Let's talk about what's on the other side of those gates

there’s no convection, but water vapor evaporates due to the pressure difference, which causes cooling.

Hmm. Pressure might have that effect, though I’m not sure how pronounced it’d be.

Well, more than just you is coming through the portal, right? Why couldn’t there be at least a little air? Vacuum labs, anyone?

That has hilariously terrifying potential. Though that means either there’d be a steadily influx of air draining from the planet, or the portal only creates a physical presence under the right conditions.

You open the steel door.
From the north you hear WHOOOSH!!
The air is being sucked away!
You cannot breathe!

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:42, topic:11213”]Hmm. Pressure might have that effect, though I’m not sure how pronounced it’d be.[/quote]it’s indirect - lowered pressure lowers the boiling point of water, so think of it as being similar to sweating, but more intense, and from any exposed body part that contains water. it’s probably why the eye froze over in that farscape example - mouth, eyes, lungs are all vulnerable.

of course, the whole ‘no oxygen to the brain or potential stroke/heart attack from blocked arteries’ thing is much more dangerous

[quote=“TheFlame52, post:45, topic:11213”]You open the steel door.
You cannot breathe![/quote]
Pain 300 Stm /…

Your ears hurt!
Your ears hurt!
Your eardrum bursts! x2
Your breath is sucked from your lungs!

Moral of the story: don’t drink from the chalice.

Yeah, okay, vacuums are deadly. But what about crafting special protection/vehicles? I can make a laser cannon out of scrap bits, I can do a perfect weld 237% of the time, I can sure as hell make a temporary exploration vehicle. With guns.

Or hell, I’d bet Marloss Man could tank a vacuum. :V

yeah! as long as nothing attacks it. that’s why it strikes me as a very good endgame challenge.

I don’t have to get it into orbit. I can quantum tunnel. It’s going to be a foot-thick steel box with tank treads. And enough guns to outfit a platoon.

I love the idea of the portals bringing the entire multiverse to our front door. The lore will probably end up having even the elves and other races that someone is working on end up coming here via portals or some sort of temporary wormhole anomalys created by all this portal shenanigans happening in such close proximity (Earth) [overlapping ripple effects] It will be fun to see magic and weird effects crop up in these areas and camps of Orcs and Elves on the horizon when that mod is on, adding old school “familiarity” fantasy to the unique brand of Cata mayhem monsters.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:3, topic:11213”]Space suit or power armor, plus O2 tanks and such, either that or a sealed and pressurized vehicle.
“Doesn’t have to breathe” is a pretty OP mutation, even for dda.[/quote]
Nobody actually reads threads, do they? :p. This is from page 1.

Hmm. It’s like nobody reads anymore what people type.
…8D

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:54, topic:11213”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:3, topic:11213”]Space suit or power armor, plus O2 tanks and such, either that or a sealed and pressurized vehicle.
“Doesn’t have to breathe” is a pretty OP mutation, even for dda.[/quote]
Nobody actually reads threads, do they? :p. This is from page 1.[/quote]weird, almost as if it spawned a discussion about what happens if you try it without those things

[quote=“karlnp, post:47, topic:11213”][quote=“TheFlame52, post:45, topic:11213”]You open the steel door.
You cannot breathe![/quote]
Pain 300 Stm /…

Your ears hurt!
Your ears hurt!
Your eardrum bursts! x2
Your breath is sucked from your lungs![/quote]
sounds like typical ss13 round, just replace steel door with emergency shutter and your flying crowbar (and sometimes jaintor cart) attack you commonly gibbing you

Your makeshift welder flies past you as you narrowly avoid it!
Your skill in dodging has increased to 4!

So basically we’re going to need one of the following:

[ul][li]Power Armor[/li]
[li]Rivtech P.Armor[/li]
[li]Airtight Vehicle[/li]
[li]Space Suit[/li][/ul]

That pretty much covers it yea, there are probably some makeshift things you can do like a rebreather and tanks to make the damage from the environment slow down so you can do short exploratory jaunts.