Latest experimental features

WHHAAAATTTTTT[/quote]
I believe this just got fixed, as a part of the latest experimental build (#3998).

Moving to [A]ll in AIM should no longer change the area to the selected one but keep it at All.

Unloading changed: instead of unloading held item it will always ask for items. Now it also allows unloading from adjacent tiles.

Extinguishers can be disassembled now. You need pliers/wrench for that. The result is metal tanks and some scrap/plastic.

There’s a new zombie which is the first mob to use a new flag that was introduced in one of the latest experimental versions.

[spoiler=Actual Spoiler]The new Shady Zombie can apparently “turn invisible” in low-light conditions. I haven’t encountered one yet but I’m curious as to how the “hidden in low-light conditions” mechanic will work. Will the zombie get spotted when it attacks or when it’s adjacent to you, or will it stay hidden causing panic and havoc, making survivors swing and shoot at the air around them blindly? Very interesting indeed.

This flag should be used on more monsters, like Predator Zombies. Heck, I bet you could add it to natural creatures too, like cougars; imagine walking around at night only using your night-vision so you don’t attract attention when suddenly something leaps at you from the dark. You don’t know what it is or WHERE it is, but you have to do something and fast.[/spoiler]

[quote=“KliPeH, post:963, topic:5582”]There’s a new zombie which is the first mob to use a new flag that was introduced in one of the latest experimental versions.

[spoiler=Actual Spoiler]The new Shady Zombie can apparently “turn invisible” in low-light conditions. I haven’t encountered one yet but I’m curious as to how the “hidden in low-light conditions” mechanic will work. Will the zombie get spotted when it attacks or when it’s adjacent to you, or will it stay hidden causing panic and havoc, making survivors swing and shoot at the air around them blindly? Very interesting indeed.

This flag should be used on more monsters, like Predator Zombies. Heck, I bet you could add it to natural creatures too, like cougars; imagine walking around at night only using your night-vision so you don’t attract attention when suddenly something leaps at you from the dark. You don’t know what it is or WHERE it is, but you have to do something and fast.[/spoiler][/quote]

The current implementation has a bit of a glitch if you have night vision. Non-NV players will be able to ‘hear’ the zombie approach via the usual ‘audible’ footprints in the darkness mechanic. NV users will get no warning at all, cause the square isn’t dark. Something was mentioned about giving them the “parrot” flag or something similar so they’ll make some spooky noises as they approach, giving you a shot to turn on your flashlight before they eat you. I’d be ok with that if they did something stealthy like “…” or “br…s.”, so theres a good chance you won’t notice it. They are supposed to be stealthy after all. GLHF :wink:

illi-kun’s boot rebalance is in. Mostly nerfs to “civilian” boots.

GRUE ZOMBIE! AUGH!

New repair mechanics are in.
Instead of manually repeating the repair command, you will be asked how long to repeat the repair attempts.
Balancing isn’t perfect yet - expect to waste way more resources than before.
Doesn’t work with vehicle-mounted welders yet (will bug out).

Splints will now cover only one limb rather than both of them. Make sure they cover the broken limb!

Damn u lot

Updates on chrimbo day :open_mouth: thank you so much to all who contribute realy appriciate it.

Hope u all had a fantastic chrimbo

Merged by Rived, written by me:

[ul][li]New healing item code. Healing item variants can be now written with jsons alone.[/li]
[li]Uncrafting now has more requirements. They were always there, just not respected.[/li]
[li]If you can’t butcher anything on the tile, you will be told what do you need to dismantle first dismantle-able item on the tile. For example, if you kill a riot bot and try to butcher it, you’ll be told you need a soldering iron and a hacksaw.[/li]
[li]Blobs no longer breed indefinitely.[/li]
[li]New heat resistance mechanics. Standing in fire hurts less, fire gear actually protects you from fire (it didn’t before), but standing near big fires will melt your skin off.[/li][/ul]

Reload code is being reworked by mugling. For example, sewing kits no longer transmute sinew into thread.
Also by mugling: more actions allowed for adjacent tiles (not just inventory): heating food, purifying water.

