Kit creator

Well, as we all know, we have the professions, the kits at the start of the game. You can make your own kits, but… every update more and more items get added, and it is a bit hard to keep up with all the json codes. It would be really good if we had an ingame creator of them!

It should not be that hard, just to gove the whole item list, and then to make us be able to select what we want to use in a proffession. Same with skills, and addictions. Add name, description, and then code them automatically.

Why, if we can make our own proffessions already? Well, not everyone knows this, and as i said, there are too many things. Also, this creator could create the professions in a new archive that could also be loaded by the game separatedly of the main list. This could make them a lot easier to exchange, share and download in the forums.

I think it is a good idea. Is it hard? I don’t know.

I like it! +1

I’m feeling particularly dense, could you dumb that down for me? x.=.x

I think he means a system that let’s you build a custom profession when you make a character, rather than making one in the jsons and possibly having to shift things around with updates.

I’m not sure about the updates causing problems, but it’d still be really cool to be able to build a profession in-game, though I think balance would be an issue (at least in terms of point costs)

The main issue is balance, procedurally assigning a value to the entire range of items in the game to get a remotely reasonable “score” would be ludicrously difficult, and adding the feature would suggest that it’s a normal way to play the game.
Basically I can’t come up with a way to do it that isn’t game-breaking, the professions file is the best we’ve been able to come up with in that direction.

That said it is remarkably easy to build one in the json files yourself. Just open it up in a text editor and take a look, it’s all fairly straight forwards to understand. Probably the hardest part is finding item ID’s, and that can be easily solved if you just open up all the item jsons in a more advanced editor (such as Notepad++) and then do a “find in all documents” search for the item name.

For items, just give them a set amount if cash, more stat points in, more cash gained. Then you spend cash on items and voila! You have a kit that takes points for the items.

Bam, I just blew your mind!

[quote=“gtaguy, post:7, topic:4814”]For items, just give them a set amount if cash, more stat points in, more cash gained. Then you spend cash on items and voila! You have a kit that takes points for the items.

Bam, I just blew your mind![/quote]

You are awesome.
Stopsignal bows at GtaGuy

[quote=“StopSignal, post:8, topic:4814”][quote=“gtaguy, post:7, topic:4814”]For items, just give them a set amount if cash, more stat points in, more cash gained. Then you spend cash on items and voila! You have a kit that takes points for the items.

Bam, I just blew your mind![/quote]

You are awesome.
Stopsignal bows at GtaGuy[/quote]

Bam! I got the idea since everything has a value it wouldn’t be hard to use that, I was looking at crafting .json and got the idea.

I like the cash suggestion, as all items have their price defined but it’s not used anywhere…

It could be used for this!

Devs! Do this thing, quit fixing bugs or anything. I need dis right now. Also image:

I want to be able to buy some stuff at character creation! Plz devs. Devs plz.

I thought it was a great idea, but nobody likes?

Did not want to commit myself to anything but…Its a great idea. I remember my roommate, who can hardly use computers, sit at his laptop for 8 hours just determined to somehow piece together a custom profession. He finally managed to do something close to what he wanted, but is fairly sure he will never attempt it again. The point made about how new items are so frequent also makes this a great idea.

I am learning Python, and one of my overall goals is to eventually learn C++ and be able to add on to Cataclysm. It seems like it would be fairly easy to create a program using Python that reads the contents of a few select json files to create a sort of catalog of the contents. The program could then allow for any user to quickly add professions to the game, all without having to touch the files yourself. Not sure how it would help spot new items, or even how long it might take me to complete that…but if nobody else gets around to it and I feel its still a good idea then I will try my best.

Seranikan, if you could give a try, you would make a big part of the community happy! TBH, it is not that hard to make a profession, but i am not talking about how hard it is, i am talking about a feature that could be really good to add, and even fun. Who knows what we could do?

Looks like lots of people like it, even if we already know that is easy. It could be an amazing feature, as i said…

What happens, for example, if someone wants to make himself? I see some of you would really like to have a House Coder profession ;D

I would take Lazyass teen.

EDIT: MOdified the post because it had too much typos. I don’t know what is happening to me.

Devs plz.

This is a really good addition using already existing game elements. I could buy grenades and shit to start with.

The only part that would be hard to do is create the menu.