Keeping cool the easy way

Battery powered fans - cram it full of batteries, set it up like a trap/bedroll, and it keeps everything within a square or two a small bit cooler than the outside temperature.

Swamp coolers - if you’ve never seen one before they’re basically a big fan that runs the air over a big, wet, absorbent surface which cools the output via evaporative cooling. Since we don’t have normal electrical outlets in Cataclysmworld perhaps you’d stuff it full of batteries and water (if it’s possible to have an object that requires two fuel types at once) and once active, it would keep a small radius of squares around it a good bit cooler than the ambient temperature.

Automotive AC. Seriously, it’s not even been an option on cars for decades in RL; they all come with it standard now. Perhaps while you’re driving you could toggle it on and off via the vehicle context menu. Maybe it needs a special component, maybe it only works if your seat has a roof tile over it, maybe it eats a little extra fuel as a limiter.

Even better and simpler would be the option to use rags/bandanas along with water to gain a short-lived evaporative cooling cloth to wear around your head/neck.

Cooling vests would be extra nice to have in the scorching heat of summertime (perhaps just an article of clothing that has a negative warmth number if that’s even possible) perhaps you could find them in sporting goods/hardware stores/hospitals along with the chemical packs that make them work.

Come to think of it, this is making me want to try modding some of this stuff into the game to see if it’s even possible.

Automotive AC is already in the game, so there’s that.

Also; all new units of DoubleTech Industries Power Armor™ comes with a temperature regulator that’ll keep you cool in the heat, and keep you warm in the cold!

Well that’s one down!
I’d never noticed cars to have air conditioning before, but now I gotta fire it up and play with it.
Is it a toggle, or is it a constant effect?

Good ol’ manual fans? Flap flap flap, cool down a bit.

cough …weaponize… cough

Razor fan. M-Mortal Kombat…?

[quote=“Rivet, post:3, topic:1685”]Well that’s one down!
I’d never noticed cars to have air conditioning before, but now I gotta fire it up and play with it.
Is it a toggle, or is it a constant effect?[/quote]
It’s a constant effect, and IIRC buildings have a similar effect as well when you are inside.

Do cars and buildings also keep you warm(er) in cold weather?
None of my saves are currently in winter, so I can’t check at the moment.

[quote=“Rivet, post:6, topic:1685”]Do cars and buildings also keep you warm(er) in cold weather?
None of my saves are currently in winter, so I can’t check at the moment.[/quote]

I believe so, yes.

Two final questions, do constructed buildings count for this and do open vehicles count?
In other words, if I make a little house in the woods from scratch using my construction-awesomeness, will it keep me warmer/cooler like a generated building, or is that a property of the pre-generated structures?
Do motorcycles/four wheelers/bicycles have air conditioning?

I have this thing about building my own house in the woods once I reach a certain point of late-game. I’ve probably played too much UrW.

[quote=“Rivet, post:8, topic:1685”]Two final questions, do constructed buildings count for this and do open vehicles count?
In other words, if I make a little house in the woods from scratch using my construction-awesomeness, will it keep me warmer/cooler like a generated building, or is that a property of the pre-generated structures?
Do motorcycles/four wheelers/bicycles have air conditioning?

I have this thing about building my own house in the woods once I reach a certain point of late-game. I’ve probably played too much UrW.[/quote]

Constructed buildings should be no different from “natural” buildings.

Open vehicles do not provide AC/warmth, it uses the In/Out flag from the vehicle. This means that opening the door on a hot day can give you a heat-stroke if you’re not careful. :stuck_out_tongue:

opening the door on a hot day can give you a heat-stroke

Sounds like Florida.

Driving at speed on a vehicle that’s outside should really cool you down too.

Unless it is hot and dry…
I was a pinion on a moto on a hot and dry day…It was like a thousand hot needles sticking into my skin. Also worst wind rash EVER!

currently i always sleep in vehicles because they seem to regulate temperature perfectly. it doesnt even seem to cost them any fuel, and if you add in a headlight at the back you can read in there too.

[quote=“Williham, post:7, topic:1685”][quote=“Rivet, post:6, topic:1685”]Do cars and buildings also keep you warm(er) in cold weather?
None of my saves are currently in winter, so I can’t check at the moment.[/quote]

I believe so, yes.[/quote]

Cite, please? Last I heard, Shoes specifically had inside being no different than outside in temperature terms, on account of wind & humidity not being modeled in-game. It’d be nice to have R-values back.

If not, one could probably jury rig a crafting item of “swamp cooler charges” made with batteries and water, that can be disassembled into batteries and water again if you choose to do so?

Pull Request.

As of the moment being in an air conditioned area functions identically to the bio-climate control CBM, in that if you are scorching or cold it will halve the temperature back towards a normal one.

OK, good to know. Thanks (though that pull request is closed at “wants to merge”).

Ah, my bad. It was eventually merged in with a later request though. :stuck_out_tongue:

What about some kind of super freezing future chemical. An endothermic chemical that blasts off cold like liquid nitrogen when exposed to air. Cryostaline would be a liquid chemical that could be ingested if you like rock solid turds. Also an instant freezing status on the player.

I read a few misconceptions on the last page, I don’t think they were totally cleared up.

1. Being in a running car will regulate your body temp, thanks to the AC/heater. AtomicDryad wants to add specific car parts to that effect, but for now it is magic and always on.

2. Buildings do not affect warmth in any way, except to shield you from the bonus of sunny and clear weather. There are plans to have powered buldings provide AC, but they are not powered at the moment.

As KA101, I have not implemeted anything where buildings keep you warmer. I don’t think anyone else has either. The linked pull request only has code dealing with vehicles and one specific CBM. Some day, I wish to add it though!

edit: Also, are you running into issues of over heating when you don’t expect it? It’s been a while since people felt the body temp system was wonky, and I wonder if people stopped trying to get it fixed, or if it’s working as intended! (minus a few features)