Let's talk about what's on the other side of those gates

Random example of loot that would get me into a portal: A magical doodad good for one long-range teleport.

I’d do it just for the hell of it, loot is a bonus.

How would we do vehicles? Difficult to craft ‘air-tight’ parts? How do we get the vehicle through the portal? I think I’ve suggested this before: Stick the extra dimension on the top few layers of the map - nobody will notice and it’ll make a lot of things easier.

Vacuum-air-tight is pretty much out, maybe except some uncraftable vehicles that stop being such after you tinker with them more than just a tiny bit.
For weird atmosphere at good pressure, it would be doable, as long as you don’t mind extra weight slowing you down (possibly being countered by gravity weirdness).

Getting them through portal would probably require variable size portals, or more likely an area teleport as opposed to portal you drive through.

I think I've suggested this before: Stick the extra dimension on the top few layers of the map - nobody will notice and it'll make a lot of things easier.

Huge “NO” here. This would instantly fling us into an age of wonkery, where monsters, items and vehicles would randomly fall from the sky, coordinate system reports NPCs walking over the sky and skyscrappers have their roofs in the alien dimensions.
Sky IS the limit.

Honestly i’d skip the airtight vehicles and add space suits so then you’d be able to get out and loot

Alright then, never mind.

small change to flame idea
put it at z-level -100
no one will get here by mining (do nukes can be sent on other z-levels?)

It wouldn’t be hard to teleport the player to a completely separate overmap that has infinite mapgen just like the current overmap, but follows different rules, we don’t need to limit ourselves to one or a few alternate dimensions.

1 Like

I would love something like the Painted World of Dark Souls.

Mostly as an excuse to make map gen layouts that are still relatively normal, but would make absolutely no sense in the real world ( giant castles, ruined cities, an infinite library full of gibberish, you get the idea).

I bet we could also think of a lot of freakish things to stuff those places with.

1 Like

Just give freeman a crowbar and send him in the portal see what happens

The portal must be large enough to drive your space tank in. Its the only hope! And it better be a big green solar one hope we got light!!! Bring all the supplies!

You better have everything to thrive, resources are ???
\Its a suicide mission but you can be damn sure to have some fun.

Its ok if its a small portal, Ill have to rebuild on the other side. Just thrust that heavy duty 1 tile Long cycle jamed packed with all the canned goods and LOOT.

Even bring some friends perhaps, this things gunna take a while to rebuild.

Point is if I can Put loot in it, Imma use the Loot.

Heck… Pile Crap on the otherside till ya got a mass of LOOT and create ya own space station…?