SPOILERS AHEAD. DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SPOILED.
I noticed that some things do not make quite sense (yet). Fortunately though, this is not a “Whine about the game” post since I love worldbuilding and can definitely help out with suggestions and JSON tasks.
They seem almost pristine, yet the current lore says there was quite a lot of chaos. I am aware of the No Hope mod, which makes it all far more difficult and realistic (in my opinion at least).
Most of the houses are pristine, too. Since there were “riots”, aka zombies wandering the streets, why wouldnt they have clawed at the doors trying to get in? A zombie smashed my closed window in at night because I slept near it, and they are sensible to sounds, too. Why did they not try to get into the buildings?
- Suggestion: Let the cities reflect the chaotic nature and zombies did try to get to the living. The hordes wandered into different parts of the city, catching people by surprise due to their brainless and unpredictable behavior. This could also lead to burned down and otherwise damaged houses due to all the panic and chaos.
You can find lava in mines. I even spoke briefly with Kevin Granade on IRC about it and he said it is poorly supported in lore. It is supposed to be a feature of the Cataclysm.
- Suggestion: You can find fumaroles with tears in reality on them on ground level, so this is a good starting point, especially because mines are… special. You could say some of the eldritch power escaping lead to those fumaroles. Or portals which have since vanished.
So the blob spread via the groundwater and every being on earth is infected. And they become zombies after death. But why did almost everyone die?
- Suggestion: See my suggestion in The citites above.
Or did they suddenly turn into zombies? But why are the player and the NPCs not affected?
The plantlife also mutated inconsistently. See e.g poppy plants
- Suggestion: Create more mutated plants and crops or say the government or some facility created mutated poppies and it escaped into the wild. Or something.
I find it funny that every poppy flower on the planet has mutated without failure.
- Suggestion: Make mutated poppies rare by replacing say 75% of them with normal ones.