[In-progress] Base mod! generators

Thanks for responding, I understand that making every building into its own entity would be a pain and if we simply reworked the current vehicle system ATM with a smaller tiny frame that somebody could barely see/ stack with walls for inside work/said multi z level connections for power I could see the conversation dying immediately.

But I know this might sound like a stupid question but I’m assuming when you said double decker buses you’re only talking about everything above ground level, because I was also getting at putting connections through basements?

When I add support for stacked z-levels within a vehicle, there will be options to both build up and build down.

In addition, you would obviously be able to start building a vehicle in a basement and then build up to whatever z-level you prefered.

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying/ responding. Made sure to tell my friends about this game and they were quite interested after watching Seth’s review on YouTube.

Be safe and all that

1 Like

there is a portable generator thats a vehicle but in my head these arent vehicles and this is what i mean

there completely different these are vehicle generators generator

I’ll read everything. And post another comment few things I need to mention

Even at that you can use a massive generators with tows as well

I’ve noticed terrain witch should have more code well the counter part code, hmm what’s the issue with it being difficult, wouldn’t appliance be like menus with the menu activating, if no ones up for implementing base building electricity I’ll consider it but rn I’ve got to much mod work, family life and building todo. atm I have relaxed deadlines now for mods witch I know ill beat, GMC first.

But this wouldn’t do anything without other code, this should happen to keep the features ball rolling. The generators would have appliance maybe turn on but without normal electricity. well, there should be some sort of electricity or why do fridges work Constant? blocker? or code that makes it magically work?

I’d like to at least be able to have menus or at least something telling you have disconnected/unplugged the appliance/plug

Why would you rather base building in-vehicle JSON ? I don’t see a generator as a vehicle, but I know there are large two-wheeled and four-wheeled towed generators. I think we may be getting mixed up on this? I mean a standard small 5 - 25 generator I think 25 is a lot, i think if you end up using Vehicle building menu it will need extended and i think it would be simpler to just add a new variation because later down the line you will want a separate menu all together things might get confusing if it’s in the same menu because of the amount of different things you can build

solution 1
Make the game lose electricity after x amount of days

Solution 2
Get rid of electricity being a thing entirely (not code-wise) to make base building be of a thing that players want to do

Or there no point in using generators/other base power because you can literally take a fridge out a building that’s powered and move it where ever and it will work. this shouldn’t be a thing. but to apply base building menu this to every building and house might take some work witch if you use vehicle build menu for this it will be weird as well.

actually, i think the base building should work independently of any menus like how construction works but would require menus of its own when using as I have mentioned before.

only reason i said it still needs an alternator is that something you referenced
and you are thinking the wrong generators this is what i mean

• there is only one generator that is a vehicle portable_generator i can’t find v2 gasoline generator or large gas turbine generator the JSON regex cant find it
  • If devs are working on a solution for this ill wait to add my generators as tools that would need to be placed

I understand what you have said, I have made c++ code for my windows before with help from korggent, i am up for the task but it could be tedious and might be frustrating getting someone else to do this

this is how i visioned it, dependent on the appliance dependant on the menu. Witch the appliance code would need to be like "appliance": "generator", for example to execute that menu should allow for modded appliances as well, id still like construction to be in the construction menu though even for powered walls

these sound cool and could be factions as well if you want them added eventually this is where to post, i have a count of 10-15 relistic factions and 5-10 unrealistic

be nice if you could drive up ramps as well would work normal and not brake the vehicle, i haven’t tried this
and also a pump with a hose - my idea of using generators starts here

i was going to ask how a base with more then 1 floor would work but you answered it all ready

I really have very little idea what you’re saying. Please try writing in coherent sentences because I’m not up to decoding your word salad of ideas.

At any rate, response to the few bits I can understand:

• internally to the code, a vehicle is a class that has certain properties and can be used to represent certain things, such as portable wheeled generators. The fact that you don’t think of a wheeled generator as a vehicle doesn’t change the fact that vehicle is the class, in game, that has the best representation and support for the kinds of things that we expect portable generators to be able to do: to whit, store fuel and then burn that fuel to produce electricity.

