Official Lore(spoiler)

Since there were some requests on putting official lore into one place, I thought I’d create a topic.

Lore discussions
Lore discussion:http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=9461.0
CDDA design outline:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LhNpXGXmkPOxp_cp0-c9G7xqnihwApq-eZSa99exfcU/edit?pli=1
Official cannon:http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=4160.04
Triffid discussion:http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=10178.0

[center]Factions[/center]

[center]Zombies[/center]

Goals: Destroy non-blob

Zombies are technically controlled by the blob, but since they take up a major part of the game, and people have questions I decided to deal with them as a separate faction.

Zombies are created by X037, aka the blob. Pretty much everyone on earth is infected by the blob via water supply, which quickly spreads through a person and then goes dormant, stopped by “willpower”. However once someone dies, that willpower is gone, and the blob finishes spreading through the body and then reanimates the body under the blob’s control. The zombie is a sort of shell that protects the blob from effects of being on a different plane, which causes a lot of the initial nether creatures to die off. Enough damage will overload the blob and cause it to die out, preventing revivication.

Most zombies aren’t that smart, probably due to the blob adapting to the ‘prime’ plane, but some special zombies, and other zombies over time can become ‘intelligent’. The blob operates on a higher level, so directly controlling zombies, isn’t a major concern… right now.

A certain amount of mass is needed for the blob to revive a corpse, so no zombie birds, squirrels, rats etc. Zombies will also adapt over time, as the blob continues to make the zombies… ‘better’.

There are currently only three ways to rid yourself of the blob infecting you-becoming one with the Mycus, rapid teleportation, and the substance known as PE062, only the first one is currently in-game.

[center]The Blob or X037[/center]

Goals: Adapt and spread.

The Blob is a ‘hive-mind’ that spans dimensions and is one of the big ‘three’. The blob conquers planes by adapting to local conditions rather than transforming the world to suit its base state. The blob is very intelligent, but is more focused on the macro level, hence why most zombies and blobs are not that smart. If the blob decides to get directly involved it will be a dangerous opponent-as was shown when the blob overloaded the portal creation devices all over the world, allow it to escape and infect the water supply, starting the Cataclysm.

Such a ‘intervention’ probably won’t’ happen due to player interaction, unless a mass-scale version of PE037 is created and released into one of the blob’s home planes. It has been hinted that it would be very bad.

The blob has entire sub-prime planes devoted to creating energy to fuel its ‘armies’, hence it has no need to eat, and just wants to kill you so it can fully infect you making you one of them.

Blob monsters like the zombie are focused about adapting to the environment rather than trying to change it If there is a sub-prime of fire the blob will adapt to become fire-proof, or if there is a plane of acid, it will adapt to become acidproof.

Endgame for the blob would be turning everything into a blob-controlled creature or plant, but it probably won’t happen due to the other sub-prime factions fighting for the prime plane…

[center]Mycus[/center]

Goals: Transform and Assimilate

The Mycus are mushroom-like creatures that are focused on transforming the environment, creatures and plants around it to become one with the Mycus, and are one of the big ‘three’. The Mycus has the unique ability to transform the environment around it to suit its needs, and would rather transform something than kill it. For example, rather than destroy zombies, the Mycus converts them to its cause.

The Mycus prefers to take a more direct approach than the blob, and is able to be communicated with by humans that have some Mycus in them, and is really friendly once you get to know the Mycus… and that is all part of the plan.

The Mycus are like a Succubus or Incubi, in that the Mycus is very seductive, and useful to humans. Take the Marloss plant for instance-instantly filling, and provides a good morale boost, making it appealing to the hungry survivor. The Mycus are like the Borg, but instead of bringing Death Cubes, they bring candy, and if that doesn’t work, then they bring the Death Cubes, which are also made of candy.

The Mycus HATES the blob, and bringing those two together in a survivor will force a reaction that will eliminate either the blob or the Mycus, and is one of the few things that can eliminate the infection in a human.

Endgame for the Mycus, is probably generating enough spores to enter the jet-stream and spread across the world. With enough fugus in the area, you could see “spore storms”, which transform an area into fungus. I could also see the Mycus getting a hold of P037 and being able to produce it and using it to battle the blob-which would make the blob take notice.