New food/recipes by Cyrano7:
Chocolate covered coffee beans and pretzels
Soylent green

Soylent green is the regular protein powder, except with human flesh not being lost on craft. Meaning you can no longer bypass the cannibalism penalty by producing it from dried human flesh (and no longer lose the bonus if you are a cannibal).

Looking at the latest experimental builds, I could clearly see that something new had happened just based on the size of the files.

Jumping in to a new year? Bah, more like jumping into a new experimental!

I’m exploring Cata again after a half-year or so away. I am impressed by the changes I’ve discovered! Gratitude and 87%-platonic kisses for whoever implemented colorless tiles for areas of dim light, new NPC interactions, and built-in soundpack support, especially. <3

(God, shadow zombies make that dim light terrifying.)

Kevin merged my initial 3D vision PR.
3D vision is unfinished, buggy and slow, but it is 3D vision nonetheless. Requires enabling it in options AND playing on a 3D world. Monsters can see in 3D too (when enabled).

Changes by mugling:
Hand encumbrance now affects wielding times and time taken to unload from a container.
Short barrel mod can now be created by applying hacksaw. Currently only one gun supports this (Remington 870). Changing gun this way is irreversible.

By Rivet:
Corrosive zed nerf. Their spit no longer produces acid puddles, which makes it mostly harmless, but they gain a low-cooldown barf attack in melee. This one does produce puddles.
They also no longer have a powerful melee attack, which they only really used to bring down walls and cars.

By Kevin:
Removed whip stunning
Item highlighting in armor reordering brought back

By John Candlebury:
Huge buff to zombie soldier drops. They will now drop knives, guns (damaged), ammo and (rarely) great medical supplies.
To compensate, they gain armor that nearly rivals player armor.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:972, topic:5582”]Kevin merged my initial 3D vision PR.
3D vision is unfinished, buggy and slow, but it is 3D vision nonetheless. Requires enabling it in options AND playing on a 3D world. Monsters can see in 3D too (when enabled).[/quote]

How can i test this? I’ve enabled this options (z-levels, and debug option) but i don’t see any difference.

[quote=“DevilStar, post:973, topic:5582”][quote=“Coolthulhu, post:972, topic:5582”]Kevin merged my initial 3D vision PR.
3D vision is unfinished, buggy and slow, but it is 3D vision nonetheless. Requires enabling it in options AND playing on a 3D world. Monsters can see in 3D too (when enabled).[/quote]

How can i test this? I’ve enabled this options (z-levels, and debug option) but i don’t see any difference.[/quote]

Until the worlds are made more 3D, you’ll only be able to use this in the 2 Story-Motels, Office Towers, and Missile Silos. Those are all of the current locations where Air-tiles are created.

That, and technically any outdoor area lets you look into the sky tiles that are generated above that. And flying monsters may or may not be able to make use of that airspace.

Also? In z-level mode, the Arcana mod floating temple can bug out, leading to the Archon phasing through the ceiling to attack monsters on the ground.

Core0verload’s screwdrivable parts PR:
Many “small” parts can now be installed/removed with just a screwdriver and many “medium” parts with a wrench.
For a full list of parts, check out https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/14840

evilexecutive’s inferior weapon PR:
Places that would spawn medieval weaponry are now much less likely to do so. Instead they are likely to spawn replicas with worse stats and no way to repair them. Overall there should be more melee weapons spawned, but of much lower quality.
For stats and spawn rates check out https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/14721

My melee combat rebalance PR:
Full list of changes: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/14741
Overall it’s a nerf to cutting and stabbing weapons (with former getting hit harder), a nerf to unarmed, a small nerf to fast weapons, a buff to heavy bashing weapons and a buff to all heavy weapons.

My NPC give command update:

Lets you give NPCs who trust you food and drugs. Drugs include mutagens.
There is no good mechanic of gaining trust yet.

There also were some “behind the scenes” changes that players won’t see:
BevapDin allowed moding existing critters/techniques/martial arts/buffs to only change the relevant stats, not copy the entire entry. https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/14838
mugling is changing the ammo code with the eventual goal of changing reloading to be more “magazine centric” so that, for example, batteries will no longer be an uncountable “pool” of energy, but actual items, each with own charge. https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/14837

All those merged by Kevin.

