Japanese stuff (New profession, new clothing, changes to existing items, martial arts apply to fake/inferior weapons)

After playing Sekiro, I’ve been in the mood for roleplaying as a Japanese warrior or something like that. There is a samurai profession in the Medieval mod, which is cool, but I wanted a profession that felt like early game instead of starting with such a powerful weapon like the katana. I made my own, and while I was doing that I started getting all kinds of ideas, some of which I’ve implemented and others which are still just ideas. May of these are balance-altering, so I wanted to see what others think.

First of all, this is the profession:

{
    "type": "profession",
    "ident": "urban_samurai",
    "name": "Urban Samurai",
    "description": "Every time you were asked to leave the premises because of your katana, you'd fantasize about shutting them up with a swift beheading. Going to the store isn't all that different now, except the last part happens in reality. Well, it would if the katana wasn't made of wood.",
    "points": 3,
    "skills": { "level": 1, "name": "cutting" },
    "items": {
        "female": [ "chestwrap" ],
        "both": {
            "items": [
                "kimono",
                "haori",
                "hakama",
                "loincloth",
                "tabi_dress",
                "geta",
                "obi_gi",
                "wristwatch",
                "cell_phone",
                "manual_niten"
            ],
            "entries": [
                { "item": "bokken_inferior", "container-item": "scabbard" }
            ]
        }
    }
}

The original concept that this would be a Japan obsessed person, who might start with some combination of the books for Ninjutsu, Niten Ichi-Ryu, the book for crafting Japanese weapons, the book for crafting Japanese armor, and the book for sushi recipes, and a high point cost. But I thought it probably doesn’t make sense for someone to be carrying around all those books. In the end I went with just the niten book, because I guess it’s like his bible. The point score is high solely because of the niten book, which would otherwise cost 3 points as a trait. The fact that he starts with a niten-compatible weapon makes this profession unique. An alternate idea is to start him with the book for crafting the katana instead of the niten book, and subtracting 1 from his point cost.

Currently Niten Ichi-Ryu works with the katana, the bokken, the wakizashi, and the firekatana. It doesn’t work with the katana_fake or the katana_inferior, or the fake/inferior versions of the other items. I thought there’s no reason why we shouldn’t perform the same techniques with those items, so I added all of those variants to Niten Ichi-Ryu. For the sake of consistency, I went ahead and did the same for all martial arts that have weapons with fake and inferior versions. I realize this is a slightly drastic change, so I thought maybe it’s worth talking about. Should inferior and fake versions of weapons have full martial art compatibility? At the very least, I think inferior versions should, since the concept seems to be that they’re mass-produced and/or shoddily made but are more than just for show.

I added inferior and fake versions of the naginata, and added those and the survivor naginata to the spears martial art. And I messed a bit with the stats of fake and inferior versions, generally making them slightly better. The fake weapons are still worse than a makeshift crowbar in terms of stats, but if you have Niten Ichi-Ryu, they may still be worth using. I added 2-4 cutting damage to all versions of the bokken, reasoning that they could definitely leave a nasty shallow cut if drawn across bare skin. I moved the katana and some other weapons out of the tools file and into the melee file, because I don’t see why they should be in the tools file.

I added two new pieces of clothing:

{
    "id": "yukata",
    "type": "ARMOR",
    "name": "yukata",
    "description": "A loose, breezy robe secured with a sash. Sometimes worn as summerwear, or at the onsen.",
    "weight": 900,
    "volume": 12,
    "price": 5000,
    "to_hit": -5,
    "material": [ "cotton" ],
    "symbol": "[",
    "color": "blue",
    "covers": [ "LEGS", "TORSO", "ARMS" ],
    "coverage": 80,
    "encumbrance": 3,
    "storage": 1,
    "warmth": 1,
    "material_thickness": 1,
    "flags": [ "VARSIZE", "FANCY" ]
  }

The yukata is just another version of the kimono, it’s mostly worse but the idea is it’s good for staying cool, mostly it’s just flavor.

{
    "id": "haori",
    "name": "haori",
    "description": "A loose, flowing jacket with wide sleeves that is often worn unfastened over a kimono. Luxurious.",
    "weight": 800,
    "volume": 8,
    "price": 30000,
    "to_hit": -5,
    "color": "green",
    "covers": [ "TORSO", "ARMS" ],
    "coverage": 60,
    "encumbrance": 5,
    "warmth": 10,
    "flags": [ "VARSIZE", "FANCY", "OUTER" ]
  }

The haori sits in a niche of an outer wear weapon that has a low encumbrance, which is shared by the new hakama item I added.

I added a new hakama item and renamed the existing hakama item (“hakama_gi” in the files) to “hakama gi”. It’s an outer layer leg wear item, with an unfitted encumbrance of 6. I think the only other outer layer leg armor item is the turnout trousers. In reality hakama can refer to a piece of martial arts garment or a similar garment not used in martial arts.

