Is farming for food really worth it?

Depends on the time of year. I don’t think I’ve EVER found any in spring, exceedingly rarely in winter (like once or twice ever), and very rarely in summer. It’s only common in autumn.[/quote]

I can’t stop getting it in summer. Admittedly never found any in spring, but I assumed it was to do with my survival level, rather than the season.[/quote]

I haven’t updated in a while - they must have changed it.

[quote="§k, post:15, topic:14127"]For a default year, one needs 56 * 200 = 11200 nutrition.
3 fruit leather gives 3 * 18 = 54.
3 fruit leather requires 1 blueberry and 5 sugar.
100 sugar requires 2 blueberries.
So 1 + 0.1 = 1.1 blueberries give 54 nutrition.

208 blueberries can feed a man for a year. 1 blueberry shrub gives about 4 berries and 4 seeds. One needs 52 seeds which grow to 52 shrubs which give 208 berries.

In summer, blueberry naturally appears on field in groups of 5 - 10. After visiting a couple of blueberry colonies, you will get all the seeds needed plus some berries that can be consumed right away.

Farming solves food problem in late game. Oat and buckwheat are also good economic plant, but the seeds take some effort to find.[/quote]
MMR is so old, he comes from a time when skills weren’t capped at 10. Due to that and my habit of butchering every zombie I see, MMR’s survival skill is at like 50. I once harvested two strawberry bushes and got ~300 berries. Are you telling me that I found enough food to feed a man for a year and a half!?

[quote=“TheFlame52, post:22, topic:14127”][quote="§k, post:15, topic:14127"]For a default year, one needs 56 * 200 = 11200 nutrition.

208 blueberries can feed a man for a year. 1 blueberry shrub gives about 4 berries and 4 seeds. One needs 52 seeds which grow to 52 shrubs which give 208 berries.

In summer, blueberry naturally appears on field in groups of 5 - 10. After visiting a couple of blueberry colonies, you will get all the seeds needed plus some berries that can be consumed right away.

Farming solves food problem in late game. Oat and buckwheat are also good economic plant, but the seeds take some effort to find.[/quote]
MMR is so old, he comes from a time when skills weren’t capped at 10. Due to that and my habit of butchering every zombie I see, MMR’s survival skill is at like 50. I once harvested two strawberry bushes and got ~300 berries. Are you telling me that I found enough food to feed a man for a year and a half!?[/quote]
Skills have a cap now? I figured if there was a way to raise the skill say a mod that added a level 10 recipe you could theoretically raise skills to infinity(-marksmanship as it is range based).

[quote=“DeWolf, post:23, topic:14127”][quote=“TheFlame52, post:22, topic:14127”][quote="§k, post:15, topic:14127"]For a default year, one needs 56 * 200 = 11200 nutrition.

MMR is so old, he comes from a time when skills weren’t capped at 10. Due to that and my habit of butchering every zombie I see, MMR’s survival skill is at like 50. I once harvested two strawberry bushes and got ~300 berries. Are you telling me that I found enough food to feed a man for a year and a half!?[/quote]
Skills have a cap now? I figured if there was a way to raise the skill say a mod that added a level 10 recipe you could theoretically raise skills to infinity(-marksmanship as it is range based).[/quote]

I was able to level piercing, bashing, swimming, and cutting to mid 20s through the NPC glitch where you ask them to train you in brawling and they train you in the last skill they taught you instead. I don’t have that save or anything anymore, but it’s def possible to go over 10 that way. I know I’ve gotten Fabrication to 10 and thought it kept leveling, but that was also in previous runs, and not sure I ever got it to 11 or not.

For the 300 berries from two bushes, is that maybe due to a cheesy :stuck_out_tongue: higher than average item spawn rate maybe? I don’t get that many at default settings, but have seen people talk about vending machines with more than one item, which also seems to only happen when you raise Item Spawn.

It’s not really a cap, more of a much increased slope. It’s much, much harder to raise skills above 10 now compared to a few versions ago.

[quote=“NuG, post:24, topic:14127”]I was able to level piercing, bashing, swimming, and cutting to mid 20s through the NPC glitch where you ask them to train you in brawling and they train you in the last skill they taught you instead. I don’t have that save or anything anymore, but it’s def possible to go over 10 that way. I know I’ve gotten Fabrication to 10 and thought it kept leveling, but that was also in previous runs, and not sure I ever got it to 11 or not.

For the 300 berries from two bushes, is that maybe due to a cheesy :stuck_out_tongue: higher than average item spawn rate maybe? I don’t get that many at default settings, but have seen people talk about vending machines with more than one item, which also seems to only happen when you raise Item Spawn.[/quote]
Did not know about that glitch, thanks for the info. Also, my item spawn rate is at 2.5. I guess that’s it.

It’s not really a cap, more of a much increased slope. It’s much, much harder to raise skills above 10 now compared to a few versions ago.

[quote=“NuG, post:24, topic:14127”]I was able to level piercing, bashing, swimming, and cutting to mid 20s through the NPC glitch where you ask them to train you in brawling and they train you in the last skill they taught you instead. I don’t have that save or anything anymore, but it’s def possible to go over 10 that way. I know I’ve gotten Fabrication to 10 and thought it kept leveling, but that was also in previous runs, and not sure I ever got it to 11 or not.

For the 300 berries from two bushes, is that maybe due to a cheesy :stuck_out_tongue: higher than average item spawn rate maybe? I don’t get that many at default settings, but have seen people talk about vending machines with more than one item, which also seems to only happen when you raise Item Spawn.[/quote]
Did not know about that glitch, thanks for the info. Also, my item spawn rate is at 2.5. I guess that’s it.[/quote]

Yep, you will only be able to use the glitch if you don’t know brawling yet, which you auto-learn from the skill unarmed lvl2 or 3. So if you ask them to teach you unarmed they will and brawling will disappear from their options to train because you auto-learn it. Also, if you have an active mission and ask the NPC form whom you’ve accepted the mission to train you, it will cancel the mission, but leave it in your mission log, so only ask to train when you don’t have an active mission with them, and once you do one mission and “ask for no payment” as a reward, they give you anything at 100% chance from then on usually anyway.