Limited world size?

I feel as if the option for a limited world size would increase the importance of what is within said world, and would also make much more sense for containing a story, NPC bubbles, population limits, ect.

Obviously the surrounds would be ocean.
To me I think this would solidify the player, monster’s and NPC’s impact on the world, as it’s slowly worn down, even create supply and demand for quests in future?

Make the world itself show a story better?

2 Likes

I had very similar thoughts.

Current world is endless so everything that happens in it seems inconsequential. There’s a limitless sea of loot and zombies out there, so nothing really matters. You can burn entire cities down without giving it much thought. There’s always the next one.

A closed world is a perfect solution to many problems of the game. If the world is limited and the mycus or triffids will eventually cover everything unless the player stops them… Well we’ve got ourselves an endgame people, finally!!! This is perfect.

This also makes playing new characters on the same world more rewarding.

This would also somehow justify my pathological hoarding.

I fully support this.

This should be pretty simple, if you want to try it, edit these files: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/blob/master/src/overmapbuffer.cpp https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/blob/master/src/overmapbuffer.h

For each method that accepts coordinates, apply a modulus to the coordinates so that they always fall within the desired range.

This will result in a N-S / E-W loop, if you walk in a cardinal direction far enough you will loop around to your origin.

2 Likes

I really like the island idea. It would also create a use for water vehicles, since they’d become an efficient way of exploring and then traveling around the island.

As an idea, what about using a few map specials that are just a giant irregular area of Deep Water, seeding them with a high probability of spawning, and banning them from spawning within a certain distance of where the game starts?

Fish mutations could end up being useful!

I really like this idea, has anyone tried it?

Could it be a mod if it is changing .h and .ccp files? Would it be easier having a mod add an impassible barrier around a city.

It is just adding to every function that has ( int x, int y )
x = x%1000
y = y%1000

Would you have to apply something to get_existing( om_pos.x, om_pos.y )

Well, worked out a ghetto way to set a world boarder.

Each overmap is 179x179. So starting one tile out from the first overmap (NW diagonal from coordinate 0,0,0) you would have to create barrier tiles 182 long on every side.

Start new world with character, activate debug menu, go to overmap editor and move cursor to 0, -1’179, -1’179 (NW diagonal from coordinate 0,0,0). Then you can run this autohotkey script and do something else for 10 minutes.

Top wall complete:

Loop, 182
{
Sleep, 100
Send, {t}
Sleep, 100
Send, {/}
Sleep, 100
Send, {r}
Sleep, 100
Send, {i}
Sleep, 100
Send, {f}
Sleep, 100
Send, {t}
Sleep, 100
Send, {Enter}
Sleep, 100
Send, {Enter}
Sleep, 100
Send, {Enter}
Sleep, 200
Send, {Right}
}
Loop, 182
{
Sleep, 100
Send, {t}
Sleep, 100
Send, {/}
Sleep, 100
Send, {r}
Sleep, 100
Send, {i}
Sleep, 100
Send, {f}
Sleep, 100
Send, {t}
Sleep, 100
Send, {Enter}
Sleep, 100
Send, {Enter}
Sleep, 100
Send, {Enter}
Sleep, 200
Send, {Down}
}
Loop, 182
{
Sleep, 100
Send, {t}
Sleep, 100
Send, {/}
Sleep, 100
Send, {r}
Sleep, 100
Send, {i}
Sleep, 100
Send, {f}
Sleep, 100
Send, {t}
Sleep, 100
Send, {Enter}
Sleep, 100
Send, {Enter}
Sleep, 100
Send, {Enter}
Sleep, 200
Send, {Left}
}
Loop, 182
{
Sleep, 100
Send, {t}
Sleep, 100
Send, {/}
Sleep, 100
Send, {r}
Sleep, 100
Send, {i}
Sleep, 100
Send, {f}
Sleep, 100
Send, {t}
Sleep, 100
Send, {Enter}
Sleep, 100
Send, {Enter}
Sleep, 100
Send, {Enter}
Sleep, 200
Send, {Up}
}

I definitely think that this would solve a lot of world scale issues regarding especially calculating NPC world bubbles, ect.

Have world size options, tiny, small, medium, large.
CPU and RAM is an issue? create a smaller world!
Allow NPCs to exist and thrive regardless of where the player is!
Of course once again, not limiting the reality bubble to around the player only should be optional.