{
    "id": "hakama",
    "name": "hakama",
    "description": "A flowing, pleated garment which can be worn over a kimono.",
    "weight": 400,
    "volume": 6,
    "price": 3000,
    "color": "red",
    "covers": [ "LEGS" ],
    "coverage": 100,
    "encumbrance": 6,
    "warmth": 15,
    "flags": [ "VARSIZE", "OUTER" ]
  }

The new hakama and the haori together can be worn on top of a kimono without any layer conflicts. I like that because it reflects the fact that traditional Japanese clothing sometimes involves many intricate layers of clothing. Overall, the set is weak in terms of armor, and has little storage, but has very low encumbrance, and includes two fancy items. I also made some small changes to the hakama_gi and zubon_gi items in order to differentiate them.

I have an idea to add a crafting book with tailoring recipes for Japanese clothing, which I haven’t implemented yet. Another idea is to make some kind of wannabe ninja profession

I haven’t changed the itemgroups yet, either.

I made all of these changes to a local copy of the 0.D version and haven’t got around to doing a merge yet, or putting it on github. For now, I’m just curious what people think.

6 Likes

I’ve finalized my changes.

"type": "profession",
"ident": "urban_samurai",
"name": "Urban Samurai",
"description": "You were an unusual presence in town, always sighted in what appeared to be a Japanese bathrobe. Some claimed you were the earthly apparition of an old shinto god; others said you once won a skateboarding championship in another state. More importantly, the grocery service stopped coming last week, and now the TV no longer turns on. This displeases you.",
"points": 2,
"skills": { "level": 2, "name": "melee" },
"items": {
  "male": {
      "entries": [ { "item": "wakizashi_inferior", "container-item": "scabbard" } ]
    },
    "female": {
        "chestwrap",
        "barrette"
      ],
      "entries": [ { "item": "bokken_inferior", "container-item": "scabbard" } ]
    },
  "both": {
      "haori",
      "kimono",
      "hakama",
      "loincloth",
      "tabi_dress",
      "geta"
    ],
    "entries": [ { "item": "whiskey", "container-item": "flask_hip" } ]
    }
  }
  • Added urban samurai. Starts with very fancy clothes and decent early-game melee. It is unique in being the only profession to start with a weapon compatible with niten ichi-ryu.
  • All martial arts which applied to weapons with fake and inferior variants now apply to all fake and inferior variants. This was already the case for the halberd and halberd_fake, now it’s consistent for all weapons. Also, the survivor naginata was added to sojutsu.

• Small buff to fake and inferior variants of Japanese weapons. Fake variants are still worse than a makeshift crowbar.

• Added naginata_fake and naginata_inferior.

• Yukata added. Yukata is similar to the kimono, but has less protection and less warmth and even less encumbrance. It is slightly more common than the kimono. Like the kimono, it has the flag FANCY.

"An easy to wear, breezy Japanese robe secured with a sash. Essentially Japanese pajamas. Great to wear out on a summer night."

• Haori added. It is a torso and arm outer garment with the SUPER_FANCY flag and low encumbrance. It is not very protective. It is a rare item. (for reference, with the stylish trait, wearing a kimono by itself gives a morale bonus of 8, and a haori by itself gives 8, and wearing them at the same time gives 10, because of how stylish bonuses stack.)

"A loose coat with wide sleeves that is worn unfastened over a kimono. It is jet black with sparse, tasteful golden embroidery."

• Dress hakama added. This is an outer wear leg garment. It is not very protective. The idea is that you could comfortably wear it over a kimono or yukata (or anything else)

• keikogi, karate_gi, zubon_gi, hakama_gi now have 2 defense, instead of 1, and have the STURDY flag. The idea is that martial arts wear is meant to withstand a lot of abuse and tumbling and are at least as tough and more tear-proof than jeans, which have 3(?) defense. keikogi and zubon_gi are now identical in terms of stats to the karate_gi, except that they’re for legs or upper body only. hakama_gi now has slightly more coverage and warmth than zubon_gi, at the expense of being slightly more cumbersome.

• tabi_gi and tabi_dress no longer have 10 encumbrance, which made them straight worse than socks which have 0 encumbrance and otherwise identical stats.

• added the new items to the itemgroups, with haori being treated as a rare item and the kimono is slightly less common than before, while yukata is more common. Also, geta was added to itemgroups. Dojos now have a slight chance of spawning haori and yukata and geta

If you want to see the exact changes I’ve made, go to https://github.com/SeanWiig/Cataclysm-DDA/commits/master and click on the commits to see which lines were changed.

Next, I plan on adding the tailoring textbook for Japanese clothes.

4 Likes

Just some pixel art I’ve started. The top row is the current kimono. The middle row is a redesign of the kimono I made, to make it look more fancy instead of mundane looking. The bottom row is the yukata. On the right column, the haori is layered on top.

I’m thinking about how hakama layering will work. The desired look is for the haori to hang over the hakama, but since they are both outer layer items It probably won’t look the way I want it.

4 Likes

What about paper walls and sliding paper doors? Not much use but it fits the theme.

1 Like