Lock items out of crafting

Situation: your main butchering tool is a combat knife, you’re stood next to a pile of scrap metal and you’re crafting a bunch of spikes. You hit the repeat crafting key knowing that it will prompt you whether you want to use the scrap metal or the knife, until you run out of scrap metal and then you accidentally turn your favourite butchering tool into a spike.

I’m sure we’ve all used the wrong stuff in a crafting recipe before, so wouldn’t it be nice if we could flag things as not available for crafting in our inventory? A bit less carelessness would probably avoid the situation, but it would be nice to have a meidiot-proof method of keeping hold of that precious, cannot lose item.

Seconded.

I am thirding this idea. Happpens way too often.

An implementation that I enjoyed from a few other roguelikes would probably be item flagging, allowing you to assign your rock to the same key every time you pick it up, and preventing you from throwing your dagger

inventory flags would be nice, but that would probably involve more pain

I don’t think it’d be too hard. A simply flag that makes it so it doesn’t get used in crafting.

Except, of course, that it wouldn’t work at all, since you often do, in fact, want to use it in crafting.

Your knife is a primary ingredient in a knife spear.

Your sword is a primary ingredient in a flamingsword.

etc. and so on.

It’s pretty much unworkable.

But having the ability to flag would make sure that you don’t ACCIDENTALLY craft any of those things… did you read the first post, Glyph?

Pretty sure they mean lock it out of being used as a component, which we want to use for vehicle-component-tools anyway.

Having said that though, “save me from myself” features are pretty far down on my list of priorities.
(I’m probably just irritated by the double-confirm suicide prompt, I make and suicide like 30 characters an hour when debugging.)

I misunderstood what was meant, it thought this meant flagging item types as not available for crafting from the inventory, not manually flagging them. My bad - in that case, this isn’t a bad idea at all, but yeah - it’s low priority.

I simply meant a flag saying this item should not be consumed by crafting. :stuck_out_tongue:

How about a check to see if the item has been marked/carved/written upon?

If so, then refuse to consume it while crafting.

It would make magic markers slightly more valuable as a side benefit.

[quote=“Rivet, post:11, topic:3815”]How about a check to see if the item has been marked/carved/written upon?

It would make magic markers slightly more valuable as a side benefit.[/quote]

I support this idea

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:12, topic:3815”][quote=“Rivet, post:11, topic:3815”]How about a check to see if the item has been marked/carved/written upon?

I support this idea[/quote]
This.

[quote=“Rivet, post:11, topic:3815”]How about a check to see if the item has been marked/carved/written upon?

I’d really like this feature. It’d be a useful addition to the label/carving system if we could use it to tag objects, and if I could tag my combat knife as uncraftable that’d make my life a lot easier. Plus it’d pave the way for other item tags, which could be pretty handy in the future, imo.

I like Rivet’s proposal too. Roguelikes should be “cruel” - it should have plenty of deaths which can be triggered by human-error, but not obscure and unavoidable deaths, it’s just bad design. Accidental crafting does not equal death but you get the idea, more accidents and you will be in trouble.
Also, if we go for the compromise or “middle solution” , maybe not outright refusing to use a marked/carved items but notice the player that he is about the use a marked item, this acts similar to a flag proposed above.

And as I mentioned, this could be interpreted to mean wildly different things. :wink:

I’m not sure I like the idea of ALL marked items being useless for crafting forever, or requiring you to be able to mark the weapon before rendering it unavailable. I’m at least not super opposed to the second.

I’m strongly opposed to having carving on the item trigger this (or anything for that matter). The `bands take this concept to the logical, awful conclusion and have a gnarly, hard to use, and overcomplicated mess of a system as a result.

If we do it it’s just as easy to have it be a specific flag, and have a little UI to toggle it.

I’m OK with this being low priority, just nice to know it has support and is on the “would be nice” list :wink:

How could it mean different things? You toggle a flag on an item, the crafting system won’t eat it. Done. How is that confusing?
In real life this would be a common sense check, but in game it’s a matter of UI. Do I use the knife that I use every day to make a spike or do I stop when I run out of scrap?

[quote=“Miloch, post:19, topic:3815”]How could it mean different things? You toggle a flag on an item, the crafting system won’t eat it. Done. How is that confusing?
In real life this would be a common sense check, but in game it’s a matter of UI. Do I use the knife that I use every day to make a spike or do I stop when I run out of scrap?[/quote]

Again, I thought the thing being suggested was a flag on the item via it’s type. Which is the way all the other flags on everything else in the game are attached to things. Which would obviously be a bad idea here, and was what I thought the suggestion was referring to when you said “a simple flag that makes it so it doesn’t get used in crafting.”

I’m actually even having trouble following the chain of thought in your post above, though. So, uh… yeah.