Let's talk about what's on the other side of those gates

Even an airless area would not necessarally be an instakill, you might step into the portal and be met with the message, “as you step through the portal, you realize you can’t breathe, if you stay here you’ll die”, then take some high amount of damage per turn, but you’d generally be able to take just one step back through the portal and survivr, it’s only protracted stays that would be fatal.

Seems sensible I guess. Also, repeated abuse of that ability to step back into normal space could be penalized by inflicting teleglow, as with repeated use of a teleporter.

Let’s say the portals lead to the center of an alien building, a portal room. The building interior has a breathable but painful and unhealthy atmosphere, that slowly eats away the player’s HP, damages immune system, causes fatigue, exhaustion, dehydration, possibly negative mutations… a glorious bundle of medical problems. Portable O2 tanks/generators would be required for any longterm visit. The building exterior, on the other hand, would be COMPLETELY hostile. Death would come within a minute of exposure. But… I guess the challenge then would be to keep the atmospheres separated. It could be managed with forced airlock rooms, I guess? But should the walls then be indestructable… Hmm.

I do suggest that the initial atmosphere should be breathable survivable, at least for a little while. I feel it’d be too harsh if it would kill you immediately.

Should we discuss about the possibility of sending in a remote-controlled or pre-programmed exploration drone first?

[SPOILER ALERT!]
for portals maybe we can use human created one in ice lab finale (where you can open portal or create resonance cascade) this alien thing do not look like something safe to use as portal

[SPOILER END!]

i think that other worlds can be a bit random but accesing some worlds will be more like suicide but some maybe will have something what will be usefull for player

triffid worlds probaly are great forests, good source of exotic fruits and wildlife but full of triffids, not much threat unless atmosphere is unbreathable (or if breathable it can have some sideeffects too like halucination spores)

fungus probaly have wastelands fillded with fungaloids and local wildlife asimilated by them (maybe hostille?) and maybe ruins of other civilization, largest threat is high (spores cause green house effect) temperature or low temperature (spores block heat and it do not reach surface of planet) other threats are hard to breatch air (spores) what need some air filtration to work or unbreatchable atmosphere

blob? i have no idea, they adapt to evoriment around them and infect local creatures

nether is probaly place where acid is something common, rivers of acid, acid rains, corrosive air…

I imagine the blob world would just be blob. An endless sea of it.

Oh that would be funny to see.

i always think of it as the world from Solaris. and i’m working on a nether-based endgame mod, but i’d definitely encourage other people to take a whack at it because i’m flaky as hell

Too bad you can’t mix post-thresh mutation lines, a mix of Rat (for eating blob globs) and Elf-a (for sleeplessness) would be able to take on the blob world forever. And maybe win.

Madness. Imagine that little “size 15 spawn command” escapade, except the size of the entire map.

I could handle it as long as I could take breaks to sleep and get supplies. If I can get an AI for the Solar Roller we can tag-team it.

Now I’m tempted to suggest that enough intensity of the Slimed effect starts causing acid damage. :V

Sadly, tireless doesn’t actually completely remove the need for sleep.

Why isn’t there a bionic that works like Metabolic Interchange, but in reverse? For brains-in-jars? And maybe some more bionics like that?

Solid. =D

Though a hard vacuum is still bad for you. Mostly because if you hold your breath, enjoy ruptured lungs.

That and the fact you could kinda freeze/burn at the same time. But still not instantly.

Best show of this in action(fiction) Farscape, as John jumps out the airlock and his eyes freeze over and he looks like hes going to “pop” after 50 or so seconds of agony.

…you do realize how slowly heat is lost when there’s no air for convection or conduction, right? You actually freeze VERY slowly, only via radiation. And if you’re getting starlight you might be heating up instead.

the pressure differential is dangerous enough - pulmonary edema, hypoxia, bubbles in the blood, ice in the respiratory system/bloodstream… you might survive for 90 seconds or whatever, but you’re going to pass out in roughly ten.

…I’m going to eat the next person that thinks that there’s convection in space.

Actually I was thinking of the vaccuum of space. Just not having any air to breathe…yeah, my oops on that point hehe^_^