The game would benefit a lot from this, the wear and tear you and NPCs inflict upon the world would mean something, faction territories would be more easily definable, fungal/blob invasions would mean more.

Kevin’s loop suggestion would definitely improve the game, ideally island generation but that would take more time and effort.

It’d be cool if the creator (can’t remember his name) would add various world types, such as:
-The classic endless
-Continent (mostly one large landmass)
-Archipelago (adds the annoyance of a crap ton of tiny islands)
-Small continents (previous continent type, but with slightly smaller places and more of them)
-Fungus amungus (The player has survived a coma-like state, and wakes up to a world of evil plants/mushrooms)
-River (continent with far more of rivers)
-Boxed in (The map is VERY small, leading to less cities/smaller ones. Zombies and many other things are of course less, but due to the lack of many tiles they are easily gonna notice you. This mode would by far be the hardest, especially with ‘wandering zombies’ on.)
-Dead world (Continent with zombie numbers have greatly increased, radiation has grown stronger and farther, plant enemies’ territory starts larger, buildings are eroded with less loot, forests are less common. It’s with the idea of 99.99% of people are dead by now.)

1 Like

I’m not interested in implementing features that only work if the world is tiny, so no, this wouldn’t help accelerate development.

The world would be large but would be composed of islands or different biomes.

So the starting overmap would be standard and get to another one you would have to cross a ocean biome overmap, or radiation zones, or heavy fungus area etc…

So different overmap rules for each overmap simulating different biomes.

That has literally nothing to do with the “limited world size” topic, you should make a new topic if you want to discuss that.

What if you just make a mod that creates a severe radiation barrier at the edge of the map to deter players from trying to leave like the glowing sea in fallout 4 but at all 4 edges.

There are a lot of options for making this happen, but what hasn’t been answered is why it makes the game better. You can exhaust all the resources and have to fall back on farming or whatever instead of scavenging, and that’s good because?

Because it makes those resources meaningful, by making them eventually run out. I’ve never farmed for biodiesel, for example, because I know I can just get more by travelling a bit.

Edited to add more examples: I’ll also never reload ammunition, because I could, quite literally, fill a small swimming pool with all of the factory loaded rounds I’ve scavenged. And scarcity may actually make me use diesel and reloaded ammo, because things like solar panels and factory loads’ll be ever dwindling resources, to be used only when they are absolutely needed.
It’d also make me hoard chocolate bars.

Well, more than I already do.

It sounds like the problem is the ratio of gear to zombies, if you limit map size, it very much sounds like you’re just going to kill all the zombies before running out of ammo/tools/gasoline/food/etc, then have nothing left to do.

Aren’t you going to get the effect you wasnt from reducing one or more of:
City size
City spacing (increase this one of course)
Item spawn rate
And/or eschew vehicles (especially as a weapon
And/or increase zombie spawn rate

That doesn’t add scarcity, it merely increases travel time. Or murder time. And I don’t think removing systems (or refusing to use) systems is a valid option.

Edit: Unrelated, but can we get an option to mute the game on focus loss?

Some bugs, but should be playable:

It is useful for a challenge map scenario. 4X strategy games don’t normally generate unlimited planets, the limited nature of the space drives conflict.

The gameplay becomes, ‘with these limited resources can I defeat this map? Every unit of gas on driving is gas I can’t use to burn things.’ I modified the overmap special spawn rates to get science labs, ant hills, bee hives, triffid groves, and fungal towers all in the same overmap mega city. The threat of hordes increase as the distances between areas decrease.

In terms of what I said, it’s largely for the expert guys who play the game. Or you simply want a different kind of game play. And something to think about, is that ‘radiation barrier’ could have zombies spawn from it, and work like the wander-spawn thingy, so they will always be something to worry about. I’ve seen it done before, where the enemies simply spawn off-screen, and that often works quite well. There could also be an ‘item respawn’ option if you want, which respawns gear and stuff, but at a VERY slow and much smaller amount as before.

With all that, you’d need to think about the eventual lack of resources, zombies will ALWAYS be a consideration, and while you will need to be at least somewhat self-sufficient, you could still think about looting the towns (which might also have respawning zombies too)
I don’t know how much I’d do this, and it’d need a considerable amount of balancing and work, but if nothing else a mod adding this would be useful. Even more so if it’s one of the standard ones in the game.