Long Fingernails and Fingerless Handwear

Hello there, my name is Karla! I’m a total newbie to this whole thing, but I’m slowly figuring things out.

Presently, I’m playing as a mutant with claws and fangs and talons and such, but I’ve come across something that isn’t exactly explained well. The ‘Long Fingernails’ mutation says it adds cutting damage to your unarmed hits if you aren’t wearing gloves. Now here’s the thing, is that -ALL- gloves? All handwear? Do I lose the bonus damage if I’m just wearing hand-wraps? Fingerless Gloves? Leather Armor Gauntlets (Which also state they’re fingerless in the description)?

If so, I feel that’s a bit of an oversight, as it really makes no sense at all. And I imagine fixing it would be as easy as adding a ‘Fingerless’ flag and making claw-type effects like Long Fingernails and Razor Fingers work with handwear that has that flag.

If not, then all is well, and it just wasn’t clear enough for me to really feel comfortable assuming either way.

I would assume that since the Razor Boy start gives you fingertip razors and starts you with fingerless gloves, these work together but I haven’t looked under the hood to tell you for sure.

One of many things that need fixed. Lotsa stuff and not enough time. >_<

That’s good to hear! Thanks for clarifying!

So, for now, I must assume that all handwear prevents me from using claws, got it.

On a similar note, is it planned for things like toe-talons, fangs, or the like to allow butchering? It doesn’t seem like it makes a lot of sense for a mutant with claws, fangs, and talons to be completely incapable of eating from a corpse without first finding a knife. She’s got built-in knives on every limb!

[quote=“KarolineDianne, post:4, topic:8372”]That’s good to hear! Thanks for clarifying!

So, for now, I must assume that all handwear prevents me from using claws, got it.

On a similar note, is it planned for things like toe-talons, fangs, or the like to allow butchering? It doesn’t seem like it makes a lot of sense for a mutant with claws, fangs, and talons to be completely incapable of eating from a corpse without first finding a knife. She’s got built-in knives on every limb![/quote]

Ideally you’d be able to just use your teeth and eat it directly. Claws and such can probably be given butchering though, yeah.

I almost reported this as spam.

Anyway, welcome to the forums! where the wiki is not up to date and the players don’t matter!

Don’t feed the ninjas.

I could see some of the full-blown claw mutations giving some butchering. Maybe nothing finessful given claws wouldn’t be my first choice for salvaging intact pelts. Maybe making fingerless hand-wear tags is something for the ‘simple suggestions’ thread?

Butchering with claws has been brought up in the past, and if anything I’d personally say no on that. Claws aren’t exactly precise ‘blades’ nowhere near as useful as a knife, even a stone one.

Could have negative quality, like glass shiv.

Precise or not, it doesn’t make sense that a mutant with claws/talons/fangs/etc is utterly incapable of eating from a corpse without having a knife on hand. So there either needs to be a way to eat from a corpse directly, without butchering it, or those mutations need to provide some minor butchering ability.

In any case, my original question has been answered: Fingerless handwear being compatible with claws is in the works, but not currently implemented. Feel free to lock the thread, or whatever the mods do when an issue has been resolved! :smiley:

I also almost reported you as spam. Sorry, we’ve had a lot of spambots lately and your username sort of resembled a spambot name. But it’s all good! What tipped me off is that you haven’t filled in all your contact info. But anyways, welcome to the forums!