Kevlar Vests

In the game there is one kind of Kevlar vest. Also, you repair them with Kevlar plates, which is unreal because you have to repair them with Kevlar fabric and ceramic plates. IRL there are different kinds of vests and some are better than armor. I think it should be changed.

MINE. THIS ONE IS MINE, I WILL DO THIS. Though for simplicity’s sake it’s probably best to keep it as “Kevlar plates” and view it as the assorter materials needed. I think Gryph explained it once when applied to a car-door… I’ll have to find the post.

Correction, it was GrizzlyAdamz

[quote author=GrizzlyAdamz link=topic=3465.msg51236#msg51236 date=1380761393]
‘Steel frame: A large frame made of steel. Useful for crafting.’ is a very ambiguous item, purposefully. The use of our imagination for what it should be both cuts down on programming overhead and makes the crafting system more efficient, (and I assert fun).
Current system for adding a car door to a deathdozer 9000:

1. Remove car door from wreck for 1x steel frame
  2. Install car door on deathdozer 9000 with 1x steel frame

Nightmare scenario, (which is entirely reasonable)

1. remove medium door from wreck
  2. dissassemble medium door- retrieve 4x medium L-frames 1x small glass pane 10x small machinery 3feet electronics 1x hinges
  3. smelt 10x small machinery into 2x medium |-frame
  4. Acquire 2x small glass plates
  5. Smelt 3x small glass panes into 1x large glass pane
  6. Acquire 20x medium bolts 1x medium L-frame
  7. Combine 20x medium bolts, 2x medium |-frames & 5x medium L-frames to make 1x Large door
  8. Acquire 1foot electronics & 1x hinges
  9. Install 1x Large door on deathdozer 9000 with 4feet electronics and 2x hinges

Just add in different vest with there appropriate stopping power. Some can only be found in military areas and military bodies.

Add plate carrier vest (full and empty), and kevlar vest. Kevlar vest needs to be repaired with kevlar, but plate carrier can be repaired with a sewing kit. Make the platecarrier offer very little protection until you put either steel (heavier), ceramic (lighter, similar protection) or makeshift (medium weight, less protection) plates into them.

I’m still waiting on actual wearable containers, but when that happens this will make more sense. I hope…

[quote=“Luissen, post:4, topic:4193”]Add plate carrier vest (full and empty), and kevlar vest. Kevlar vest needs to be repaired with kevlar, but plate carrier can be repaired with a sewing kit. Make the platecarrier offer very little protection until you put either steel (heavier), ceramic (lighter, similar protection) or makeshift (medium weight, less protection) plates into them.

I’m still waiting on actual wearable containers, but when that happens this will make more sense. I hope…[/quote]

For the time being I’ll just use the crafting menu… I think I can use vehicle plating… might be interesting…

Double Posting Because PR’d!

I like it… Although isn’t it possible for someone to just uncraft and recraft to fully repair those modular vests for 0 cost?

I like it… Although isn’t it possible for someone to just uncraft and recraft to fully repair those modular vests for 0 cost?[/quote]

…I had not anticipated that… it was meant to make the plates swappable… does anyone know if damaged stuff stays damaged on disassembly?

It does not.

Maybe make it so the recipes are not reversible and add a generic “Remove additional plating from vest” recipe?

You still get an undamaged vest then… and undamaged plating.

No idea how exactly you’re implementing all this, but maybe put something in iuse.cpp for an 'A’ctivate action?

You still get an undamaged vest then… and undamaged plating.[/quote]

Err… I meant to say the plating goes ‘poof’… Not optimal, but better than free repairs.

I’ve considered it, but I don’t know how to do it XD However the problem remains that (I’m not 100% on this) the game doesn’t track damage to objects in decrafting, I think the only place it does is in vehicles.

Someone else that actually knows c++ and how DDA is structured could throw together simple code that explicitly creates plates with the appropriate damage level. I am not one of those people, yet.

I’m pretty sure the kevlar vest item is supposed to be an actual kevlar vest, similar to what most cops wear. If we’re going to add hard body armor, we should just make it a separate item (it wouldn’t make sense for dead cops to be wearing military-grade ballistic vests unless this game is set in Boston).

Fairly sure New england is in Boston.

I split it up into several groups ranging from “I don’t want to get killed by a .22” to “I want something that might stop an armor-penetrating round from a sniper rifle” with varying spawn chances of zed-cops as well as in their spawn-groups as well.

Considering the Robotic Police deployment for anti-riot measures I think I’m within the lore to give the police a slight bump in protection. (From “Stops most pistol rounds” to “stops small rifle rounds”)

Since this appears to be the thread where the MBR vests originated, I’m going to resurrect it to mention I tried cutting up every type of MBR vest, and apart from the ceramic one, which apparently can’t be cut up, every other vest cuts up into exactly 24 kevlar plates. Even the empty one and the kevlar-plated one. Maybe this should be adjusted, so the empty one cuts up into less kevlar, the kevlar-plated one into more kevlar, and the steel/hard/superallor-plated ones give you some scrap metal.