[Lua]: Degrade Buildings (Last updated on: 2018-06-19)

Here’s the Dropbox directory I symlink to my game mods folder, and here’s a premade .zip archive of the mod.

I noticed some issues with subway tunnel generation (numerous tunnels tend to flip to north-south alignment rather than rotating properly), but I’m not positive that’s the mod’s fault or the game’s itself, since some of that was finicky when I played last year, too, and it seems to persist on a reset test world even with the subway JSON overrides disabled.

Anyway, the summary of changed features is:

• Rubble placement made only on internal floors (although some generation seems to produce rubble outside of structures for unknown reasons, such as at mansions – perhaps the default terrain is “t_floor” or something).
  • More messages with higher immersion introduced into the graffiti generation, and graffiti is now substantially rarer (usually only easy to find one or two per building/overmap tile).
  • Debris generally toned down by a factor of around 50% to 65%, to make it possible to navigate rubble and destroy fewer shelves in open rooms, while still making doors and narrow hallways difficult to navigate.
  • Windows will account for boarding or bars when being broken by the script. Reinforced glass does not match by keyword and will never be broken (original behaviour).
  • Metal doors will not be broken (but may incidentally be destroyed if rubble manages to fall on them).
  • Some tiles will be “smashed” using the vanilla function (the same feature that the player uses to smash zombies to pulp, except the function is guaranteed to smash the tile successfully), which will leave behind waste components.
  • Walls can also be smashed on rare occasions (except glass walls, which are more frequently broken), which may allow “mouse-holes” for players to enter buildings from somewhere other than the doors (it’s particularly satisfying when they generate emergently on buildings whose doors are broken, although the script makes no effort to do so deliberately).
  • When floors are smashed, they sometimes cause a collapse that creates large rubble piles (vanilla behaviour), which lends even more flavour to the map generation – just trigger a smash of a floor tile on rare occasions and the facilities can be really neat.

I didn’t alter the credit notice since as far as I’m concerned it’s still your mod and I don’t feel particularly comfortable claiming it, distributing it, or taking it over as maintainer. =)