I am really not sure what this sentence even means:
“be nice if you could drive up ramps as well would work normal and not brake the vehicle, i haven’t tried this”. Vehicle ramps exist in the recent experimentals, for about 3 months, and they don’t break vehicles as far as I know. If they do, that’s a bug that I will try to fix.

They don’t brake vehicles, either, though the vehicle ramp terrain does not have the FLAT flag and may have a higher move cost than FLAT terrain, depending on the vehicle weight and wheel layout.

Well, that was all of your writing that I could decode.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

my scottish is over powering in text :sweat_smile:

1 Like

hmm im confuesed at why you dont understand? you answered it perfectly and i havent played cdda in a year just want to add content till i revisit this awsome game

could easily be implemented, why not use “use_fuction” for menu text and transform into the electronic appliance but this require double JSON, would still need to be told its powered ( a diffrent way of doing this)

i refuse to go over it again and make it understandble. and cdda needs a alternative build menu/process for building non vehicles.

okay your logic if it has wheels its a vehicle is wrong all i take from this, but yes only way you can make a generator with wheels to work properly is using vehicle build menu.

I think its backwords that we have to use the vehicle build menu to make a base work and the potential is being held back because of this.
i don’t mind either way though implement or not.

Please reread [In-progress] Base mod! generators - #13 by mlangsdorf and [In-progress] Base mod! generators - #16 by mlangsdorf

The vehicle class is would be the base for a new appliance class and a new facility class that would use a different interface than the current vehicle interaction menu. An appliance would almost look like furniture and a facility would look like a lot of furniture and terrain. Internally to the game engine/C++ code, they would operate much like vehicles without wheels, because vehicle is the C++ class that already has support for burning fuel to produce electrical power, storing electrical power as electrical energy in batteries, and using electrical power to run electrically powered devices.

I’m not saying that a stand-alone generator (SAG) would be presented to the player as a vehicle, and actually said the opposite several times.

So when you say this:

cdda needs a alternative build menu/process for building non vehicles.

Yes, I kind of agree and laid out the current developer vision for what that would look like. I don’t care to do the work, but I offered repeatedly to assist someone else in doing it.

And when you say this:

i refuse to go over it again and make it understandble.

I refuse to attempt to communicate with you any longer until you’re willing to make it a two-way process.

and that’s due to an intelligent insult that I won’t quote. my attempts at communication are responded with fix your sentence structure. you have clearly had higher education in english that i dont care for.

The only thing I can glean from what you write is that you do not seem to get how coding works, and that you are trying to do something with generators. The rest is incomprehensible.

1 Like

show me what is incomprehensible and don’t make me laugh. clearly, people don’t understand basic English. I’m not worried about having a normal relationship or what I’m not here to make friends. if you are unwilling to actually read as well as mlong I see no point in entertaining this discussion.

if the devs feel the need to pass this on to another contributor then fine. you are holding back the games potential because you know where the code should sit and have already had this discussion. I couldn’t care regardless. I am not changing the way I talk and wright because a few entitle people can’t be arsed.

everything I have written is understandable if you are unwilling to make sense that your problem, not mine and I don’t care. this discussion is pointless because it happened before and you know what to do so why the fuck are you wasting time. I’m done entertaining conversations on here for topics like this because this should have been done

if you want to hold cdda back, by all means, fuck about all yous want

the only place anyone will get to speak to me is on my Discord I’m done with this. if you don’t implement it your self well you’re holding back an idea that’s been there for a long time, there’s games with more content that have been a thing less time than cdda has. all I see is time wasters, not my problem

if you want to hold cdda back, by all means, fuck about all yous want

Please, you clearly don’t understand the code so the fact that the people willing to help you don’t get what you’re trying to say is not really hurting cdda.