So, a few samples of the past 3 days of merges…

• To-hit calculations now include wearing contact lenses in the part that looks for glasses, by Marcosblackd.

• Mugling added the ability to stow magazines in ammo pouches of certain sizes, in the same way as holster/sheathing/etc’ing other gear. For added Fun, the reload mechanics can correctly find magazines that are stowed in ammo pouches, demonstrating future potential for sane handling of nested containers.

• Small update to MShock Modded tileset, by me. Cheap budget-steel weapons now have sprites assigned.

• Mugling added a change preventing gun mods from being removed if the weapon is loaded. Mostly due to ammo conversion mods, but it has a realism benefit too.

• Mainlining the halberd from Medieval Stuff mod, by Darkyhard. For added Fun, you can cook with the spike on the end. Axe quality was removed though, I guess level-1 quality was rather pointless anyway.

• Changes to how stamina is affected by carrying more than your weight limit, by Isk1n.

• Night-Pryanik added window frame with bars, for the result of smashing a barred window. Add that to list of things I’ll need to sprite. o3o

• Rivet made it possible to deconstruct the rope and pulley.

• Marcosblackd updated Stats Through Skills mod. Far as I can tell, this likely fixes the glorious exploit of setting stats to the minimum during character gen for 16 free points.

• Changes to barred windows by Night-Pryanik. Smashing barred windows now makes it become an empty barred window instead of skipping straight to window frames, and they can be cut with the acetylene torch.

• Codemime stopped the hilarity of being woken up by your own musical performance because you were playing it in your sleep.

• Coolthulhu added the ability to customize bite attacks for different monsters. Sadky, use of the old bite special attack no longer works. This will become relevant farther down the list.

• Fingerhack made a passive bionic due to its function not relying on activation, by Cyrano7.

• Mugling added glorious ammo pouches.

• Kevin changed the hardcoded effects of fingerhack to consume power. Electrohack items remain magical non-powered gizmos.

• Trying to fire a bow, sling, or similar weapon with no ammo on hand will no longer print a debug message, by Mugling.

• Arcana mod unborked by me, after the bite changes made its use of the old bite special attack error-inducing.

• Shields are now a thing, by me. Amusingly, the actual shields themselves (part 3 of the PR series) was merged right before part 1. So one of those builds will allow you to wear 2 of every kind of shield while wielding a bow. Good luck finding which build. o3o

• By…guess which derpdragon again, a few extra mutant wildlife. Giant rattlesnakes will occasionally show up in the wilderness, a bit tougher and more aggressive than the normal variety. Spider basemwents can occasionally be full of giant cellar spiders instead of black widows. Imagine this ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utzyGgpfh6E ) except it can dodge bullets.

At some point the ability to transfer all the money on cash cards to one card was added, which is amazing. Also we now have shaped explosions - if you set off C4 in a hallway, the explosion will follow the hallway, blowing in doors along the way. Bloody brilliant, lots of fun in labs and vaults.

Rivet just merged a little fix I made I’ve been meaning to do for a while. Now if you shoot at a target and miss, the bullet will keep going out to the max range of the gun, potentially hitting things. This is particularly great if you’re faced with a large horde of zombies and have an automatic weapon on you, in which case pretty much every shot you fire hits something.

mugling has been making amazingly fast progress overhauling how guns and ammo interact, there is now an infrastructure for having distinct gun magazines, and thanks mostly to Rivet and Random_dragon, a large number of guns have been converted to use the new magazine items. This means instead of having funky “extra magazine” gun mods, you’ll just have some number of loaded spare magazines in your inventory for fast reloads, and if you run out of those, you’re going to be in a bit of trouble. The UI for magazines is still a bit rough, but it’s usable.

Reminder, this is in the “announcements” forum for a reason, people want a thread that lists recent changes to the game, the thread can’t do that if it’s cluttered with questions and comments about the features, please ask and comment away elsewhere.