[center]Triffids[/center]

Goals: Conquer

The Triffids are plant creatures that are one of the ‘big three’. Triffids operate on a feudal basis, with each triffid or creature having been bred to have a set role. The triffids are controlled by a heart, and each heart competes with each other for territory, and the hearts are structured into ‘noble’ houses.

The initial invasion of Triffids are from the younger nobles.

Most of the lore for the triffids is up in the air as no dev has gotten to them yet, but the general style for them is believed to be medieval.

*reserved for minor factions.

The lore above is what I kinda gathered from various posts, if it is incorrect I’ll fix it.

I’m pretty sure that the blobs inside of humans are very much active, just not doing anything and just sorta going along for the ride. The relationship between blob and host is very symbiotic and carries a lot of benefits for both parties involved. However, as soon as the blob has control, it stops being useful for everyone else around them.

I sort of hesitate to call them a parasite, considering that no one actually suffers from their (direct) influence. I mean zombies suck but those aren’t people and there’s no host being negatively impacted; it’s more like its own unique animal now.

Can we even call blobs a parasite?

Oh, also Mi-go are supposed to be slavers and about as close to us humans as any of the other races in terms of technology and mindsets, and also one of the biggest minor factions. Probably one of our best bets; the big 3 really don’t have time for us and are either going to pave us over or manipulate us to suit their needs, which will mean complete and utter loss of willpower (see Mycus and blobs).

it noticeable that blob is in simbiosis with living host
look at big ants and other insects, they are so big because of blob
alslo mutagens work because blob reacts to some chemicals and radiation causing mutations what are more or less usefull its why labs started working on mutations few days before cataclysm

so blob is not a prasite they just take over control of host body if host die

I don’t really see the mycus utilizing purifier at all, seeing as they themselves consider it a “contaminant”, and given it’s just as incompatible with their biology as the mutagen is, they’d likely just destroy anything that is blob-related and just assimilating what’s left, like how you have the fungal zombies and such.

Also I think comparing them to succubi/incubi is kind of a gross oversimplification, they’re not trying to seduce humans, they just happen to be very pragmatic in their spreading and developed things that allow them to better incorporate lifeforms with the capacity for extensive tool use and a wide spread across the planet, which also happens to be one of their largest direct threats, given they have access to fire.

[quote=“Zaylin, post:6, topic:9538”]I don’t really see the mycus utilizing purifier at all, seeing as they themselves consider it a “contaminant”, and given it’s just as incompatible with their biology as the mutagen is, they’d likely just destroy anything that is blob-related and just assimilating what’s left, like how you have the fungal zombies and such.

Also I think comparing them to succubi/incubi is kind of a gross oversimplification, they’re not trying to seduce humans, they just happen to be very pragmatic in their spreading and developed things that allow them to better incorporate lifeforms with the capacity for extensive tool use and a wide spread across the planet, which also happens to be one of their largest direct threats, given they have access to fire.[/quote]
Correct me if I’m wrong, but purifier just resets you to the baseline state, while PE062 eliminates the blob entirly-as far as I know they are two different substances-purifier isn’t that hard to make.

As far as succubi/incubi- the marloss berry is very seductive-high morale boost, doesn’t go bad, and fills you completely, and then you get hooked on the foods the Mycus provides and can’t live without it.

For me, blob in zombie bodies doesn’t exist. In my opinion blob mutagen, was used to work on the mutation some sort bacteria as a biological weapon by govt. scientists.

There are some things which confirms this theory. The infection is not resistant to basic human medicines (vitamins, herbal medicines, antibiotics, disinfectants), very fast spread (an unusual thing for parasites, even in very favorable conditions), and zombies do not show any “collective” and “long-term” activity as rest “big three”.

[quote=“Uweron, post:8, topic:9538”]For me, blob in zombie bodies doesn’t exist. In my opinion blob mutagen, was used to work on the mutation some sort bacteria as a biological weapon by govt. scientists.

There are some things which confirms this theory. The infection is not resistant to basic human medicines (vitamins, herbal medicines, antibiotics, disinfectants), very fast spread (an unusual thing for parasites, even in very favorable conditions), and zombies do not show any “collective” and “long-term” activity as rest “big three”.[/quote]

The blob is within zombies thats a fact. I do not know which infection your talking about but the zombification has nothing to do with a virus. It is NOT an infection in that sense. And you do NOT get infected by a zomby virus from zomby bites.

