spare magazine having to be assigned to the weapon. This can be extended to something like:
Tactical reload -> top off magazine in weapon -> top off most-full spare for weapon -> display a list of magazines in inventory to load.
If you want to do something different, such as reloading a magazine for another weapon in preperation for using it, you’d need to go through the i->item->r interface, or assign a seperate key to “reload in inventory” directly.

Hrm, actually it might be reasonable to have our cake and eat it too here. We can have a “smart reload” command like the above that would top off the magazine in question, this would be mapped to ‘r’ by default. We can also have a “reload single round” command that does the same, but a round at a time that is not mapped to a key by default, and if you prefer that behavior you can map it to ‘r’ or something else.

Also I realized there’s a solution for an issue that’s been bugging me, reloading a magazine that’s in a gun is a 3-step process, eject, load rounds, insert. Loading a round at a time is problematic because you theoretically are doing eject-reload-insert on each cycle or something, but I realized all we have to do is track the previous action (I think we do already) and charge for eject-load round-insert on the first reload action, and just load round on any subsequent actions, and the costs come out the same, so you can hit reload, reload, reload until you’re done, then just do your next action (probably either fire, or pause to steady your aim)

I know that this is just marginal, but… Have you ever noticed that revolvers eject brass?

There’s no such thing as a revolver in terms of game mechanics. They’re just RELOAD_ONE pistols.

Yah, but in terms of realism… No revolver has brass ejecting mechanism.

To support guns that don’t eject brass immediately we’d need to track individual rounds in the gun, which we don’t currently do. If we change to rounds being individual items, we’d turn them into casings when fired, and either eject them, or supress the ejection based on a flag. Then when you reload you’d eject them at that point.