[quote=“Uweron, post:8, topic:9538”]For me, blob in zombie bodies doesn’t exist. In my opinion blob mutagen, was used to work on the mutation some sort bacteria as a biological weapon by govt. scientists.

There are some things which confirms this theory. The infection is not resistant to basic human medicines (vitamins, herbal medicines, antibiotics, disinfectants), very fast spread (an unusual thing for parasites, even in very favorable conditions), and zombies do not show any “collective” and “long-term” activity as rest “big three”.[/quote]
Zombies won’t infect you with blob, they infect you with the bacteria that are already present on their (decaying/rotting) bodies. Did you ever get bitten/scratched from a dirty source and it started swelling and oozing? That is the same as the zombie bite, it is simply a infection from bacteria.

Now why the zombies aren’t showing “collective” and “long-term” activity: The blob doesn’t care. It focused on getting into our plane, started spreading and that’s it. It will only react if something “interresting” happens, as long as that doesn’t happen it focuses onto something else. It is a Macro player, it doesn’t give a damn about how long it takes, how many hosts die etc. as long as there is no change that requires its attention.
(I have spread into this plane and started infecting, ok that is good for now, it will resolve itself and I can do something else in the meantime)

So what’s going on in the rest of the world while this is happening? These portal facilities seem to have been cutting edge science, they couldn’t have existed in every country. What’s happening in South America and Europe and Africa and so forth?

What about creatures like the krek and blank bodies. ESPECIALLY the blank bodies that you find in churches. Leads me to believe something sinister is happening in less inconspicuous organizations.

Note: The Mycus only hates the blob when they interact inside of a host in sort of a “you’re poaching my mark!” type of way. Outside of hosts they tend to be fairly chill about each other, though they still will fight over who gets what land/resources in the long run.

On the other hand Triffids and the Mycus have a sort of grudge match showdown with each other. It’s why, for example, the Mycus adrenaline rush equivalent mutation causes the duration to extend if you see Triffids, because they do not get along… like at all.

Krek I’ve always seen as sort of a wild creature/subhuman slave to the Mi-go personally. They definitely aren’t very intelligence, though they have a little bit more intelligence than say a dog. Blank bodies are one of those creepy things that could go either way. They could be part of the horrors that have been here for forever (like the amigara horrors), something from the Nether, or something of both. I’d probably align them most with the sort of “Cultist” group; i.e. they are there to be spooky and creepy and are probably created from some sort of unholy crossbreeding of Nether, Horror, and Human (similar to something like the flesh angels).

Nobody really knows. It is assumed that we took out enough of the “walls” that portals are starting to show up everywhere at least a little, though the majority are focused here (and possibly in any other countries that were experimenting with portal technology). Beyond that nobody really knows.

Nobody really knows. It is assumed that we took out enough of the “walls” that portals are starting to show up everywhere at least a little, though the majority are focused here (and possibly in any other countries that were experimenting with portal technology). Beyond that nobody really knows.[/quote]

Cataclysm happen during second cold war? right? pepole fear another war, countries race who get more weapons and develop more new technologies, everybody is spying on everybody. maybe enemies of unitet states had spies what managed to steal something about portal technology (or us stealed this technology from china, who knows?) so its possible that enemies in asia and more rich friends from europe have acces to portal technology

OR it’s Another 48 Hours Later again meaning rest of the world is ok barring the imminent nuclear armageddon.
For your survivor it really doesn’t matter, since he really never gets anywhere no matter how far he travels.
Maybe it’s all a dream or VR-trip gone bad?

Maybe it’s all some person playing a video game???

Maybe it’s all some person playing a video game???[/quote]
Maybe its happening in you blender when you mix too many weird stuff in it.

Maybe its happening in you blender when you mix too many weird stuff in it.[/quote]

Maybe it all just 42

Maybe its happening in you blender when you mix too many weird stuff in it.[/quote]

Maybe it all just 42[/quote]
I don’t understand that.

Maybe it all just 42[/quote]
I don’t understand that.[/quote]
Hitch-hikers Guide to the cataclysm galaxy